One last comment on UTSA

Harry

Dan McCarney has done wonders with this program compared to his predecessor(s). He has built a commraderie and sense of purpose into this team that is top notch. He has seen that academics are maintained at a high level. He has had few discipline problems because of the enviornment that he has created. He has given the team a physical and mental toughness that maybe second to none. There is little doubt that he has created a program that is comparable to most P5 conference teams.

He has allowed Skladany to run one of the best defenses in the country. He is allowing Tommy Perry to coach special teams unit that have improved dramatically over last year; especially in returns and coverage. Then why is the offensive coordinator not allowed the same leeway? Is this really Mac's 'three yards and a cloud of dust' philosophy? Is the extremely conservative offense the product of McCarney's mandate or is it what Canales wants to run?

It seems to me that if Mac could get an up-and-coming offensive coordinator and allow him run an offense that best suits our offensive players that we could be looking at a Top 25 program. I think that the rest of the program (especially strength and conditioning) is that good/promising. So Dan, if Chico is the man to run the offense allow him that freedom. If not, find an OC that you believe that you can trust and allow them to succeed (or fail).

Comparable to most P5 conference teams?

Are you on crack?

We just lost to UTSA, for goodness sakes.

DMac has done a lot of good things. So did Dickey. And Dickey got fired.

It's about continuing the progression upward. Can DNac do this? Only time will tell. He desperately needs to change his philosophy about offense. He won't. Too bad.

Edited by UNT90

It seems to me that if Mac could get an up-and-coming offensive coordinator and allow him run an offense that best suits our offensive players that we could be looking at a Top 25 program.

That is the key statement. Mac is a defensive coach, maybe he just understands the defensive side better and that makes it easier for him to trust someone on that side of the ball. Maybe he just has a great relationship with Skaldany.

I don't know what it is. But he does need to trust an OC to do his job.

That is the key statement. Mac is a defensive coach, maybe he just understands the defensive side better and that makes it easier for him to trust someone on that side of the ball. Maybe he just has a great relationship with Skaldany.

I don't know what it is. But he does need to trust an OC to do his job.

Yeah. We have the same offensive game plan every week regardless of the opponent, which in addition to the possibility of being a bad game plan for a given opponent also makes us painfully predictable.

Yeah. We have the same offensive game plan every week regardless of the opponent, which in addition to the possibility of being a bad game plan for a given opponent also makes us painfully predictable.

One of the players even said as much on the coach Mac show.

I'm all for imposing your will on a team, but you need to have an offensive plan when that don't work.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Currently 7-4 with a chance to be 8-4 at the end of the regular season PLUS going to a Bowl Game.

How is this not real world success?

You miss my point. 8-4 is quite positive. Continually using Todd Dodge as a reference point for success is lunacy.

If I get a $10,000 a year raise it is asinine to say "Look at me!! I'm doing WAY better than those Wal-Mart employees!" The comparison to the bottom of the barrel is unnecessary and desperate...ESPECIALLY when the status quo speaks for itself.

• Upvote 1

You miss my point. 8-4 is quite positive. Continually using Todd Dodge as a reference point for success is lunacy.

If I get a $10,000 a year raise it is asinine to say "Look at me!! I'm doing WAY better than those Wal-Mart employees!" The comparison to the bottom of the barrel is unnecessary and desperate...ESPECIALLY when the status quo speaks for itself.

Got it.