One last comment on UTSA

Harry

For the record on 1st down we passed 17 times and ran 15 times. On 1st down we passed 1 more time than ran in each half.

Over all we passed 46 times and ran 28 times.

We just got beat by a team that seemed intent on making a statement.

Give them some credit as they held Tulane to 7 points the game before us.

We just need to let it go, regroup, and beat Tulsa.

Let's get to 8 wins.

Don't upset the narrative.

Jimmerson should have caught that ball in the end zone. Thompson overthrew Brelan twice on deep balls. On another play, Thompson forced the ball over the middle for an incomplete pass while Jimmerson was open in the flat with nothing but I-35E in front of him. UTSA players executed and made plays. Our players did not.

Edited by MeanGreenZen

I don't know when we beat a team like UTSA. They remind me of those fiu teams with Ty Hilton that played up tempo with speed and swagger. We looked intimidated on our own field. Not sure how we beat them in the dome. I don't mind conservative confident but conservative scared and frustrated sucked.

Smack talk makes me uncomfortable too so you are not alone Austin. I get it and love our rabid diehards but fan bases are branded and if I were a roadrunner I wouldn't think positively of all out fans especially since they have scoreboard.

I thought UTSA fans at the game and many on this Board were cool nice and proud San Antonians.

The UTSA loss is a nightmare for Tulsa. We are bringing it hard this weekend and HOD here we come.

GMG

• Upvote 2

These complaints are exactly what the Iowa St fans complained about.

Was Canales the OC then too? If not, who is the common denominator?

Someone said that Mac is DD with a much better bedside manner, and I agree with that. I am on the record as being pro DD, so I don't hate if that is who Mac is.

But we should never expect a complex offense. Simple and tough, on both sides of the ball, is what you are going to get from this team as long as Mac is the coach.

Jimmerson should have caught that ball in the end zone. Thompson overthrew Brelan twice on deep balls. On another play, Thompson forced the ball over the middle for an incomplete pass while Jimmerson was open in the flat with nothing but I-35E in front of him. UTSA players executed and made plays. Our players did not.

Bottom line, and right on.

• Upvote 1

I promised myself I would move on to Tulsa after 24 hours but there is one thing I need to get off my chest.

The reason that UTSA won that ball game is because they played to win. Even when they were up by two TD's they never took their pedal off the metal...they kept throwing the ball on first down and going for our throat. UTSA played with a sense of urgency even when they had a comfortable lead.

We on the other hand played not to lose. We took very few chances until late in the game. We were satisfied to run the ball on every first down even though they knew we would. It is as if we expected them to turn the ball over. You shouldn't build an offensive strategy that requires turnovers from the other team. We dig a hole and expect to start getting aggressive but our defense couldn't stop them. We aren't comfortable playing in a hurry, from behind and it showed at the end.

So hats off to UTSA for playing BALANCED and using an AGGRESSIVE gameplan. We have been so strong all year defensively and on special teams. Our offense was our weakness and it was exposed on Saturday.

Was it ever....DT played like he did in the previous game..only worse....the play calling was just terrible, we were way too conservative....guys, so much of this is poor game plan and play calling. All you have to do is look at a good offensive team and you can see how we in no way match up in the routes and playing calling...and yes, often we play not to lose...this is a mistake. If we were having to depend on the offense to win, it would be tough very often. I warned everyone not to take this team lightly...they did put 35 points up against OSU and Baylor showed you just how tough that can be.

Don't yall remember how we were promised a new, wide open offense this year? Don't y'all remember the quotes from Spring practice? Don't y'all remember me telling you it was all coach speak, telling the fans what they wanted to hear, and that it would be the same generic offense with a run first and always mentality?

That is Coach Mac. If the D is good enough, he can win that way. If not, he won't. I think it is time to part ways with Chico, simply because we need something to shake up the offensive side of the ball. Do I have faith that anyone new will be ALLOWED to be any more aggressive on offense?

Not really.

Talk to some Iowa St. fans. They will tell you that this is exactly what Mac did there.

It is simply just who he is, for better or worse.

EDIT: everyone needs to remember these times, specifically when spring rolls around and you are getting all juiced up by comments from Mac and Chico about how the offense will be soooo much different with DW under center and the extra dimension he brings to the offense. You will see the sane offense next year. It's simply what Coach Mac believes in, for better or worse.

Football leopard don't change his spots.

Edited by UNT90

I had lots of casual fans ask me before the season started how I thought the team would do this season. My response was, we'll go as far as our QB will take us. That was true then and it's true now. I can't get down on DT. He's a great kid and he does the best he can. But to expect him to be a playmaker, is asking too much of him. He's a bus driver and nothing more. We have seen many opposing teams this year who have a dual threat at QB. Derek is not that kind of player. If he's off throwing the ball on any given day, then we're in big trouble. He's not going to win games running the ball. I'll grant that he is probably a notch above McNulty, and Burgland and the frosh just weren't ready for prime time. I truly hope DT finds his stroke again and can lead us to two more wins this year, but if he is struggling again, why not give Burgland some real time exposure? He's had an entire season to learn the system and see the speed at this level. We know what we have with McNulty. Give BB a shot.

GO MEAN GREEN! HOD Bowl 2014!

These complaints are exactly what the Iowa St fans complained about.

Was Canales the OC then too? If not, who is the common denominator?

Someone said that Mac is DD with a much better bedside manner, and I agree with that. I am on the record as being pro DD, so I don't hate if that is who Mac is.

But we should never expect a complex offense. Simple and tough, on both sides of the ball, is what you are going to get from this team as long as Mac is the coach.

How do people not get this?

He gives pretty and inspiring speeches. Far easier to crucify Chico and leave Mac unsullied in their eyes.

He gives up tempo and very energetic speeches. But I wouldn't call them the least bit pretty. AND he always manages to mention his previous participation in highly successful and high profile programs whilst making his comments to the public.Thereby derailing anyone who might question his way of doing things. Never mind that he never created those (aforementioned) highly successful and high profile programs.

In terms of getting this program back to hard nose basics and giving the fan base a good (and consistent) "motivational" talk, coach Mac has done his job.

But as I've said before (and Cerebus obviously agrees) our head coach is DD with a better line of BS..... and a willingness to engage the fan base.

Edited by SilverEagle

At this time 3 years ago we sucked. We were 6-30 for the 3 years prior to that.

We were also saddled with scholarship restictions because of player academic problems.

I'm not going to nitpick a coach who has won more games this season than we did in the 3 seasons before he got here.

The season is still in progress. It is not out of the realm of possibility that we go 9-4, and Mac goes to another school and leaves the second guessers behind.

• Upvote 2

At this time 3 years ago we sucked. We were 6-30 for the 3 years prior to that.

We were also saddled with scholarship restictions because of player academic problems.

I'm not going to nitpick a coach who has won more games this season than we did in the 3 seasons before he got here.

The season is still in progress. It is not out of the realm of possibility that we go 9-4, and Mac goes to another school and leaves the second guessers behind.

The three years prior were coached by TODD DODGE! Perhaps the worst collegiate coach I've ever seen.

I'll ask for the millionth time...When will we stop judging success in real world terms and not just in terms of "better than rock bottom"?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The three years prior were coached by TODD DODGE! Perhaps the worst collegiate coach I've ever seen.

I'll ask for the millionth time...When will we stop judging success in real world terms and not just in terms of "better than rock bottom"?

Currently 7-4 with a chance to be 8-4 at the end of the regular season PLUS going to a Bowl Game.

How is this not real world success?

• Upvote 3

Dan McCarney has done wonders with this program compared to his predecessor(s). He has built a commraderie and sense of purpose into this team that is top notch. He has seen that academics are maintained at a high level. He has had few discipline problems because of the enviornment that he has created. He has given the team a physical and mental toughness that maybe second to none. There is little doubt that he has created a program that is comparable to most P5 conference teams.

He has allowed Skladany to run one of the best defenses in the country. He is allowing Tommy Perry to coach special teams unit that have improved dramatically over last year; especially in returns and coverage. Then why is the offensive coordinator not allowed the same leeway? Is this really Mac's 'three yards and a cloud of dust' philosophy? Is the extremely conservative offense the product of McCarney's mandate or is it what Canales wants to run?

It seems to me that if Mac could get an up-and-coming offensive coordinator and allow him run an offense that best suits our offensive players that we could be looking at a Top 25 program. I think that the rest of the program (especially strength and conditioning) is that good/promising. So Dan, if Chico is the man to run the offense allow him that freedom. If not, find an OC that you believe that you can trust and allow them to succeed (or fail).

• Upvote 2