CUSA Opening Week Attendence

Cerebus

Typical for NT.....said in a earlier thread WB, SL, and gang have a ways to go. BUT....I'll give them a pass on this one considering all that was going on in Texas this weekend and the fact it was the first holiday of the new school year. I know its weak.......

22 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Typical for NT.....said in a earlier thread WB, SL, and gang have a ways to go. BUT....I'll give them a pass on this one considering all that was going on in Texas this weekend and the fact it was the first holiday of the new school year. I know its weak.......

First holiday of the school year applies to the other schools as well.

• Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

SMUg only had 20k, let's see how it shakes out once this fake gas crisis passes and it isn't a holiday weekend. The UAB game will be a fair indicator. If UT cant sellout in the first home game for their golden boy coach then you know something else is going on.

Actually the UT game was the lowest attendance in 5 years. Or maybe it was opener but either way

As posted yesterday, fans of schools that win plan their vacations/holidays to include taking in the game.  For some, it is the destination.  RVs of diehard fans show up midweek in places like Tuscaloosa and Norman.  We are not there yet.  We need to do a lot of winning.

And, I mean, a lot of winning.  I don't mean "playing better than last year," "hanging in there with (P5) for a quarter or half," "went 5-8, qualifying for a bowl because the last staff did its job in getting the players' to pay attention to academics."

We are an afterthought even to most of our own alumni and former students because we lose so often.  It's a real battle.  Most of us will always attend.  But, we're not the target.  The target is those not at Apogee with us.

Holidays can't be an excuse.  We have to quit the excuses.  If people can find a way to vacation around Norman, OK/OKC, then surely they can find a way to vacation around Denton, TX/DFW.  Denton and Norman are both about 30-40 miles from Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington and OKC respectively. 

I'll say this while we're discussing it, I've never understood why as a music school, with bands galore, there isn't more done in conjunction with local music venues to have live music or advertise places to go after the game.  Am I crazy to try to, maybe, tie the One O'Clock Lab Band, for instance, into a weekend experience here? 

Just trying to think "outside the box" for something that really shouldn't be "outside the box" for our school.  How can we marry up an area where we're the best with an area we are trying to improve.  Can we really not help ourselves here, even with programs within our own university?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We have to remember UAB was it's first game back after 3 years... the question is, can they keep it up?

If UNT dropped their program for 3 yrs, school would be lucky to get 10k for a restart, shows the huge difference in culture, UAB cared enough to resurrect, UNT is content right now to remain status quo, hoping the next year will be better.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

I am surprised any of you thought our attendance would be different.  I mean it sucks but it is the same level of suck we have had for many years.  There really is no mystery surrounding our attendance issues.  We have been one of the worst college football programs in the country for most of my  43 years on this planet.   With only the occasional signs of life through that time.  Our marquee wins have been against some sub par Tech teams and a bad Baylor team. Hell we still talk about a LOSS to Texas.  We created our own culture over a long period of time.  So you don't just go hire a coach rack up 5 wins and expect a whole new fan base to appear.  This will take a long time to fix and require a lot of winning. 

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

As posted yesterday, fans of schools that win plan their vacations/holidays to include taking in the game.  For some, it is the destination.  RVs of diehard fans show up midweek in places like Tuscaloosa and Norman.  We are not there yet.  We need to do a lot of winning.

And, I mean, a lot of winning.  I don't mean "playing better than last year," "hanging in there with (P5) for a quarter or half," "went 5-8, qualifying for a bowl because the last staff did its job in getting the players' to pay attention to academics."

We are an afterthought even to most of our own alumni and former students because we lose so often.  It's a real battle.  Most of us will always attend.  But, we're not the target.  The target is those not at Apogee with us.

Holidays can't be an excuse.  We have to quit the excuses.  If people can find a way to vacation around Norman, OK/OKC, then surely they can find a way to vacation around Denton, TX/DFW.  Denton and Norman are both about 30-40 miles from Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington and OKC respectively. 

I'll say this while we're discussing it, I've never understood why as a music school, with bands galore, there isn't more done in conjunction with local music venues to have live music or advertise places to go after the game.  Am I crazy to try to, maybe, tie the One O'Clock Lab Band, for instance, into a weekend experience here? 

Just trying to think "outside the box" for something that really shouldn't be "outside the box" for our school.  How can we marry up an area where we're the best with an area we are trying to improve.  Can we really not help ourselves here, even with programs within our own university?

At this point I dont think anything is a bad idea to try and drag folks in. I think having a band play after a game at Apogee would be a great idea. Several people have brought it up. Have a game start at 3 and then the band goes on after that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

I am surprised any of you thought our attendance would be different. 

Until recently, I assumed attendance would be about the same because I had spoken with someone in the know who told me ticket sales were "flat, but with good retention."  However, some people on the board insisted ticket sales were up and that the club level in particular only had a few dozen unsold seats.  

It did not look like that at all to me.  

Hopefully, the gas situation did suppress attendance.  

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Until recently, I assumed attendance would be about the same because I had spoken with someone in the know who told me ticket sales were "flat, but with good retention."  However, some people on the board insisted ticket sales were up and that the club level in particular only had a few dozen unsold seats.  

It did not look like that at all to me.  

Hopefully, the gas situation did suppress attendance.  

I was told Saturday morning that all the Suites were sold out this year, the new suites were sold out this year, and we have sold more club seats than ever before.  Nothing was mentioned about actual season ticket sales.  I took that as a bad sign, but maybe they just thought i was more interested in the big $$$ sales.

22 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I was told Saturday morning that all the Suites were sold out this year, the new suites were sold out this year, and we have sold more club seats than ever before.  Nothing was mentioned about actual season ticket sales.  I took that as a bad sign, but maybe they just thought i was more interested in the big $$$ sales.

Premium seating does drive the revenue. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, untbowler said:

If UNT dropped their program for 3 yrs, school would be lucky to get 10k for a restart, shows the huge difference in culture, UAB cared enough to resurrect, UNT is content right now to remain status quo, hoping the next year will be better.

We have no idea what would happen... But I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it isn't something that UNT will try... 

59 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I know the for a fact that they still had 1 suite open a week before school started... Also, I wouldn't say that its a bad sign.. WB said that the Season Tickets/MGC membership (as well, I believe) would be released soon after Aug. 31st... He had tweeted it out that the #s had improved as well.. Now we just have to hold him to his word about releasing the #s.. 

3 hours ago, untbowler said:

In 2013, a year before UAB announced that they would be dropping football, they averaged 10,548 in attendance.  10,548.  The same year we averaged 21,030.  I've said it before, but I think the forced disbandment of their program by the UAB president and University of Alabama trustees may be the best thing that ever happened to that program.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

In 2013, a year before UAB announced that they would be dropping football, they averaged 10,548 in attendance.  10,548.  The same year we averaged 21,030.  I've said it before, but I think the forced disbandment of their program by the UAB president and University of Alabama trustees may be the best thing that ever happened to that program.

45K fans might agree, impressive showing  by UAB, they will not be an easy win this year

UAB's attendance also has a hell of a lot to do with why the program was shut down. Nothing gets you people on your side more than scandal and public outcry against the top dog in Tuscaloosa unashamedly shutting down a branch schools football program.  UAB has been running off of publicity and hype the entire time they've been gone.  I wouldn't sleep on them either, but their attendance isn't based off of people missing UAB football.

Edited by SAGreenFan
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SAGreenFan said:

UAB's attendance also has a hell of a lot to do with why the program was shut down. Nothing gets you people on your side more than scandal and public outcry against the top dog in Tuscaloosa unashamedly shutting down a branch schools football program.  UAB has been running off of publicity and hype the entire time they've been gone.  I wouldn't sleep on them either, but their attendance isn't based off of people missing UAB football.

well I would take 45k fans giving a shit for UNT if even for one weekend, we can barely get 27k with a brand new stadium

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

I am surprised any of you thought our attendance would be different.  I mean it sucks but it is the same level of suck we have had for many years.  There really is no mystery surrounding our attendance issues.  We have been one of the worst college football programs in the country for most of my  43 years on this planet.   With only the occasional signs of life through that time.  Our marquee wins have been against some sub par Tech teams and a bad Baylor team. Hell we still talk about a LOSS to Texas.  We created our own culture over a long period of time.  So you don't just go hire a coach rack up 5 wins and expect a whole new fan base to appear.  This will take a long time to fix and require a lot of winning. 

I have been a fan since freshman year on 1961, and am still waiting for the fan base to appear. Even in Hayden's years we didn't draw flies.

32 minutes ago, wardly said:

I have been a fan since freshman year on 1961, and am still waiting for the fan base to appear. Even in Hayden's years we didn't draw flies.

I hear you, but the problem is we just have never consistently won ball games.  I am speaking more specifically to the modern era.  Yes there have been blips on the radar screen like Darrell Dickeys run in the Sun Belt, Macs one good season... but  we've had no signature wins.  We dropped down to I-AA which was devestating, and then we didn't fund it when we brought it back in 1995 basically trying to use it as a cheap marketing tool.

My point is we really don't know what the potential for our fanbase is because we have never produced a program consistently worthy of support.

people want to support a winner.  Why do you think there are so many damn Cowboy fans?

thankfully the admin etc finally gets it and we seem to be doing the right things necessary to build our program success and hopefully fan/alumni support going forward can be developed.