3 reasons for optimism facing Southern Miss

Harry

1).  In 2011 under Mac we lost our first three games and managed to win our fourth against Indiana at home.  Game 4 could be a good omen.

2).  Last time we played Southern Miss (last season) we only lost the game by 10 points at home.  10 points is not insurmountable so I am thinking this could be closer than that if the ball bounces our way.

3).  In 2013 we put a pounding on Southern Miss -- ON THE ROAD - by a score of 55-14.  So, we tend to show big in Hattiesburg even though it's a fairly small sample size. 

Edited by Harry

It's funny, a lot of doomsday posts after each game so far. I actually think we have a better shot at winning against Portland State, UTEP, and UTSA than I did a week ago. We aren't good against the run, but we're good enough, particularly against those teams who haven't had a lot of success through the air, to keep those teams running games from just taking over. And Wilson is good enough to take over against those teams. As for the other games, we have to figure out how to win on the road.

• Upvote 5

God knows we need a ray of hope and I don't wish to put a lampshade on it...but...USM is no pushoverRecord is 2 - 2. Largest margin of loss is 8 points. Opponents have included Miss.State and Nebraska. Their QB Mullens has an efficiency rating of 157 (Mini 90.8). Their total offense per game is 458 (206 rush, 252 pass); ours is 358 (156.7 rush, 201.3 pass). They have given up 31.5 PPG, we have given up 43.7 PPG. They have scored 38 PPG, we have managed 17.7 PPG.

Oh, did I mention that this is a road game?

This would actually be one helluva good victory if our men could rise to the occasion.

• Upvote 1

2013 is when the large majority of our team was Dodge recruits. Times have changed now Harry. Southern Miss is significantly better than they were 2 yrs ago. Dan Mccarney has won 5 road games in 4 years as HC. There are 3 games on our schedule in which we have a better chance than 0% to win, thats just being honest. 

It looks like someone forgot to read the thread title.

• Upvote 1

God knows we need a ray of hope and I don't wish to put a lampshade on it...but...USM is no pushoverRecord is 2 - 2. Largest margin of loss is 8 points. Opponents have included Miss.State and Nebraska. Their QB Mullens has an efficiency rating of 157 (Mini 90.8). Their total offense per game is 458 (206 rush, 252 pass); ours is 358 (156.7 rush, 201.3 pass). They have given up 31.5 PPG, we have given up 43.7 PPG. They have scored 38 PPG, we have managed 17.7 PPG.

Oh, did I mention that this is a road game?

This would actually be one helluva good victory if our men could rise to the occasion.

*34-16=18. Mississpi State

Not to take away from what you're saying. So Miss has progressed obviously. While we have regressed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's funny, a lot of doomsday posts after each game so far. I actually think we have a better shot at winning against Portland State, UTEP, and UTSA than I did a week ago. We aren't good against the run, but we're good enough, particularly against those teams who haven't had a lot of success through the air, to keep those teams running games from just taking over. And Wilson is good enough to take over against those teams. As for the other games, we have to figure out how to win on the road.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think we win this weekend because USM is much improved. But we are improving every week unfortunately, not at the rate that the teams we play are a step up each week. The biggest problem this season has been the schedule. There is a chance though with Wilson back, and the fact that USM won't be as good as Iowa that we can hang in there.

• Upvote 1

Oh my, we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now, but hey, I'll play.

Balance, we have balance.  Take the Iowa game, for example:

43 pass plays for 173 yards (a 4.0 average)

45 running plays for 183 yards (a 4.1 average)

Balance!   Ha, let's see Southern Miss deal with that!  

Not the scoreboard, of course, but don't let that distract you.  We've got balance on our side.

Balance, balance, yes we do, we've got balance, how about you!  All together now....Balancebalance....

• Upvote 1

Portland State....hum....3-0, ranked #17 in FCS....hum James Madison (ranked #8) easy win for SMU. NT could be in for a real hard game.............................

I know.  The scheduling of this game is turning out to be a potential nightmare.  Remember -- this was a buy a win game.  Looks like we may be fighting Rocky Balboa!

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think we win this weekend because USM is much improved. But we are improving every week unfortunately, not at the rate that the teams we play are a step up each week. The biggest problem this season has been the schedule. There is a chance though with Wilson back, and the fact that USM won't be as good as Iowa that we can hang in there.

The schedule, really?  Yes, we have a bad schedule but we even haven't hit the blunt of it. A good coach at UNT could easily be sitting at 2-1 coming off of a semi competitive loss at Iowa. It's this staffs fifth year for heaven sake and you're talking about scheduling after playing powerhouses such as SMU, Rice and Iowa. Smh. 

Portland State....hum....3-0, ranked #17 in FCS....hum James Madison (ranked #8) easy win for SMU. NT could be in for a real hard game.............................

I think we should match up well against them. We aren't awful against the run, and Portland State doesn't throw the ball much. I haven't seen much on them other than highlights, and we should be able to beat an FCS team not just because we match up well against them, but I like our chances there. I think Wilson could carry us offensively.

I haven't seen improvement week to week with this team. I've seen the exact opposite.

I think we should match up well against them. We aren't awful against the run, and Portland State doesn't throw the ball much. I haven't seen much on them other than highlights, and we should be able to beat an FCS team not just because we match up well against them, but I like our chances there. I think Wilson could carry us offensively.

you should check out Portland St.'s defensive stats, especially against the run.

If we can't throw the ball that game, we lose by 2 scores.

Edited by UNT90

*34-16=18. Mississpi State

Not to take away from what you're saying. So Miss has progressed obviously. While we have regressed. 

Ooops! Sorry about the math error - call it the "Shiner Factor".

for UNT to win the rest of the year

1.) the opponent cannot have a good QB... if they have a good QB, we are toast... Iowa started out the game 15 for 15 yesterday and could seemingly pick up any third and long they wanted to.

2.) Something has to improve at QB... McNulty has shown flashes... but we need more than flashes in order to win... if Smith comes in and is half as good as what everyone has built him up in their minds to be, that would also work.