Lewis Caralla : New UNT S & C coach

NT03

Looks to be a solid hire and the connection seems to be another USF tie - Ron McKeefery.

McKeefery was at USF from '00 - '10 and lists both Wintrich and Caralla on his "coaching tree": http://ronmckeefery.com/coaching-tree/

He also tweeted a congratulations to our new hire...

Fired up for Former Intern @LewisCaralla and his family for being named Head S&C at the North Texas. #Stud. pic.twitter.com/RoH9aWWiNi

— Ron McKeefery (@RMcKeefery)

January 17, 2015

I wish I were excited for this hire.

Count me among those not immeadiately impressed by the strategy behind the hire. Getting someone who had this job at a smaller school ((FCS or sun belt) and was used to plan with crappy budgets and giving him a higher budget than he is used to, might have been smarter than hiring an assistant to the job, who will be surprised by all the things he hasn't got financed here. I think if we should have learned anything in terms of coaching hires lately, it is that the risk of promote assistants from outside the program is risky buisness. It seems safer to me to stick to people who have proven themselves at this same position at schools a peg below UNT.

What is more: the last years of michigan don-t make me think i want anything to do with anyone who worked on that coaching staff, even if it was "just" in S&C.

That said this might work out anyway, too early to tell and coach macs hires have so far usually been at least ok. What I am more skeptical so far is though, whether he will fire an assistant who does not perform.

• Downvote 1

It's okay to be skeptical. It's good to have heartless faith in this coaching staff. Hopefully this hire does some great things but it's okay and easier to throw hopeless Bombs than to be excited. Proof will be in the outcomes. Personally love the profile. Give me experience and someone who has been around Excellence any day. GMG

I wish I were excited for this hire.

Count me among those not immeadiately impressed by the strategy behind the hire. Getting someone who had this job at a smaller school ((FCS or sun belt) and was used to plan with crappy budgets and giving him a higher budget than he is used to, might have been smarter than hiring an assistant to the job, who will be surprised by all the things he hasn't got financed here. I think if we should have learned anything in terms of coaching hires lately, it is that the risk of promote assistants from outside the program is risky buisness. It seems safer to me to stick to people who have proven themselves at this same position at schools a peg below UNT.

What is more: the last years of michigan don-t make me think i want anything to do with anyone who worked on that coaching staff, even if it was "just" in S&C.

That said this might work out anyway, too early to tell and coach macs hires have so far usually been at least ok. What I am more skeptical so far is though, whether he will fire an assistant who does not perform.

Good post. I share these concerns and would like to see us hire guys that have succeeded on a right budget. Makes a lot of sense.

Good post. I share these concerns and would like to see us hire guys that have succeeded on a right budget. Makes a lot of sense.

Very valid points. Most of the schools I have visited had supplements as a part of their nutrition program.

Money and budget is an issue when it comes to recruiting also.

I like the hire, and in this case, don't mind his coming from a program that's so much better funded, because I've been reading for a long time about how that we have the facilities we need for the strength program. Honestly, if he had been the main guy in charge of S & C at Michigan, I would wonder why he hadn't gotten after Brady Hoke to shape up (in a physical sense that is).

You guys ( 90 & outoftown) realize Wintrich, like Caralla, was also an associate S&C coach from a more prominent football school when he took the Head S&C position here at NT right? That seemed to work out pretty well for us.

I'd also wager that during an interview S&C candidates probably ask what the budget is like for their department.

• Upvote 3

You guys ( 90 & outoftown) realize Wintrich, like Caralla, was also an associate S&C coach from a more prominent football school when he took the Head S&C position here at NT right? That seemed to work out pretty well for us.

I'd also wager that during an interview S&C candidates probably ask what the budget is like for their department.

I think the point is, if they come UP from a lower budgeted program then they know what they are getting into, and know that they may not have the money to introduce their Super Duper Nutritional-based Specialized S&C program that they were not able to implement at Hardin Simons, The Citadel or at South Florida, and that maybe we'll get more than 4 years out of them?

Personally, I'd just like to see our S&C program get up to where UTSA's S&C program is. Once we get to that piont I think we'll be on our way?

Rick

• Downvote 3

Personally, I'd just like to see our S&C program get up to where UTSA's S&C program is. Once we get to that piont I think we'll be on our way?

UTSA? Rick, I love ya, but...isn't that setting the bar pretty low? UTSA doesn't have facilities comparable to what we have. THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A SINGLE DEDICATED FOOTBALL S&C COACH. They've done an impressive job in other areas, but I don't get this one at all.

• Upvote 2