Iowa State fans eyeing McCarney

Harry

"Don't mean this to be anything but an observation that he's still a very solid coach. his team last night played tough as nails, solid defense, and just like i remember yours when he was in ames. so, wth was he let go?"

"well, i understand the feelings here, i guess. but man, he's so bill snyderesque. and his teams play so hard and seem so well schooled. first, i'd watched him since isu days and was taken with how well they played. they may win the league and certainly will go bowling."

Read more: http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/football/178249-watched-most-dans-ntsu-game-last-night.html

And he develops players better than most.

At our level, this is the most important part. We are never going to consistently land 4 star recruits. Making the best of the talent we get is EXTREMELY important at UNT.

I don't know that I would say better than most, but definitely better than Dodge. I like what this staff has done with Breland, Abby, Bellazin, DT, ZOrr, and a host of other seniors. The real test will be next year when we find out how that development translates to Mac's own recruits.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Mac seems to be ISU's Darrell Dickey: fans either love him or hate him. There's a wide range of opinions on him and the haters make a good case as to why he was fired.

Hopefully Mac is a better head coach for his experience at ISU (and at South Florida and Florida after he left ISU) ... he already has the facilities in place unlike ISU ... much better recruiting area ... and a easier conference.

Can't seem to copy and padre it, but the one poster's comment about the 2005 season really struck home.

He basically said Mac played not to lose when having leads late in games.

For better or worse, we have seen this time and again during his tenure at UNT. Sometimes successful (Rice), sometimes not (the maddening WKU game last year). It even seems to have expanded to the start of road games (Ohio and Tulane).

One thing is clear. It is DMac that is responsible for the conservative offense. He is Dickey-esqe in his belief that 3 things happen when you throw the football, and 2 if then are bad.

How ever you feel, I don't think there is any debate that Mac calls run or pass and then Chico is allowed to call the actual play.

• Upvote 1

The negative people are plotting to run you over with their combine.

I mean.... what's positive about living in IOWA... besides meeting a bunch of presidential hopefuls every four years

Can't seem to copy and padre it, but the one poster's comment about the 2005 season really struck home.

For better or worse, we have seen this time and again during his tenure at UNT. Sometimes successful (Rice), sometimes not (the maddening WKU game last year). It even seems to have expanded to the start of road games (Ohio and Tulane).

One thing is clear. It is DMac that is responsible for the conservative offense. He is Dickey-esqe in his belief that 3 things happen when you throw the football, and 2 if then are bad.

How ever you feel, I don't think there is any debate that Mac calls run or pass and then Chico is allowed to call the actual play.

DT's TD to INT rate hasn't helped change that attitude.

Coach Mac has proven to so many people around the college football world just how much he can develop and rebuild. This job at UNT is damn near remarkable when you consider just how far down we had found ourselves, both in record and in talent. His strength and conditioning is the thing that stands out the most to me--we look like a legitimate FBS team from a size standpoint. I give McCarney the credit for this. Recruiting hasn't been good here, but it was never going to be good until he showed that he could develop this program into a winner by taking no and low rated kids and building a winner. He's now done that. And with his attitude and personality, people just want him to do well.

I still think a school like Kansas or Purdue would be well-served to call McCarney and feel him out about whether he would be interesting in leaving UNT. Kansas still has Chalie Weis' contract to deal with, so that may not be doable for them, but Purdue is just terrible now and McCarney's style of play could do very well in that league at a school like Purdue. I hope it never happens, that he will stay here until he retires because he's very successful and likes it here, but he's a very young guy at heart--and his attitiude is infectious, as we have seen. Imagine what he could do at an AQ school that already had skins on the wall and facilities and fan support in place...that is what I fear about McCarney leaving here.

• Upvote 1

I just hope we get into the MWC soon.

Why so we can be on an island again? What is so great about the Mountain West. Heck Texas State spanked Wyoming and Boise has come down to earth. Why on earth would we want to start traveling to games out west where you have to fly to get to? People forget that when TCU joined the Mountain West they had BYU, Utah etc that made it a much more attractice conference. They don't have that appeal to me anymore.

Why so we can be on an island again? What is so great about the Mountain West. Heck Texas State spanked Wyoming and Boise has come down to earth. Why on earth would we want to start traveling to games out west where you have to fly to get to? People forget that when TCU joined the Mountain West they had BYU, Utah etc that made it a much more attractice conference. They don't have that appeal to me anymore.

I want no part of the MWC. It's basically the WAC v.B. The same travel problems the WAC had but without the better teams and without the regional rivalries the CUSA has for us. If we go anywhere, I'd choose the AAC or Big XII. I want nothing of the MWC and for damn sure, not the WAC.

I want no part of the MWC. It's basically the WAC v.B. The same travel problems the WAC had but without the better teams and without the regional rivalries the CUSA has for us. If we go anywhere, I'd choose the AAC or Big XII. I want nothing of the MWC and for damn sure, not the WAC.

We will never be in the AAC as long as SMU is there. We will never be in the Big XII. CUSA is a good spot for us, but the reality is that we are higher up on the pecking order than most of the other CUSA and SBC schools right now, but those schools in the AAC have no interest in being assocaited with us as conference mates. They have shown us that for the last 40 years. Whether it was the SWC, the original WAC that came about after the SWC disbanded, CUSA after the old WAC split apart, or the MWC with TCU in it, none of those schools have EVER wanted to hook up their conference trailer with us. I don't see that mindset changing anytime soon.

I'll say this about the MWC--I'm still a big fan of that league, even if its down from where it has been in the past. This year, Fresno State is the king of the league and is highly ranked. Boise State, AFA, Colorado State, Hawaii, SDSU, and Nevada have all been highly ranked teams at times over the last 20 years. I still believe a team from Texas can duplicate the success TCU had in the MWC. If a group of teams ever go west from this state, I hope we are a part of it. The MWC is the highest non-AQ league and it will probably stay that way because of the name recognition of its teams and the success they have enjoyed. The AAC has UCF and UH right now that will stay in that league, but over the last 20 years, Boise State, Hawaii, Fresno State, and Nevada have all made bigger impacts on the college football polls than anyone that will be left in the AAC. To me, its a moot point, since we aren't ever going to move out west anytime soon, but the MWC is ahuge step up from CUSA, in both revenue sports. And its not close...just like the locations of most of those schools. But its anything but WAC 2.0.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2

This costs a couple of games last year IMO....the conservative 1st half play probably cost us the Tulane game as well IMO

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

AMEN!

We now have the ability to have REAL RIVALRIES in this conference. Rivalries build fan interest and keep the program moving up. We currently have three schools that we can have a viable rivalry with....La Tech (four hour drive) UTSA ( four hour drive), and Rice ( just under four hour drive). All of the times are based on leaving from downtown Ft Worth.

You know the last time we had a rivalry (a real one where both sides recognized it as a rivalry.....Tulsa in the 60's doesn't count) where (potentially) all the fans could get there and back in a day? East Texas State (now A$M Commerce). 1925 to 1951.

NO MORE TWO TIME ZONE CONFERENCES.

• Upvote 1

Coach Mac has proven to so many people around the college football world just how much he can develop and rebuild. This job at UNT is damn near remarkable when you consider just how far down we had found ourselves, both in record and in talent. His strength and conditioning is the thing that stands out the most to me--we look like a legitimate FBS team from a size standpoint. I give McCarney the credit for this. Recruiting hasn't been good here, but it was never going to be good until he showed that he could develop this program into a winner by taking no and low rated kids and building a winner. He's now done that. And with his attitude and personality, people just want him to do well.

I still think a school like Kansas or Purdue would be well-served to call McCarney and feel him out about whether he would be interesting in leaving UNT. Kansas still has Chalie Weis' contract to deal with, so that may not be doable for them, but Purdue is just terrible now and McCarney's style of play could do very well in that league at a school like Purdue. I hope it never happens, that he will stay here until he retires because he's very successful and likes it here, but he's a very young guy at heart--and his attitiude is infectious, as we have seen. Imagine what he could do at an AQ school that already had skins on the wall and facilities and fan support in place...that is what I fear about McCarney leaving here.

Exactly. He is moving things into a direction to where kids WANT to go here (and they are no longer disheartened once they take a tour of the facilities.)

I'll tell you what, CUSA West is pretty stinking fantastic as far as UNT being associated with regional, recognizable, like-minded schools. However, the East side of this conference is flat out terrible. Once ECU leaves and SMiss and UAB move West, there is no question that that half of the conference will hurt our reputation. I have to believe that Marshall will not be happy playing the likes of ODU, Charlotte, FIU, and FAU every year. Sure the Florida schools help them recruit Florida kids, but they darn sure aren't going to help their reputation or attendance. To me, I'm worried that having so many start-ups (or recent start-ups--FIU/FAU) over there leads to volatility for the whole league.

In all honesty, FAU and FIU need name changes. Short of them becoming the next BCS (or whatever) buster, those names are always going to sound like community colleges to everyone around the nation. I see the nice new stadium at FAU and know they are decent simply b/c I've been forced to watch them the last 10 years while we were in the Suck Belt together....but I still can't respect them with that name. I'm not trying to be an ass about it, but I just can't get past it.

• Downvote 1

I'll tell you what, CUSA West is pretty stinking fantastic as far as UNT being associated with regional, recognizable, like-minded schools. However, the East side of this conference is flat out terrible. Once ECU leaves and SMiss and UAB move West, there is no question that that half of the conference will hurt our reputation. I have to believe that Marshall will not be happy playing the likes of ODU, Charlotte, FIU, and FAU every year. Sure the Florida schools help them recruit Florida kids, but they darn sure aren't going to help their reputation or attendance. To me, I'm worried that having so many start-ups (or recent start-ups--FIU/FAU) over there leads to volatility for the whole league.

In all honesty, FAU and FIU need name changes. Short of them becoming the next BCS (or whatever) buster, those names are always going to sound like community colleges to everyone around the nation. I see the nice new stadium at FAU and know they are decent simply b/c I've been forced to watch them the last 10 years while we were in the Suck Belt together....but I still can't respect them with that name. I'm not trying to be an ass about it, but I just can't get past it.

Yeah. Lets face it the remaining CUSA is Sunbelt v2. It seems that so many are content to have a regional conference of primarily TX schools so we can have really fun away trips with the kids and watch our little Mean Green play the powerhouses of Rice and UTSA, but personally I'd rather see us on TV playing schools that are known nationally and not just regionally. What schools you say? Boise State, Air Force, Nevada, Colorado St, Fresno State. I'm not sure how anyone could take a stand and argue that those schools are not more nationally recognized than any in CUSA.