Here's what worries me about UTSA

Harry

Let me start out by saying this. Most of yall are level headed and see both sides of the argument. I see both as well. Furthermore, we are in C-USA whether you like it or not. This is not the Big 12, SEC, or Big 10. It is a MID-MAJOR conference that lost, or will be losing key members and needed to find programs that showed promise for the future. Please excuse UTSA from breathing the same air and being in the same MID-MAJOR conference as the almighty, untouchable UNT. UTSA did not ask for, nor does it need UNT's permission to do anything. We do not view our program as being "better" or "above" anyone else, UNT included. in We know we are INCREDIBLY fortunate for everything that has happened in these short 4 yrs.

Some of yall are simply afraid that UTSA will leapfrog you in the coming years and leave you behind. Deny it all you want.

Let me start out by saying this. Most of yall are level headed and see both sides of the argument. I see both as well. Furthermore, we are in C-USA whether you like it or not. This is not the Big 12, SEC, or Big 10. It is a MID-MAJOR conference that lost, or will be losing key members and needed to find programs that showed promise for the future. Please excuse UTSA from breathing the same air and being in the same MID-MAJOR conference as the almighty, untouchable UNT. UTSA did not ask for, nor does it need UNT's permission to do anything. We do not view our program as being "better" or "above" anyone else, UNT included. in We know we are INCREDIBLY fortunate for everything that has happened in these short 4 yrs.

Some of yall are simply afraid that UTSA will leapfrog you in the coming years and leave you behind. Deny it all you want.

Lets see now...Schools Who've Passed Us By?

Former conference mates of UNT:

Louisville

Memphis

Houston

Cincinatti

Boise State

Not Former Conference Mates of North Texas Who've Moved Up:

South Florida

Central Florida

UConn

Oh no, what you are suggesting will never happen at North Texas (again). Our leaders are top shelf with other NCAA FBS outposts tripping all over themselves trying to get to Denton to hire them all away from us. They are using our "lights out' season ticket sales and annual attendance successes as their reasons for wanting to steal them away, too.

Fact is, based on someone elses success, ie, Coach Mac and the Mean Green; nevertheless, their (most admirable) success this Fall has probably saved a whole bunch of slacker's jobs for another 5, 10 or so years so we will keep getting the same ol' song but just another tired verse because of it but...................

.................we will also keep getting annual low season ticket sales of which we never get this simple question answered: "How many season tickets have we sold this summer?" (The Sound of Silence soon begins)..................... along with less than stellar football attendance averages for a school with a constituency our size, too.

(The next sound you hear now is the circling of "WE ANSWER TO NO ONE" beaurocratic wagons to protect those who have proven year in and year out how they cannot make it happen at UNT and how do we know? How's 'bout Season Ticket Sales Totals + football attendance.

Moral of Post I : If we do the usual at North Texas, your chances of passing us by are very do-able AND....

...what I've just posted more UNT alums on this board (many I've known for just about forever) have thought the very same more than once but have UNT-related personal agendas or maybe even (yuk! yuk!) UNT employment aspirations and simply cannot afford to say how they feel. Yet.............. their silence thru the decades have given us a program that has created the very scenarios as to allow all the aforementioned schools to pass us by---Beep! Beep! Sadly, we have been a very gullible alumnus base to allow all this to keep happening to us.

Uh.........................just sayin'.

GMG!

:bling: THIS > > > > With the right leadership in place or an AD who will stop protecting those who have annually proven they cannot produce in the main areas that we need production and one who is open minded enough as to hire such an ancillary staff so that we can finally begin to move ahead of most every one of the schools I've listed (in red) above.

Moral of Post II: Coach Mac should not have to be begging fans to come fill a 31,000 seat football stadium in a population center of almost 8 million. There is nothing that makes sense about that and all the excuses we've heard in the past are no longer acceptable.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Good post right up until the last 2 sentences, when you chose to show your true arrogance.

I actually was hella-bored yesterday and read your board for the first, and last, time ever. Wasn't surprised by what I found, which was a complete sense of delusion about where you are and where you are going.

You guys actually believe you will be on UT's level in 5 years. Almost peed my pants.

You are SMU fans without the money, education, or history.

Good luck with that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I congratulate UTSA on their very rapid progress into FB division football. Having said that, I think what UTSA as well as TSSM, S. Alabama and soon to come Old Dominion, Charlotte, etc. have pointed out that it doesn't takes years to be competive at the bottom level of FB football. The real grind is to elevate a program to the top of the "have nots" or perhaps even join the "Bigs".

So the fact that NT has about a century lead in playing college football means almost nothing. What does matter is how each program performs going forward in terms of win and losses but also resources and support. Can UTSA substain their impressive early fandom and build on it? Has NT turned the corner in winning and support?

If you really look at CUSA, the West Division should be dominated by UTSA and NT. UTEP doesn't have the location or recruiting base, Rice is a small school although with great tradition but poor support, USM and La Tech, both have history of success but are somewhat limited by thier demographics, UAB has all kind of issues. These factors obviously don't mean either UTSA or NT will dominate, but I think they do have advantages.

All this should contribute to building a strong rivalry between the two schools. Particularly, if future games mean something like the one on Saturday.

• Upvote 2

UTSA may leapfrog UNT in football fantasticness and wonderfulosity and it may not. I'm not worried about it, because whether or not it happens, it is out of my personal control, and I will root for UNT sports regardless of whether it's a conference champion or in the basement.

Do the Roadrunner visitors not find it ironic that some of y'all not only accuse us of behaving like high-and-mighty snobs for paying our dues and getting into a mid-major conference, you then turn around and act high-and-mighty yourselves to show us how wondermous this opportunity is and how y'all are grateful to be in that very same conference?

*We* at UNT should remain grounded and remember that this is JUST a mid-major conference, but you guys are thrilled because this is a fantastic opportunity to rise to football prominence in your program's infancy?

Which is it, guys? Does entering C-USA suck or is it a good thing? 'Cause y'all's argument that it's both ain't holdin' water.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

About as worried as I am that San Antonio's NFL team will leapfrog the Cowboys.

• Upvote 1

UNT90, what was UTSA supposed to do? Say "No thank you, we cannot join C-USA because UNT will get really really upset and start a 34 page thread about it"? Screw that. We would have been foolish to not accept this invite. You guys are confusing UTSA being "arrogant" with simply not kissing UNT's ass.

You *would* have been foolish not to accept this invite. As would we have been.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, they weren't the key. Again all those shiny facilities wouldn't have got you in if you were located in the middle of nowhere. Like I said once SMU moved to the AAC you were the obvious choice for the market, it's likely you get the call-up even without your upgrade in facilities since there's noone else below you that could represent DFW.

UTSA gave people a reason to be tabbed as a program with a lot of potential (on-field success and attendance records). We weren't handed that label. C-USA gambled on the potential and so far it's paid off. The gamble was earned imo, and we've also shown we belong.I can see how people that clawed their way in can be bitter about it though.

It's a different ball game in the Power 5. From my understanding UT and A&M blocked the big markets like Houston out of the Big 12 for their own greedy reasons. Thats doesnt happen in non-AQ conferences like C-USA. Again just take a look at the new members that came into C-USA this year (plus ODU and Charlotte) and tell me what they all have in common? Market, market, market.

Maybe because both SMU and UNT for the DFW market wouldve been redundant?

Correct me if I'm wrong but is there anything besides the Spurs to cheer for in San Antonio? UTSA did not get into Conference USA because of their uprising football team.

YOU keep talking about a market and labeling us as DFW.... We are one of 3 FBS teams in the DFW area that also houses the Mavs, Cowboys and the Rangers. There's a lot to care about in DFW. UTSA was gifted this conference because you have a heavily populated area that doesn't have to compete with other teams to pack a stadium or gymnasium. NOT BECAUSE THEY COULD SEE UTSA BECOMING A POWERHOUSE out of the gate. Don't mistake in the fact that this is all about money and numbers... Like you said.... market, market, market....This is been retorted many times, but respect is earned and nobody knows anything about you guys.

For example..... your BCS ranking is 9999.... we are all confused. YOUR story is irrelevant because you have no history. Our story for this season has been nothing short of a Cinderella story that could quite possibly be on the Hallmark Channel one day. Just because you're sitting at the same table as us doesn't mean that you've earned your right to speak at it. If you were approaching us as number one in the division, it may be slightly different- but until then.... don't try to convince us that we are the same. We are equals when we step out on the field on Saturday, but our programs are not equal.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 4

I'm not completely discounting them (they are nice), I'm saying they played a minimal role compared to market. Would you agree with that?

UTSA didn't get an invite for no reason either. It was based on potential. And so far it's panned out, and not just the on-field and attendance success in football. The cross country team just won a conference title, the volleyball team will face Tulsa for the same honor, the baseball team is coming off a WAC title and should contend. UTSA athletics has shown it belongs in this conference.

Some days I feel like talking to you is like trying to explain this to my 7 year old. Problem is, he gets it.

• Upvote 1

UNT90, what was UTSA supposed to do? Say "No thank you, we cannot join C-USA because UNT will get really really upset and start a 34 page thread about it"? Screw that. We would have been foolish to not accept this invite. You guys are confusing UTSA being "arrogant" with simply not kissing UNT's ass.

You seem to get it. Please know that it has nothing to do with "breathing our air" or "kissing our ass." What it has to do with is the attitude of some of your fans that have shown no respect towards North Texas on our board. We have played football for 100 seasons now, not 3 or 4. This thread wouldn't have passed 3 pages if a couple of your fans hadn't shown up spouting all kinds of B.S. Be respectful and we will do the same. Come into our house and be disrespectful and this thread is the result.

Thanks Harry, for starting this mess.

• Upvote 1

SQRGVFRFHVOFRQZ.20111120024640.jpg

The only thing that worries me is Coker. He's been in many battles in his day. He'll have his charges ready. Their defense is not bad.

Take out the games they were obviously going to be overmatched in (Oklahoma State, Arizona, Houston), and they are 5-2. They give up 20 per game in those seven games.

Like, I said last week, this will be our toughest out remaining. Tulsa is done. UTEP was done. UTSA has a real coach and they think they are playing for a possible bowl game. They will come out fighting.

I may go back and look up some of my old posts from 2 years ago when it was announced that UNT and UTSA were both joining CUSA. I was laughed at when I warned UTSA would not be a walkover because of Larry Coker. Earlier this year I said we needed be wary of them and unfortunately it turned out to be that way.

Man, this loss hurts. We're still are looking at a good season and a bowl game, but it still hurts.

I may go back and look up some of my old posts from 2 years ago when it was announced that UNT and UTSA were both joining CUSA. I was laughed at when I warned UTSA would not be a walkover because of Larry Coker. Earlier this year I said we needed be wary of them and unfortunately it turned out to be that way.

Man, this loss hurts. We're still are looking at a good season and a bowl game, but it still hurts.

Some here have been laughing longer than that. They laughed when UTSA hired Coker, before they were even fielding a team. He was a steal. I said so at the time.

Our fanbase - many of whom eagerly supported the hiring of high school coach Todd Dodge - to this day, even in defeat to Coker, still look for other excuses. He's an excellent football coach. Always has been, always will be.

Also, it's (sadly) amazing to see how much perspective our fanbase has lost in such a short amount of time. We are no longer thankful for a winning season, a bowl season. Instead, we are upset at the record-setting coaching staff and players.

Crazy.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3

I will come on here and eat my crow if UNT doesn't win by at least 10. If UNT loses, I will wear orange and blue for a picture and post it to my facebook with the caption "UTSA is the king of CUSA"

I know I have to do this, but after the UTSA players' lavk of sportsmanship and that UTSA fan's "Time to eat some crow" thread, I know I'm going to be throwing up in my mouth a little when I do.

How could they not come back and post after the way many of our fellow posters taunted and belittled them during the week? We were 7-3 in the C-USA and some here thought we had a juggernaut.

What we have is a good football team in a conference full of former Sun Belt schools. We've made a lot of progress. It's taken three long years.

Instead of appreciating it, we take to talking down to other fans who visit the board and preening like spoiled brats when we fall to 7-4.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 5

How could they not come back and post after the way many of our fellow posters taunted and belittled them during the week? We were 7-3 in the C-USA and some here thought we had a juggernaut.

What we have is a good football team in a conference full of former Sun Belt schools. We've made a lot of progress. It's taken three long years.

Instead of appreciating it, we take to talking down to other fans who visit the board and preening like spoiled brats when we fall to 7-4.

Sorry I couldn't give you more than just +1.

The thing that worries me the most...... they only lose 3 starters and we play them in San Antonio next year.

I wonder if all the trash talk of UTSA being nothing helped to get them fired up while getting us overconfident.

I know one thing. It didn't help us win the game.