Odds Harrell and Filani leave for UTEP?

Andrew

2 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Don’t discount those two coaches going to UTEP.  It’s all about the benjamins.

I've been thinking about how we're going to have to increase our spending as we want to continually improve. I just hope we have the funding for that and that the university buys in.

• Upvote 1

Just five of the school’s 18 head coaches at UTEP  have W-L records north of .500. 

Not saying what North Texas had to offer for Littrell was a pretty picture when he got here. But at least Littrell saw that our location is in DFW and knew that the recruiting would be one of the better places in CUSA to improve success. And North Texas had more competitive salaries coaching wise. I think it would be wise to ride out another year or two here at UNT, because Harrell might be the next head coach here if UNT stays 2017 successful. 

But some people only see money green, and maybe Harrell wants to gamble a bigger salary and a HUGE head coach gamble out in the remote desert of west Texas. (I think he'd be making a big mistake and that is putting my UNT fandom bias opinion aside). 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I'm curious to know what others think about this situation. Will they leave at the end of the year or will they stay with UNT. 

I don''t think they end up at UTEP.. But i do think its possible that GH leaves for a bigger OC gig possibly..

WB and NS have already said they will do what they can to keep SL and I would assume that would apply to the staff as well. GH has only been calling plays for 18 games now, and while the offense has been great this year, it was nearly bottom of the barrel (believe we ranked 117 last year).. 

• Haha 1

One thing to keep in mind is UTEP's President (Dr. Natalico) might do some of the talk, but she does not support Football.  At this point, they are not adding the resources. Hopefully, GH stays long enough to take over if Seth moves on. 

Funny in a way to think how not that long ago (earlier this season) many were saying that maybe GH needed to be replaced, now there's talk of him get a HC job.

P.S. If I were UTEP I would consider going after NMSU's coach. He's making progress with less than nothing to work with. If he can get players to LC, he should have no problem getting them to UTEP

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Not sure North Texas was viewed any different two years ago

Littrell makes around 1 million and UTEP's head coach makes about half that. Plus, one gets to live in a cool place and the other gets to live in El Paso. (People from EP love it. No one else does, not starting an argument.) Even 2 years ago UNT was investing in athletics. UTEP wasn't. UNT is hard to recruit at times. UTEP is close to impossible all the time. If you have a family there's no comparison for the Mrs and kids. Those are off the top of my head. Those are obvious views changers.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Just stop all this speculation.  I doubt anyone leaves before the season is over. 

I am much more concerned with how this season plays out of the field.  

Enjoy the season.

It's not speculation as they are in looking into offering Graham the head coach positions and Filani would move in as the OC. It could obviously fall apart or they could wait for better options, but it's definitely not rumor/speculation. It just doesn't mean they have to accept any offer UTEP throws their way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3