Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

3 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

No, it wasn't at all...that was one of the best Mean Green nights of my fan experience, and Gino Guidugli for life... but they ended up 7-7. The equivalency game is dangerous, and we're all probably about to play that LSU card while ignoring that Troy lost to South Alabama while scoring 8 points. I'm just frustrated. No non-SBC 9 win team has ever played in the NO Bowl before, and that combined with the absolute last conference matchup I'd pick just bums me out. 

and in two of our losses we were utterly embarrassed...one right off the most dramatic win, like, ever. 

I get your rationale...but our P5 chances are based on bowl games that MAY invite a C-USA team...one in a whole of a town during the middle of the week...and one where we think it'd be great to play Texas/Tech in Dallas...and while it'd make the best atmosphere I've been around for a UNT football game, in my mind it does, publicity wise, one of two things...either everyone talks about how far UT has fallen if we win, or it's a same ol' UNT if we lose...made worse if we get drilled in front of 30,000 UNT fans, half who have their UT gear just a few t-shirts down in the drawer.

6 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

giphy (5).gif

Sorry I will get on the right side... My point is a win > than a lose it don't matter what bowl it is or what the team is... When Boise started their bowl run they had the dang Humanatarian Bowl the first 3 years... But they Won.. 

I saw this on page 3, and sorry if it has been brought up between Pg3 and here..

But if we play Troy and lose to Troy.. isn’t that an even bigger drag in terms of hurting recruiting similar to how a win would give us a boost?

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

My Texas Tech friends refer to it as the “Kliff Kingsbury replacement” bowl. Neal Brown and Seth are two of their top targets to replace Kliff. Look for Kirby Hocutt to be in attendance.

Great. Can't wait to come on here if we get beat to read:

"Hey! At least Troy will lose heir coach and we won't!"

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Mean_Green09 said:

No

How does losing have no impact or a lesser impact, but yet a win does.. LOL the logic that we say oh we were runners up and lost to “insert SBC team” is sad.. 

i get the point that a SBC maybe a better chance at a W, but again why is this program “settling” for a while able game, when the mindset or said mindset is play anyone anywhere.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

wait, is this game a possibility?

I appreciate your sarcasm but the title was selected to keep the Tech fans from seeing it. I know full well where we are going bowling. Perhaps Seth and the team can go out for some drunken karaoke while we are there for nostalgia sake.

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

How does losing have no impact or a lesser impact, but yet a win does.. LOL the logic that we say oh we were runners up and lost to “insert SBC team” is sad.. 

i get the point that a SBC maybe a better chance at a W, but again why is this program “settling” for a while able game, when the mindset or said mindset is play anyone anywhere.. 

Where is the negative impact going to be felt? Are we going to lose a potential recruit because we lost a bowl game? Probably not. I dont think loosing this game is going to hurt the recruiting effort down the stretch. It wouldnt matter if we lost to FSU or Troy. The impact of a bowl game loss will be minimal. 

@BillySee58 or @TheReal_jayD can tell me if Im wrong. 

Not sure how you feel the program is settling.

It is so rich to see our fans bitch about SMU and the entire SWC of old look down on us and refuse to be in a Conference with us unless they have no other option (Rice), then they bitch about UTSA being in our conference and not paying their dues, and now they bitch about not playing against a team from a conference we used to play in that provides us with a winnable game and against teams in Troy, Arky State, or Appy State that are better than 75% of CUSA. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

It is so rich to see our fans bitch about SMU and the entire SWC of old look down on us and refuse to be in a Conference with us unless they have no other option (Rice), then they bitch about UTSA being in our conference and not paying their dues, and now they bitch about not playing against a team from a conference we used to play in that provides us with a winnable game and against teams in Troy, Arky State, or Appy State that are better than 75% of CUSA. 

You do all of these things. What's your point?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

y'all are cute if you think "perception" of our program is going to swing dramatically among many outside of this little dysfunctional community whether we play in New Orleans or against some Big12 school in Dallas or an ACC school in Shreveport.

UNT beats Texas in HoD...do you really think the headlines will be about SL and how he's turning things around? no...it'll be how far Texas has fallen...how much work Herman has left to do...hell, what is Aggie doing today will take priority over any real media buzz for UNT. if UNT get's drilled by a Texas team I don't think we're quite ready for, it'll be same ol' UNT.

Yes, @Censored by Laurie is exactly correct. Look at an even bigger upset - Boise beating OU in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. The headlines in newspapers and ESPN wasn't about how great Boise was - the headlines were how OU stumbled to such an obviously inferior opponent. If you talked to the fans of Power conference football at the time, it was all about how OU was disappointed to miss the National Championship game and that was why they lost. Only the people who followed non-power teams, which is only about 15% of the football fans, thought Boise did something great. To the other 85%, it was a fluke. Boise had to win more over multiple years to gain some national respect and the STILL didn't get enough respect to get into a Power Conference. 

Now, if we do get a chance to play a 6-6 Big XII team and win, that's great. But it will always be noted by the Big XII schools and the national press it was against a weak team in a down year. 

12 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I appreciate your sarcasm but the title was selected to keep the Tech fans from seeing it. I know full well where we are going bowling. Perhaps Seth and the team can go out for some drunken karaoke while we are there for nostalgia sake.

Just so long as the sarcasm is appreciated.

I'll cue up The Scorpions and keep the mic hot for ya!

2 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Yes, @Censored by Laurie is exactly correct. Look at an even bigger upset - Boise beating OU in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. The headlines in newspapers and ESPN wasn't about how great Boise was - the headlines were how OU stumbled to such an obviously inferior opponent. If you talked to the fans of Power conference football at the time, it was all about how OU was disappointed to miss the National Championship game and that was why they lost. Only the people who followed non-power teams, which is only about 15% of the football fans, thought Boise did something great. To the other 85%, it was a fluke. Boise had to win more over multiple years to gain some national respect and the STILL didn't get enough respect to get into a Power Conference. 

Now, if we do get a chance to play a 6-6 Big XII team and win, that's great. But it will always be noted by the Big XII schools and the national press it was against a weak team in a down year. 

I disagree. Boise was a big deal and in the news for weeks or months after that game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1