Official FAU Game Score Prediction Thread

MeanGreenTexan

What an emotional roller coaster last Saturday.

If you were angry enough to leave the game after one of the poorest-executed 4th down plays ever, you were not alone.   
If you stayed and got your hopes up slightly when the defense held, you probably felt like your loyalty was rewarded with a gut-punch when they perfectly executed their punt, downing it at the 2-yd line.
If you STILL believed... you were in for a memorable/elating finish.

This week, NT travels to the Florida coast to take on the "other" Owls of Florida Atlantic.   This is a team that is on the upswing, running the ball extremely well.  Oh, and former UNT recruiting target DeAndre McNeal leads the team in receiving.

Their defense appears to be porous against the run, giving up a whopping 258yds/game on average!   That is good for Mr. Jeffrey Wilson, who should have a monster day against these guys.
Problem is, their rush offense is also very potent.  So our defense is going to need to stack the box a little and *gulp* trust the corners to cover.
Their QB (another Driskel) appears to be similar to UAB's Erdley (who didn't have a very good day running against us) with some wheels.  Going to need Ejiya or Garner to spy him (or do whatever we were doing against Erdley, because it worked beautifully).

Preseason, I had this one as a sure-win, as I figured FAU would have taken a few conference L's by now and start to unravel/become undisciplined.   That does not appear to be the case, and they, along with Marshall & WKY, are looking like the only real threats in the East right now.

The weather is forecasting to be rainy on Saturday in Boca Raton, so I would not expect our offense to be as explosive as usual.  Much more running the ball than normal (which should work out nicely against this poor FAU rush D)... I expect a big day from Wilson/Smith/Fine (&Darden/Guyton on the jet sweeps) running the ball.

Give me another Mean Green Win.

UNT: 31
FAU: 21

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

All I'm gonna say is that if we win this game, we are playoff bound:

We beat FAU

FAU beat MTSU

MTSU beat Syracuse

Syracuse beat Clemson

Lock it and get your plane tickets and hotel rooms, folks. 

Yep.   Easily-explained losses so far for the playoff selection committee.
Fluke win by rival, SMU as UNT was looking past them.   
And our guys were all teary-eyed from the wave to the children's hospital patients in Iowa & too overcome with emotion to finish out that game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yep.   Easily-explained losses so far for the playoff selection committee.
Fluke win by rival, SMU as UNT was looking past them.   
And our guys were all teary-eyed from the wave to the children's hospital patients in Iowa & too overcome with emotion to finish out that game.

Well it only makes sense if you look at all the rankings services, the transitive property clearly outweighs any head to head competition per UTSA and Southern Miss still being ranked above us. 

15 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Well it only makes sense if you look at all the rankings services, the transitive property clearly outweighs any head to head competition per UTSA and Southern Miss still being ranked above us. 

If that is the case, why don't we get the transitive wins since we beat... you know what, never mind. Either I am never going to understand these rankings or they are just far too lazy to actually look at things. Not sure which, but I think I have a good idea.

Balanced attack prove to much from FAU to keep up with.

Fine 29/38 for 289 yards 2 TD

Wilson 23 carries for 168 yards 1 TD 3 receptions 38 yards 

Fine and the others combine for 129 yards rushing and another TD.

Plus 3 FG  

Defense allows 98 yards rushing on 34 carries and 380 passing

onside kick fails for FAU and Fine kneels 3 straight time to kill the clock

UNT 37

FAU 29

• Upvote 2

Hello my Conference USA friends,

FAU 42

UNT 28

Don't read to much into the defensive stats; Navy and Wisconsin have a way to skew those stats.  Our running game is a beast.  Set a program team rushing record 2 of the last 3 games.  The passing game has been unexplainably poor.  We will see if any progress has been made over the bye week in that department.  We just need it to improve slightly with the way we run the ball.  I am looking forward to the game and I hope some of you can make it down here for the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2