UNLV following in UNT's 2006 footsteps

MeanGreenTexan

Even less college experience than Dodge had (one year GA at NMSU) . If he can use some of that UFC money to hire quality assistants he'll be fine. He'll run into issues trying to hire them since most college assistants won't trust working for a guy with no real college experience.

No need for those guys. He probably has a football plan that includes the superior knowledge of his current Bishop Gorman assistants!

• Upvote 1

In the two HS hires we made, neither had a chance at succeeding here for obvious reasons, both their own and the school's. For Dennis Parker, he was a true high school coach. His methods were high schoolish--trust me, I was there everyday to watch how he ran things. Of course, we were still Division 1-AA at the time, so that didn't help, either. Todd Dodge killed his chances with the assistants he brought over all being HS coaches and thinking his HS gameplan could just translate to college easily. In addition to this, though, the stadium he was recruiting to was worse than 90% of the stadiums the recruits played at in high school.

I have seen three HS coaches get head coaching jobs at colleges, two here and one at Notre Dame. Gerry Faust failed miserably, too, so I know its not a matter of just resources and facilities holding the guy back. Guys like Art Briles, Gus Malzahn, and Todd Graham have all shown that by jumping into the college coaching ranks as an assistant for a few years, learning how to talk to and recruit college kids, can pay huge dividends. I'd be shocked if UNLV doesn't learn this same lesson with their new hire.

In the two HS hires we made, neither had a chance at succeeding here for obvious reasons, both their own and the school's. For Dennis Parker, he was a true high school coach. His methods were high schoolish--trust me, I was there everyday to watch how he ran things. Of course, we were still Division 1-AA at the time, so that didn't help, either. Todd Dodge killed his chances with the assistants he brought over all being HS coaches and thinking his HS gameplan could just translate to college easily. In addition to this, though, the stadium he was recruiting to was worse than 90% of the stadiums the recruits played at in high school.

I have seen three HS coaches get head coaching jobs at colleges, two here and one at Notre Dame. Gerry Faust failed miserably, too, so I know its not a matter of just resources and facilities holding the guy back. Guys like Art Briles, Gus Malzahn, and Todd Graham have all shown that by jumping into the college coaching ranks as an assistant for a few years, learning how to talk to and recruit college kids, can pay huge dividends. I'd be shocked if UNLV doesn't learn this same lesson with their new hire.

You nailed it! There have been a few other colleges who tried this and so far it's never worked. Ever.

Guys like Art Briles, Gus Malzahn, and Todd Graham have all shown that by jumping into the college coaching ranks as an assistant for a few years, learning how to talk to and recruit college kids, can pay huge dividends.

I feel the same way about Muschamp's second crack at a head coaching job. I think it will be far more successful -- especially if it follows a coach-in-waiting situation under Spurrier.

I feel the same way about Muschamp's second crack at a head coaching job. I think it will be far more successful -- especially if it follows a coach-in-waiting situation under Spurrier.

Maybe...

He wasn't a good pick, in my opinion, for the Florida job, since it followed Urban Meyer and it was his first time to be a head coach.

If he can find a good OC and just stick to coaching defense, you're probably right about him, especially under a guy like Spurrier.

Odus Mitchell worked out alright.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I talked to a high school classmate with UNLV ties. He said this is a money grab, pure and simple. They know the guy is gonna suck, but that money comes with it. Take the money, endure a few years of shitty, shitty football, profit!

I guess they really need the money. While looking up something else the other day, I saw that San Diego State has played 23 money games since 2000. They've lost ever single one, averaging nearly two a year. Maybe the money in the Mountain West isn't that great.