And the 2 weeks of UTSA Smack/Food talk continues

Harry

I agree, we should appreciate that the level of competition has reached the point that we have trash talking going on. However, what makes UNT special is that we have our own identity. True, this part of our DNA has made it difficult to build up our fanbase over the years, but we are making progress, a change that I believe is sustainable.

In this new and rapidly evolving culture, we need to represent the values that are true to our character. We must strive to be welcoming fans. We must remember our recent past and be humble. Anybody can have idiotic, loud-mouth fans. Not many programs have a reputation for sportsmanship and class.

Like our program, Denton is on the rise - from growing local businesses, to an ever-evolving world-famous music scene, we have much to offer visitors. Our University is going places - working to cultivate a reputation for research excellence and trying to attracting the brightest students. As die hard fans, we are stewards of Mean Green Nation, we need to welcome anybody and everybody that stops by. If we see things this way we will develop a culture that attracts talent, optimism, and authenticity, traits not easy to come by.

UNT's laid-back charm and small-town quirkiness are what drew me to enroll, but it was only after embracing our independent character and learning to appreciate the diversity of our student body that I became enamored with my alma mater. In the end I wouldn't change anything about the choice I made; we may not have the superstructure of College Station, the well-heeled donors of Highland Park, or the alumni armies of Austin, but we do have a chance to make a choice about what we represent, the chance to resurrect our own traditions, and have fun charting our own future.

Forget about 'them' and remember what UNT means to you. This year our team has worked hard to earn on-field success, so let's show them some love and enjoy what we have; a head coach of rare character, a team with tremendous heart, a shining stadium still in its infancy, and a new sense that the future is brighter than our past.

To our foes I say "Welcome to Apogee Stadium, here's to an entertaining game, to keeping our teams safe, and win or lose, make sure you stop by Beth Maries before you head home."

And to you, my friends and family, let's let our team's preparation and drive speak for itself on the field...

well put. Looking forward to the trip to Denton.

I agree, we should appreciate that the level of competition has reached the point that we have trash talking going on. However, what makes UNT special is that we have our own identity. True, this part of our DNA has made it difficult to build up our fanbase over the years, but we are making progress, a change that I believe is sustainable.

In this new and rapidly evolving culture, we need to represent the values that are true to our character. We must strive to be welcoming fans. We must remember our recent past and be humble. Anybody can have idiotic, loud-mouth fans. Not many programs have a reputation for sportsmanship and class.

Like our program, Denton is on the rise - from growing local businesses, to an ever-evolving world-famous music scene, we have much to offer visitors. Our University is going places - working to cultivate a reputation for research excellence and trying to attracting the brightest students. As die hard fans, we are stewards of Mean Green Nation, we need to welcome anybody and everybody that stops by. If we see things this way we will develop a culture that attracts talent, optimism, and authenticity, traits not easy to come by.

UNT's laid-back charm and small-town quirkiness are what drew me to enroll, but it was only after embracing our independent character and learning to appreciate the diversity of our student body that I became enamored with my alma mater. In the end I wouldn't change anything about the choice I made; we may not have the superstructure of College Station, the well-heeled donors of Highland Park, or the alumni armies of Austin, but we do have a chance to make a choice about what we represent, the chance to resurrect our own traditions, and have fun charting our own future.

Forget about 'them' and remember what UNT means to you. This year our team has worked hard to earn on-field success, so let's show them some love and enjoy what we have; a head coach of rare character, a team with tremendous heart, a shining stadium still in its infancy, and a new sense that the future is brighter than our past.

To our foes I say "Welcome to Apogee Stadium, here's to an entertaining game, to keeping our teams safe, and win or lose, make sure you stop by Beth Maries before you head home."

And to you, my friends and family, let's let our team's preparation and drive speak for itself on the field...

I really wish you would post more! Always such sage wisdom.

UTSA vs. UNT wins by opponent rank:

31 Ball State W UNT

58 Rice W UNT
69 Tulane W UTSA
72 Middle Tennessee W UNT
104 Louisiana Tech W UNT
106 New Mexico W UTSA
107 UAB W UTSA
107 Tulsa W UTSA
112 Idaho W UNT
120 Texas-El Paso W UTSA
120 Texas-El Paso W UNT
121 Southern Mississippi W UNT

Rankings outside the top 40 or so have no bearing... I mean do you seriously believe any of the pollsters really pay attention to ranking teams outside the top 30? Heck, rankings of the top 25 really don't even make much sense. Rankings are opinions of what people think about teams. I tend to believe game play on the actual field is a better indicator of who is better (and at that, just for that particular day)...
To me, teams from about 45-80 are basically equal. Teams 90 and below are equal.
Edited by warcat

Rankings outside the top 40 or so have no bearing... I mean do you seriously believe any of the pollsters really pay attention to ranking teams outside the top 30? Heck, rankings of the top 25 really don't even make much sense. Rankings are opinions of what people think about teams. I tend to believe game play on the actual field is a better indicator of who is better (and at that, just for that particular day)...

To me, teams from about 45-80 are basically equal. Teams 90 and below are equal.

Anything after the 30s is all computer rankings, and they're accurate enough. Going by your logic of 45-89 are equal, and then 90 on are equal, UNT has 1 win against top 44, and 3 wins against top 89. UTSA has 1 win against top 89.

• Upvote 2

I graduated from UTSA and I have never felt the need to make a post before, but I recently moved up to the Metroplex and I have yet to find any decent Mexican food around here. Please point me in the right direction because I have never had food like this before. My fiance is from Nashville and she has not been thrilled with either. I would appreciate any pointers.

El Fenix is great.

Agreed. Welcome, UTSA.

db09591d0e70008af94dc45e1645ba4a_1024.jp

• Upvote 2

I graduated from UTSA and I have never felt the need to make a post before, but I recently moved up to the Metroplex and I have yet to find any decent Mexican food around here. Please point me in the right direction because I have never had food like this before. My fiance is from Nashville and she has not been thrilled with either. I would appreciate any pointers.

With that said, I think it should be a competitive game. While I hope my team wins, I believe that the UNT defense is good enough to force Soza into a few turnovers that will make the difference. I hope I am wrong though! May the best team win!

What's your definition of good Mexcian food? Are you a tex-mex enchilda/fajita/nachos guy? Are you an order only in Spanish and hope to God that the meat in your taco neither barks nor makes you physically ill? Are you middle of the road, enjoy a nice grilled fish taco and a cadillac margarita? Like the funky fusion tacos with wasabi and fried chicken kind of guy? DFW has it all.

I personally go for the hope my tacos don't bark or kill me, but I'll wait for your preference before steering you in any one direction.

• Upvote 2

Anything after the 30s is all computer rankings, and they're accurate enough. Going by your logic of 45-89 are equal, and then 90 on are equal, UNT has 1 win against top 44, and 3 wins against top 89. UTSA has 1 win against top 89.

I don't discount the quality wins y'all have produced... I personally think UNT is the class of the West this season. My point is that I don't think y'all are that much better than UTSA... In fact, I think this will be a hard fought close win for whichever team wins it.

That being said, I firmly believe that UTSA can walk into Apogee, give absolutely everything they've got, leave everything on the field, and walk out with an historic win.

Edited by warcat

I don't discount the quality wins y'all have produced... I personally think UNT is the class of the West this season. My point is that I don't think y'all are that much better than UTSA... In fact, I think this will be a hard fought close win for whichever team wins it.

That being said, I firmly believe that UTSA can walk into Apogee, give absolutely everything they've got, leave everything on the field, and walk out with an historic win.

Silly warcat. The red pills are for Saturdays. The yellow pills are for Mondays.

• Upvote 1

With that said, I think it should be a competitive game. While I hope my team wins, I believe that the UNT defense is good enough to force Soza into a few turnovers that will make the difference. I hope I am wrong though! May the best team win!

There's quite a few I've been too and loads of them that are probably great but haven't been too yet. But some of them that immediately come to mind are:

Mia's - Dallas

Joe T Garcias - Fort Worth

El Ranchito - Dallas

Primo's - Dallas

Desperados - Dallas

Uncle Julios - Throughout DFW I think

La Hacienda - Throughout DFW

Herrera's - Dallas (I like it but it seems hit or miss with a lot of folks

Ojeda's - small place located in Plano near where I live. Not many know about it but food is good and they have cheap alcohol. Their salsa is good but spicy as hell.

I'm sure I'm missing some but this would be a good start.

So, you basically know nothing about college football.

Not surprising, since you never get a chance to actually watch it.

There's quite a few I've been too and loads of them that are probably great but haven't been too yet. But some of them that immediately come to mind are:

Mia's - Dallas

El Ranchito - Dallas

Primo's - Dallas

Desperados - Dallas

Ojeda's - small place located in Plano near where I live. Not many know about it but food is good and they have cheap alcohol. Their salsa is good but spicy as hell.

Jeez. Some of these are just plain bad.

La Familia in Fort Worth.

Joe T's has great drinks, patio, and atmosphere, but the food is pretty terrible.

• Upvote 2

Jeez. Some of these are just plain bad.

La Familia in Fort Worth.

Joe T's has great drinks, patio, and atmosphere, but the food is pretty terrible.

Truth be told I didn't love Joe T's food. You might be the first person I've heard that really dislikes the food however. But yes what makes that place is the atmosphere.

Other than that place I'm not familiar with the places on the FW side.

Back to the original question tho, there's just so many variations of Mexican or Tex/Mex places now they need to be divided based on type of place.

Mia's - Dallas

El Ranchito - Dallas

Primo's - Dallas

Desperados - Dallas

I hate your list except for like 2, but your Ojeda's drop means we're practically neighbors. Weird.

What's your definition of good Mexcian food? Are you a tex-mex enchilda/fajita/nachos guy? Are you an order only in Spanish and hope to God that the meat in your taco neither barks nor makes you physically ill? Are you middle of the road, enjoy a nice grilled fish taco and a cadillac margarita? Like the funky fusion tacos with wasabi and fried chicken kind of guy? DFW has it all.

I personally go for the hope my tacos don't bark or kill me, but I'll wait for your preference before steering you in any one direction.

I feel that I am pretty open when it comes to all things food, of course, having lived in South Texas, tacos are king and Tex-Mex reigns supreme. The hotter the better is my M.O.. So... that is where my judgement stems from. I will admit that my sample size is not that big. I have used Yelp to assist with my search but the reviews differ vastly from my palate. So either, I have been going to some awful places or I need to adjust my taste buds to survive. I need to find more hole in the wall joints. Also, I live in N. Richland Hills, (which feels like Chain Restaurant Heaven) so that could be why.

Recent meals:

El Rancho Grande: A coworker hyped this and it was very disappointing. Beans were bland and fajitas were overly seasoned.

Taco Bueno: Reminds me of Taco Bell but worse

El Chico: Glad I got queso for free but just not what I am looking for. Good prices for lunch though.

Rosa's Cafe & Tortilla Factory: Wow, this was horrendous. Flat out waste of money. I would rather go to Taco Cabana.

Mi Cocina: Not bad but too expensive and trendy.

El Fenix: One poster said this was good. Not in my opinion. Beans came from a can and salsa was weak.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I am seriously interested in finding some good Mexican food.

Yeah, well, Saddam believed there were no American Troops in Baghdad. He was wrong, too.

• Upvote 2