Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Where do you find anyone suggesting that only positive things be written about NT sports?   

I don't know. Maybe I just misinterpreted what people have been saying for years.

Continue with the Denton, DRC, Vito, TWU, and area high school bashing. I have zero ties to any of those groups.

If UNT has a problem with what the DRC writes how bout they buy them and then print whatever they like. That's how American media works now right?

  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I read the article Vito posted and it was clearly  very positive, "The Sunday leftovers -- UNT softball, women's basketball teams pick up hugs wins." Ok, it should be "huge" and it was huge in the body of the article. The print article appears to be very positive, at least that part I can read from the picture. The only negative appears to be in the teaser headline which VIto says is written by a "designer." I was technically correct in that there was a loss but obviously doesn't tease what actually happened accurately. But Vito wrote it was a poor choice of words. It appears to be more in the category of a mistake than a plot to hurt NT athletics. 

1.  No one especially me had a problem with what was written in the body of the article.  The teaser headline across the top of the front page was the deal breaker here.

2.  No, that’s not what he wrote about the teaser headline.

 He wrote: “The teaser was written by a designer looking to tie both stories together. It might not have been the best choice, but it was accurate.”

Nope...the two are no where on the same planet as being together nor are they accurate.

My thought was if that is indeed what that line across the top of the front page of the sports section is called...a “teaser”,...then why in hell would anyone be teased or encouraged to read further?  Shouldn’t something positive be there instead?

 

Rick

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

To me it’s directly intentional.  It’s been going on for far too long in regards to the university.  

If there’s any chance at all to diminish a Mean Green accomplishment they’ll do it.  Been going on for years.  

Going into Saturday evening, about the time our basketball game with wKYj was finishing up the first half’s its game,... NT Softball was 3-0 in that tournament.  

How anyone comes away with “lose in tourneys” at that point is just unbelievable?

Afterward, we lost in extra innings by 1 late that evening in a cold, miserable drizzle but came back and run ruled CB the next morning finishing 4-1.  

The DRC had almost 30 hours to decide to print that head line.  

Again...how in hell anyone paying an ounce of attention to the area sports results gets “Lose in tourneys” from a 4-1 tournament result is just bizarre?

 

Rick

Rick - I would love to meet you someday in person!  The passion you bring to all things Mean Green is contagious.  After reading your post earlier today, I felt like driving to DRC HQ and yell as loud as I could, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"  Please, keep up the good fight! GMG

  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

I read the article Vito posted and it was clearly  very positive, "The Sunday leftovers -- UNT softball, women's basketball teams pick up hugs wins." Ok, it should be "huge" and it was huge in the body of the article. The print article appears to be very positive, at least that part I can read from the picture. The only negative appears to be in the teaser headline which VIto says is written by a "designer." I was technically correct in that there was a loss but obviously doesn't tease what actually happened accurately. But Vito wrote it was a poor choice of words. It appears to be more in the category of a mistake than a plot to hurt NT athletics. 

Do constant mistakes still count as mistakes?  

  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

1.  No one especially me had a problem with what was written in the body of the article.  The teaser headline across the top of the front page was the deal breaker here.

2.  No, that’s not what he wrote about the teaser headline.

 He wrote: “The teaser was written by a designer looking to tie both stories together. It might not have been the best choice, but it was accurate.”

Nope...the two are no where on the same planet as being together nor are they accurate.

My thought was if that is indeed what that line across the top of the front page of the sports section is called...a “teaser”,...then why in hell would anyone be teased or encouraged to read further?  Shouldn’t something positive be there instead?

 

Rick

Wait, we have another winner. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My other issue is that they put us on the same level as TWU. Nothing against TWU as it is a fine institution of higher learning, but they play Division II level athletics. We beat the #20 ranked Texas A&M Aggiettes not Cameron University or someone like Rogers State that TWU plays. The win deserved its own article. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of y'all are wild. Bitching over a small headline in the local paper about women's softball. Even after Brett explained the situation and pointed out the coverage of softball has been very positive. 

I swear, some people on this board have the thinnest skin I've ever seen. THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY AGAINST UNT ATHLETICS!

  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Some of y'all are wild. Bitching over a small headline in the local paper about women's softball. Even after Brett explained the situation and pointed out the coverage of softball has been very positive. 

I swear, some people on this board have the thinnest skin I've ever seen. THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY AGAINST UNT ATHLETICS!

Yeah... I am with you here. Could the teaser on the front page have been better, sure.

But I am not sure what the goal is here. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Yeah... I am with you here. Could the teaser on the front page have been better, sure.

But I am not sure what the goal is here. 

This was a big weekend for the softball team, pretty much shaming a T25 team under the leadership of a new coach.

The DRC is in a position to draw readership and new fans to sports.  I guess it depends on what impact you think these teasers have on potential readers/attention.  The teaser they elected to show would motivated ZERO people to check out a possible winner to get behind.  ZERO interest in how a new coach is doing.

...seems more like a "nothing to see here folks" sentiment.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This was a big weekend for the softball team, pretty much shaming a T25 team under the leadership of a new coach.

The DRC is in a position to draw readership and new fans to sports.  I guess it depends on what impact you think these teasers have on potential readers/attention.  The teaser they elected to show would motivated ZERO people to check out a possible winner to get behind.  ZERO interest in how a new coach is doing.

...seems more like a "nothing to see here folks" sentiment.

So what are you going to do about it then?

  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

You are wrong, sir. I have been on this board too long to know otherwise.  In no particular order, the conspirators include: SMU, the College of Music, the NT Daily, the Denton Record Chronicle, the residents of Denia, and in general, the artsy-fartsy students that populate our campus.

Post of the day goes to...

  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

I read the online version and thought it would improve once it was out of BELO's grasp.  I was wrong.  Now, pretty much the only things I read are the sports and the obits.

The Police Blotter is a must read, as well.  Some crazy stuff periodically. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

You are wrong, sir. I have been on this board too long to know otherwise.  In no particular order, the conspirators include: SMU, the College of Music, the NT Daily, the Denton Record Chronicle, the residents of Denia, and in general, the artsy-fartsy students that populate our campus.

You forgot TWU, the City Council, Golden Triangle Mall, TxDOT, T-shirt fans, ESPN, and Al Hurley. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

1.  No one especially me had a problem with what was written in the body of the article.  The teaser headline across the top of the front page was the deal breaker here.

2.  No, that’s not what he wrote about the teaser headline.

 He wrote: “The teaser was written by a designer looking to tie both stories together. It might not have been the best choice, but it was accurate.”

Nope...the two are no where on the same planet as being together nor are they accurate.

My thought was if that is indeed what that line across the top of the front page of the sports section is called...a “teaser”,...then why in hell would anyone be teased or encouraged to read further?  Shouldn’t something positive be there instead?

 

Rick

 

While its wildly negatively misleading, and I have no idea why they would do that - to state that "UNT lost in tourney" is technically correct as Vito says.  It doesn't say, "UNT Lost the tourney", it says they lost "IN" the tourney, ,which as you stated, they did.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.