Here's what worries me about UTSA

Harry

I wish i had never seen this :no::no::no: That is hilarious! I get the reference now and I am inclined to insult my own program as well.

As a proud UTSA alum living in UNT territory, I would like to offer my apologies for some of our overzealous fans. Some of us must have a little too much liquid courage or are just plain delusional. We know that we are a fledgling program and our meteoric rise is the result of hard work and a bit of good fortune. I think we have the potential to be a respectable program, but there is still a long way to go in this journey. I respect the Mean Green and am glad to have them as an conference member. I hope we win on the 23rd but if not I wish UNT the best and hope they win the title.

Solid post

I wish i had never seen this :no::no::no: That is hilarious! I get the reference now and I am inclined to insult my own program as well.

As a proud UTSA alum living in UNT territory, I would like to offer my apologies for some of our overzealous fans. Some of us must have a little too much liquid courage or are just plain delusional. We know that we are a fledgling program and our meteoric rise is the result of hard work and a bit of good fortune. I think we have the potential to be a respectable program, but there is still a long way to go in this journey. I respect the Mean Green and am glad to have them as an conference member. I hope we win on the 23rd but if not I wish UNT the best and hope they win the title.

Here's a little bit of clarity amidst the chaos.

I appreciate this. And, I agree.

Nice post, +1. Also, I love chicken and wouldn't mind if UNT gave me some chicken with my tickets (or vice-versa), just saying.

It's not a self inflicted insult. Anyone who follows or has followed UNT knows that the history of this program has been to have a few really good years, followed by more than a few really down years. The insult is that for all the talk that UTSA fans like to do about how great their program is, how they deserve to be where they are, and how heads are going to turn, you've won one game against someone with a winning record.

You will win some more in the future, but you're not a big deal, and that's why you're not respected by a majority of this fanbase or any other. If you came at it humbly and more in line with reality, that you're a very young program, you're ecstatic to be a part of CUSA, and the future looks like it could be bright, I don't think you'd run into much resistance outside of the few who truly resent being associated with a startup program. Truth is that your fanbase approaches most situations like this is your training ground for being in the Big XII or SEC in a few years and that no program's history matters because you have none, and it's off-putting.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the majority of UTSA fans are as delusional as you think. I am sure the majority of UTSA fans know that we are a young program that has been blessed with being at the right place at the right time. If you look at the very short history of the football program, you'd know that we were not expecting to be in a conference as good as CUSA at this time. Heck we, were ecstatic to be picked up by the WAC last season! A CUSA membership was a pipe dream that was 7+ years out when we first started the program. But, by the blessing of the good football gods, we are here now.. way earlier than we ever expected.

None of us (at least none of us should be) are saying that we are Billy Badasses because we are here now. What I think y'all might be mistakingly calling us overzealous/delusional fans over is the fact that we have a pretty dang good football team that we are pretty dang proud of. We know our program is in its infancy, but our football team itself is very capable of competing in, and winning, in this conference. Hell, we have an outside shot at the conference title this very season!

So in a nutshell, we aren't tooting our horns about the program necessarily... we are, however, sounding the sirens over our football team itself. Don't mistake one for the other.

Edited by warcat
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the majority of UTSA fans are as delusional as you think.

Good post. My point was more towards those saying "little Sun Belt championships" and so on. I have no problem cheering for your team when not a lot of other people do, I'm a North Texas and a Rangers fan (going back to the 80s). What I take issue with is some of the UTSA fans belittling a school's accomplishments simply because they're at the same table. UTSA has a long ways to go to matching UTEP in accomplishments, even with how down that program is at the moment.

Apropos, here's the video from the opening of Apogee Stadium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0POrHIpbbCE

• Upvote 2

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the majority of UTSA fans are as delusional as you think. I am sure the majority of UTSA fans know that we are a young program that has been blessed with being at the right place at the right time. If you look at the very short history of the football program, you'd know that we were not expecting to be in a conference as good as CUSA at this time. Heck we, were ecstatic to be picked up by the WAC last season! A CUSA membership was a pipe dream that was 7+ years out when we first started the program. But, by the blessing of the good football gods, we are here now.. way earlier than we ever expected.

None of us (at least none of us should be) are saying that we are Billy Badasses because we are here now. What I think y'all might be mistakingly calling us overzealous/delusional fans over is the fact that we have a pretty dang good football team that we are pretty dang proud of. We know our program is in its infancy, but our football team itself is very capable of competing in, and winning, in this conference. Hell, we have an outside shot at the conference title this very season!

So in a nutshell, we aren't tooting our horns about the program necessarily... we are, however, sounding the sirens over our football team itself. Don't mistake one for the other.

PLEASE STOP YOUR NONSENSE. AND PLEASE STOP TOOTING YOUR HORN. :growl:

• Upvote 2

Because of fans like tommybohamma, I want to like you all, but folks like you just make me want to hammer you all in to submission. I hope the later occurs November 23rd.

• Upvote 1

Because of fans like tommybohamma, I want to like you all, but folks like you just make me want to hammer you all in to submission. I hope the later occurs November 23rd.

Because of fans like UNT90, I want to like you all, but folks like you just make me want to hammer you all in to submission. I hope the latter occurs November 23rd.

• Upvote 1

Of course we were ahead of our current trajectory before being pulled back by our own admin before, but for the time being, not referring to the game but just the programs in general, we have a slight edge due to a little bit more name recognition, long standing alumni ties, donors, facilities and such. Plus having many alums playing, coaching, etc. gives a little bit of edge. But we're no UT/OU/etc., so again, if UTSA goes the way of UCF we can expect a pretty level field in terms of overall program strength soon. Especially if the wins keep coming on both sides. I like the possibility of an in-state rivalry between teams in 2 of the coolest cities in the USA.

I've explained in the past that I was talking strictly about the product we put out on the field.

You have more tradition, accomplishments, facilities, alumni, etc by the simple fact that you've been doing this longer than we have. Why would I even argue any of that? My actual point is that none of that separates you from UTSA out on the field at this level since you're new to it too (C-USA). It has the potential to, since it affects recruiting, but over the past two years UTSA has recruited as good if not better than UNT so I don't really think that applies here. We're 4-2 in conference, you're 5-1...I'm not seeing the UNT superiority.

Edited by correcamino

I've explained in the past that I was talking strictly about the product we put out on the field.

You have more tradition, accomplishments, facilities, alumni, etc by the simple fact that you've been doing this longer than we have. Why would I even argue any of that? My actual point is that none of that separates you from UTSA out on the field at this level since you're new to it too (C-USA). It has the potential to, since it affects recruiting, but over the past two years UTSA has recruited as good if not better than UNT so I don't really think that applies here. We're 4-2 in conference, you're 5-1...I'm not seeing the UNT superiority.

You know what I'd like you to explain? Exactly how UTSA "earned its seat at the table."

Been waiting for a while

Do you have an answer, Pinto?

With all the usual intra- conference smack aside....UTSA has warp sped into NCAA FBS very impressively much like others we have seen, ie, South Florida, Central Florida, UAB (when they added football) and what seems will be similar scenarios at Old Dominion and Charlotte.

You all have schooled many of us with instant attendance building no matter how you did it. Just who is this us I speak of? Start with Houston, SMU and much of the rest of CUSA. Honestly, I don't want UTSA to come down to any of our attendance averages but the rest of us to get up to yours.

We have no idea how many yall will travel next week when the Road Runners make their first trip to Apogee Stadium, but I think it will be more than any other of our opponents thus far. UTEP is down now but when the Miners are back in the "W" column they will come to Denton in droves--I really believe that.

But isn't this UNT and UTSA thing really apples and oranges for the most part? I think North Texas fans/alums because of the nature of our long time history of playing intercollegiate football has had to endure (quite frankly) a road which became well traveled with some success but also with many dips, detours and all but "the bridge is completely out' situations. I also think many of our alums resent the fact that yalls road to the NCAA FBS came much too easy but, that is not any of your faults because of that, either.

Truth as I see it? North Texas/UTSA will become one of the best "well attended" rivals in the new CUSA and even in the Southwest, but give us time to get to know you without our thinking we are being forced into having to kiss you (so to speak) on the first date, OK?

Now lets talk chicken once again...will that be original or crispy? :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Though some of the chatter in between made it seem otherwise, I totally agree. I was one of, if not the first, on here to say that UTSA wasn't a pencil-in win (when we made preseason predictions). And I've correctly predicted the winner of every UTSA game except for UNM. So as far as on-the-field product in this particular season...I'd like to think the others are right in hoping for a blowout win, but there's a very good chance it will be less than a TD either way depending upon 1) if UTSA keeps its guns blazing for all 4 quarters and 2) if we don't have QB or special teams problems.

With all the usual intra- conference smack aside....UTSA has warp sped into NCAA FBS very impressively much like others we have seen, ie, South Florida, Central Florida, UAB (when they added football) and what seems will be similar scenarios at Old Dominion and Charlotte.

You all have schooled many of us with instant attendance building no matter how you did it. Just who is this us I speak of? Start with Houston, SMU and much of the rest of CUSA. Honestly, I don't want UTSA to come down to any of our attendance averages but the rest of us to get up to yours.

We have no idea how many yall will travel next week when the Road Runners make their first trip to Apogee Stadium, but I think it will be more than any other of our opponents thus far. UTEP is down now but when the Miners are back in the "W" column they will come to Denton in droves--I really believe that.

But isn't this UNT and UTSA thing really apples and oranges for the most part? I think North Texas fans/alums because of the nature of our long time history of playing intercollegiate football has had to endure (quite frankly) a road which became well traveled with some success but also with many dips, detours and all but "the bridge is completely out' situations. I also think many of our alums resent the fact that yalls road to the NCAA FBS came much too easy but, that is not any of your faults because of that, either.

Truth as I see it? North Texas/UTSA will become one of the best "well attended" rivals in the new CUSA and even in the Southwest, but give us time to get to know you without our thinking we are being forced into having to kiss you (so to speak) on the first date, OK?

Now lets talk chicken once again...will that be original or crispy?

Very good post. Touched on both sides of the issue. Props. Oh...and crispy

+1 for you sir. And I am not much of a chicken guy, I like me some tacos, especially barbacoa.

You know what I'd like you to explain? Exactly how UTSA "earned its seat at the table."

Been waiting for a while

Do you have an answer, Pinto?

Should've taken us 30 years to earn a seat at the table? You wish it was 70?

We should travel well, from my understanding UTSA has already sold out it's allotment. RowdyTalk already bought out section 204 on the home side as well. Should be plenty of alumni in DFW too. And I'll take original, dark meat, please.

Though some of the chatter in between made it seem otherwise, I totally agree. I was one of, if not the first, on here to say that UTSA wasn't a pencil-in win (when we made preseason predictions). And I've correctly predicted the winner of every UTSA game except for UNM. So as far as on-the-field product in this particular season...I'd like to think the others are right in hoping for a blowout win, but there's a very good chance it will be less than a TD either way depending upon 1) if UTSA keeps its guns blazing for all 4 quarters and 2) if we don't have QB or special teams problems.

Fair enough.

The game itself, I think UNT should and likely will be favored but I wouldn't expect it to be lopsided one way or the other. You beat Rice and feel like you should've beat Tulane. We beat Tulane and feel like we should've beat Rice. Turnover could be the key...we struggled to force them early in the season (only 2 in the first seven games) but have forced 10 in the past three games. Soza has also done a better job of limiting TOs, had 9 INTs through the first seven games and none since. I know your defense is pretty tough though so we'll see if he can keep it going. Defensively we're pretty stout against the run but can struggle against the pass. Hoping Thompson can revert back to the form he showed his first three years, atleast for this game haha.

Runners 28

UNT 24

Edited by correcamino

I really hope our Apogee crowd understands that - though a provisional opponent - beating UTSA is EXTREMELY important.

Crowd investment is a must. None of this sit-on-hands-and watch-a-scrimmage crap. Intimidate the visiting fans.

I have been to two away games so far...the first was our first WAC game against New Mexico State and the second was our first C-USA game against Rice. Neither were intimidating, or loud. I expect Apogee to have a different feel to it.

Should've taken us 30 years to earn a seat at the table? You wish it was 70?

We should travel well, from my understanding UTSA has already sold out it's allotment. RowdyTalk already bought out section 204 on the home side as well. Should be plenty of alumni in DFW too. And I'll take original, dark meat, please.

Fair enough.

The game itself, I think UNT should and likely will be favored but I wouldn't expect it to be lopsided one way or the other. You beat Rice and feel like you should've beat Tulane. We beat Tulane and feel like we should've beat Rice. Turnover could be the key...we struggled to force them early in the season (only 2 in the first seven games) but have forced 10 in the past three games. Soza has also done a better job of limiting TOs, had 9 INTs through the first seven games and none since. I know your defense is pretty tough though so we'll see if he can keep it going. Defensively we're pretty stout against the run but can struggle against the pass. Hoping Thompson can revert back to the form he showed his first three years, atleast for this game haha.

Runners 28

UNT 24

We have given up an average of 11.4 points per game over the last five games, no one has scored more than 16 (Rice) during that time. Only Georgia has put up that many against us all season. If UTSA wins, it will be ugly and low scoring like your game last week. Outside of Georgia, our D has only given up 2 second half touchdowns all year.

You have a much better chance of stopping our offense (which could happen) than putting up 28 in Apogee.

Edited by pastorgrant

We have given up an average of 11.4 points per game over the last five games, no one has scored more than 16 (Rice) during that time. Only Georgia has put up that many against us all season. If UTSA wins, it will be ugly and low scoring like your game last week. Outside of Georgia, our D has only given up 2 second half touchdowns all year.

You have a much better chance of stopping our offense (which could happen) than putting up 28 in Apogee.

I don't think we can hold y'all under 24, so we are gonna have to put 25+ up if we want to win this one.