Backlash At UNT Over Governor Abbott At Graduation

DENTON (CBS 11 NEWS) The announcement that Governor Greg Abbott will be the keynote speaker at the University of North Texas commencement ceremony has been met with an online backlash from students.

Nearly 2,000 people, as of Monday evening, have signed an online petition asking the universitys president to replace Abbott as the commencement speaker.

Hundreds have also joined Facebook group called Abbott Free UNT.

Abbott doesnt represent the campus on many levels, said senior UNT student A.J. Aguinaga, who now plans to skip the ceremony.

Read more: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/04/06/backlash-at-unt-over-governor-abbott-as-graduation-speaker/

About the only thing political to come out of his mouth will be the philosophy of hard work, perseverance, self reliance, and a faith in God as a source of strength. If that's political, well...this is not a divisive forum. It's a graduation speech.

BTW, I sent an email to the Pres. S supporting his decision to invite Gov. Abbott to speak. Anytime a sitting Governor speaks at your university, it's a good thing. Regardless of party affiliation.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

About the only thing political to come out of his mouth will be the philosophy of hard work, perseverance, self reliance, and a faith in God as a source of strength. If that's political, well...this is not a divisive forum. It's a graduation speech.

BTW, I sent an email to the Pres. S supporting his decision to invite Gov. Abbott to speak. Anytime a sitting Governor speaks at your university, it's a good thing. Regardless of party affiliation.

Especially when you owe the state millions of dollars due to an "accounting error."

Sad that more people don't realize this.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I don't agree with Abbott on some issues, but the quote below from the article is how I feel about the situation...

Several students on campus said that they don’t supporticon1.png the petition and even think it negatively reflects on their school.

“I think regardless it’s the governor of the state. You should show some respect,” said student Perri Vanicon1.png Horn.

• Upvote 3

It must be nice to be young, even if you have to be stupid.

There is no one worth listening to, that is going to satisfy everyone. I am not an Abbott fan yet, but willing to give him a chance. Thus far, I think he is an improvement over Perry.

But wether you like him or not, I think it is a minor coup for NT getting him to speak.

• Upvote 3

It must be nice to be young, even if you have to be stupid.

There is no one worth listening to, that is going to satisfy everyone. I am not an Abbott fan yet, but willing to give him a chance. Thus far, I think he is an improvement over Perry.

But wether you like him or not, I think it is a minor coup for NT getting him to speak.

Minor coup? It was a $100k donation from Brint Ryan to Abbott that got him here "for free". Not much of a coup.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1