El Guapo’s makes way for el papá

Skipper

22 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Always found them to be pretty bland, then again plenty of people like thier tex-mex bland, based on how many bland texmex places I have run into the over the years.

Best place in town in La Sabrocita.  I have said that so many times at this point I should ask them for a sponsorship deal.  

Sabrocita makes my mouth water. I should probably get that checked out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Best place in town in La Sabrocita.  I have said that so many times at this point I should ask them for a sponsorship deal.  

My daughter and I have been cheating on La Sabrocita since we discovered La Estrella.  My daughter has actually expressed a tinge of guilt at this, but then when I give her the option of the two, she chooses the latter every time now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Always found them to be pretty bland, then again plenty of people like thier tex-mex bland, based on how many bland texmex places I have run into the over the years.

address? 

I too have found the Mexican food in Denton rather bland, and I've just about given up on my search. On your recommendation, my wife and I will give it one more try.

22 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Meh....  When you grow up in Fort Worth, eating Mexican food cooked by anywhere from individual authentic Mexican style cooks to Northside Mexican restaurant eateries, everything else is just ok.

Rick

I despised working in downtown Ft. Worth for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was the 33-mile each way commute along what was then a heavily under construction 183/121.  

However, because the traffic was so terrible, I started exploring highway 10 and highway 26 and highway 377.  My God, man.  There is some righteous, and I do mean righteous Mexican food on what would otherwise be defunct highways in Fort Worth!

2 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

address? 

I too have found the Mexican food in Denton rather bland, and I've just about given up on my search. On your recommendation, my wife and I will give it one more try.

201 Dallas Dr, Denton, TX 76205

Enjoy yourself!  It's right good there!

5 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I despised working in downtown Ft. Worth for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was the 33-mile each way commute along what was then a heavily under construction 183/121.  

However, because the traffic was so terrible, I started exploring highway 10 and highway 26 and highway 377.  My God, man.  There is some righteous, and I do mean righteous Mexican food on what would otherwise be defunct highways in Fort Worth!

Did you ever give this one a try? They are on North Sylvania.

https://www.facebook.com/EnchiladasOle/?rf=333956596715962

I'm with Rick. If you live around Fort Worth for any length of time and eat Mexican food there, everyone else is pretty.........meh.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Did you ever give this one a try? They are on North Sylvania.

https://www.facebook.com/EnchiladasOle/?rf=333956596715962

I'm with Rick. If you live around Fort Worth for any length of time and eat Mexican food there, everyone else is pretty.........meh.

Doesn't ring a bell, but that doesn't necessarily exclude it.  I started purposely going home via side streets and trying different places several times a week.

21 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Doesn't ring a bell, but that doesn't necessarily exclude it.  I started purposely going home via side streets and trying different places several times a week.

With the I-35 downtown corridor still three more years away from completion...it's even worse if you can imagine.

In fact, I got to meet comedian and Baylor grad Jeff Dunham around 4 am recently when his motor coach nearly made a grease mark out of a donorcyclist who had lost it and laid it down against the temporary inside lane concrete barricade.

Avoid the I-35/121 interchange at all cost.  It's a Hair, Teeth and Eyeballs zone till at least 2019.

Rick

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

OGS, If you are on 377, try Frescos in Watauga. Next to the Krispy Kreme. It's the bees knees.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Meh....  When you grow up in Fort Worth, eating Mexican food cooked by anywhere from individual authentic Mexican style cooks to Northside Mexican restaurant eateries, everything else is just ok.

3 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

l0GRkpk8mcWhekrVC.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Another good Real Mexican place in Denton is El Pollo Regio.  They have locations around the DFW area, Austin area, and Shreveport.  The owner started out as a food truck guy in Austin a little over a decade ago.

Denton is a franchisee owned; but, the food is good at any of them I've visited.  Not Tex-Mex at all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

In fact, I got to meet comedian and Baylor grad Jeff Dunham around 4 am recently when his motor coach nearly made a grease mark out of a donorcyclist who had lost it and laid it down against the temporary inside lane concrete barricade.

Any chance he's related to George Dun-HAM?

Oops, sorry for the hijack.  Better get back to the main subject... unfortunately, I never did get a chance to try El Guapo's. :(

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

OGS, If you are on 377, try Frescos in Watauga. Next to the Krispy Kreme. It's the bees knees.

Fresco's is the definition of average. That place and Los Molcajetes are the two most overrated restaurants in north Fort Worth.

El Guapo's was good back in the day, but there was definitely a point where the quality of the ingredients was lowered to keep prices low. Tried them a handful of times in the past few years and it never tasted like when they first opened.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

I haven't lived in Denton in about 12 years. Lived there for about 10 years. In my humble South Texas opinion, unless something has drastically changed, Mexican food in Denton sucks.

After being there for a decade,  not a single Mexican place do I miss. 

I think Denton is for some good Mexican joints but the Tex-Mex is pretty...lacking.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

El Guapo's was good back in the day, but there was definitely a point where the quality of the ingredients was lowered to keep prices low. Tried them a handful of times in the past few years and it never tasted like when they first opened.

I've heard this from a lot of people. My wife and I went there to celebrate me getting a new job back in 2009 and it capital S Sucked. Blandest, most unappealing Tex-Mex I've ever had. I had to go there for something for work just a few months ago and the food looked like the worst elementary school lunch lady version of Tex-Mex you could imagine. And everything smelled plasticy, not like food .I'm sure it was amazing if you're from Toldeo.

So many other better choices in Denton, especially in the past few years.

Mazatlan on 380 next to the bowling alley, El Matador on 380 next to Kroger, Villa Grande at Rayzor Ranch, Chuy's at Unicorn Lake, La Sabrocita on Dallas Dr next to Autozone, La Milpa on 35 near Teasley Ln.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, TheWestie said:

Mazatlan on 380 next to the bowling alley

Back in the 80's, we went to both Mazatlan, and Guadalajara on Dallas Drive (or was it Ft. Worth Drive?).  Same owners for both places.  It seemed like the Guadalajara waiters could speak English, and the Mazatlan waiters couldn't.  We jokingly guessed that new immigrants were given jobs at Mazatlan, and when they learned English, they were then allowed to work at Guadalajara.

On July 26, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Ryan Munthe said:

No, the Ninfa's chain isn't part of Ninfa's anymore. It used to be, though, they sold it years ago. If you ever are in Houston, El Tiempo is owned by the original Ninfa's family. 

There's a ton of good Tex-Mex in DFW, though. Denton is kinda lacking, but it makes up for the incredible Mexican spots around.

Not bragging at all, I'm just saying El Guapo was a pretty decent Tex-Mex restaurant considering it's really the only Denton one. Denton has incredible Mexican food though.

El Tiempo is incredible!

always love Pappasitos, Mecsrdo Juarez, and La Hacienda as well...