McCarney quote on QB play, what does it tell us?

Harry

I agree with everything Coach McCarney said. I would rather have a 300 yard rushing game than a 300 yard passing game any day. More time of possession. Their defense gets worn out instead of ours. Fewer turnovers. Fewer possessions for the opponent. Our running game is not boring to watch if you know what you are looking at. It is fairly complex. Did anyone else notice the frontside counter we added for the bowl game? There is a lot more too it than many think.

Our QB is asked to make presnap reads. I would rather have a QB that can do that and check us into the right play than one that has to improvise to get out of a bad play. It is much better for us to run on first down and have 2nd and 6 than to throw incomplete and have 2nd and 10. Opens up the playbook for the offense. Restrict the calls by the defense.

He built this team around defense, running game, and special teams. It is that same as baseball. Pitching and defense. Keep the ball in the park, don't make errors, and manufacture runs as you can.

Some may think it is boring to watch, but I'll take a boring win over an exciting loss any day. And remember, he didn't name DT the starter until late last year (and that was after starting the previous two seasons). He knows who the starter is. He just isn't saying.

But if we are going to be a running team, and a predictable running team, then why not get a QB that can run? A running QB would be a weapon and take some presure off the backs. Let's just go after a beast runner for QB, and stop the pretending.

• Upvote 2

But if we are going to be a running team, and a predictable running team, then why not get a QB that can run? A running QB would be a weapon and take some presure off the backs. Let's just go after a beast runner for QB, and stop the pretending.

You do know that McNulty is faster than DW according to their 40 times coming out of HS and McNulty was more of a runner in HS as evidenced by yards and even rushing TDs scored. What if *gasp* McNulty is the running QB?

If not their actual stats, what might make you think DW is a better runner?

• Upvote 2

Who cares whether one runs better than the other? They don't decide winners and losers by how many rushing yards are gained in a game.

Winning is what matters. Be thankful we once again have a coach who understands this and doesn't waste everyone's time by trying to reinvent the wheel.

Those of you who liked the "exciting" offense of The Wheel Re-Inventor can catch his act back in the high school scene...where it belongs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Who cares whether one runs better than the other? They don't decide winners and losers by how many rushing yards are gained in a game.

Winning is what matters. Be thankful we once again have a coach who understands this and doesn't waste everyone's time by trying to reinvent the wheel.

Those of you who liked the "exciting" offense of The Wheel Re-Inventor can catch his act back in the high school scene...where it belongs.

Yes!

• Upvote 1

Somebody really needs to tell the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, FSU Seminoles, and so on and son that their mobile QB's are a " reinvention of the wheel" and they are fools.

You know, because asking that your quarterback be a threat to run is the same as saying you want the wildcat 24/7.

• Upvote 1

I agree with everything Coach McCarney said. I would rather have a 300 yard rushing game than a 300 yard passing game any day. More time of possession. Their defense gets worn out instead of ours. Fewer turnovers. Fewer possessions for the opponent. Our running game is not boring to watch if you know what you are looking at. It is fairly complex. Did anyone else notice the frontside counter we added for the bowl game? There is a lot more too it than many think.

Our QB is asked to make presnap reads. I would rather have a QB that can do that and check us into the right play than one that has to improvise to get out of a bad play. It is much better for us to run on first down and have 2nd and 6 than to throw incomplete and have 2nd and 10. Opens up the playbook for the offense. Restrict the calls by the defense.

He built this team around defense, running game, and special teams. It is that same as baseball. Pitching and defense. Keep the ball in the park, don't make errors, and manufacture runs as you can.

Some may think it is boring to watch, but I'll take a boring win over an exciting loss any day. And remember, he didn't name DT the starter until late last year (and that was after starting the previous two seasons). He knows who the starter is. He just isn't saying.

This may work for most of our games. But, to have any success in the opener against Texas we are going to have to light them up through the air. Even when we have had good/great running teams in the past, Texas has been able to stuff us at the line.

The one time when we actually played Texas tough, I believe that Scott Davis had over 400 yards of passing. Smaller teams rarely can run the ball effectively against the top schools. You have to be able to throw the ball to have any success.

Outside of the Texas game, I do believe that Coach Macs comments are correct. But, if we try and stuff it down Texas's throat, it is going to be a long day

So, that is the dilemma against Texas. We can run the ball a lot and keep the score to a 21 to 28 point loss. Or, we can air it out and have a chance to win or get completely blown out if the passing game fails.

• Upvote 2

This may work for most of our games. But, to have any success in the opener against Texas we are going to have to light them up through the air. Even when we have had good/great running teams in the past, Texas has been able to stuff us at the line.

The one time when we actually played Texas tough, I believe that Scott Davis had over 400 yards of passing. Smaller teams rarely can run the ball effectively against the top schools. You have to be able to throw the ball to have any success.

Outside of the Texas game, I do believe that Coach Macs comments are correct. But, if we try and stuff it down Texas's throat, it is going to be a long day

So, that is the dilemma against Texas. We can run the ball a lot and keep the score to a 21 to 28 point loss. Or, we can air it out and have a chance to win or get completely blown out if the passing game fails.

Someone gets it

We may not see 30 passes combined by both teams in this game. Mac is not going to "open it up" against UT with an unproven QB in the 1st game of the season.

Simply not going to happen.

We may not see 30 passes combined by both teams in this game. Mac is not going to "open it up" against UT with an unproven QB in the 1st game of the season.

Simply not going to happen.

Part of me wants to believe he'll do whatever it takes to actually pull a win out of Austin.

But, I get what you're saying. We'll see.

Our running game is not boring to watch if you know what you are looking at. It is fairly complex. Did anyone else notice the frontside counter we added for the bowl game? There is a lot more too it than many think.

Pffft! Yeah, of course. But did you see the backside reverse counter with the flipsy on the end? A thing of beauty.

I'm kind of bummed that more people don't know the really complex parts of the game like you and I.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No kidding. Or better yet, go watch a Philadelphia Eagles game. That chump Chip Kelly tried way too hard to reinvent the wheel, and for some reason an NFL team hired him.

But it'll never work in the NFL. Just like how Kelly could never win a national championship in college. Too bad he ran into an Auburn team with Cam Newton and Gus Malzahn, that ran the exact same offense.

No kidding. Or better yet, go watch a Philadelphia Eagles game. That chump Chip Kelly tried way too hard to reinvent the wheel, and for some reason an NFL team hired him.

But it'll never work in the NFL. Just like how Kelly could never win a national championship in college. Too bad he ran into an Auburn team with Cam Newton and Gus Malzahn, that ran the exact same offense.

Really? Nick Foles runs around with the ball the way some here think Brock Berglund could...or Dajon Williams can/should?

Looks to me like he's more of a passer: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm

And, you are correct about Chip Kelly - no national title. And, no Super Bowl or playoff win in the NFL.

Gee, I can't figure out why these teams who take care of the ball and play tough defense win the championships, can you? Trent Dilfer with a Super Bowl ring, but not Michael Vick? I just don't understand it.

Somebody really needs to tell the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, FSU Seminoles, and so on and son that their mobile QB's are a " reinvention of the wheel" and they are fools.

You know, because asking that your quarterback be a threat to run is the same as saying you want the wildcat 24/7.

So...two of the five teams you list won a championship with a mobile QB? I didn't realize that the Redskins and Browns were piling up championships with mobile quarterbacks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1