Iowa State fans eyeing McCarney

Harry

Yeah. Lets face it the remaining CUSA is Sunbelt v2. It seems that so many are content to have a regional conference of primarily TX schools so we can have really fun away trips with the kids and watch our little Mean Green play the powerhouses of Rice and UTSA, but personally I'd rather see us on TV playing schools that are known nationally and not just regionally. What schools you say? Boise State, Air Force, Nevada, Colorado St, Fresno State. I'm not sure how anyone could take a stand and argue that those schools are not more nationally recognized than any in CUSA.

Travel costs are likely to make it harder for us to be competitive in that conference long term. The payout is not any better than we have in CUSA.

Yeah. Lets face it the remaining CUSA is Sunbelt v2. It seems that so many are content to have a regional conference of primarily TX schools so we can have really fun away trips with the kids and watch our little Mean Green play the powerhouses of Rice and UTSA, but personally I'd rather see us on TV playing schools that are known nationally and not just regionally. What schools you say? Boise State, Air Force, Nevada, Colorado St, Fresno State. I'm not sure how anyone could take a stand and argue that those schools are not more nationally recognized than any in CUSA.

We build a loyal fan base by having "really fun away trips with the kids" . That is something that has been missing.......for decades. I would put Rice, La Tech and Southern Miss on an equal recognition level with all the schools that you just listed. I'm not advocating that we sit and be complacent, but jumping around and making out of town games generally inaccessible to our regular fan base is just not conducive to building a bigger program.

Maybe you need a dose of reality. The MWC has not, and is not looking to add us to their conference. I'll take playing Rice, UTEP, LaTech and SouthernMiss over the UL hyphens (no matter how good the Cajuns are or are going to be, their in-state politics screwed them with that awful name), and the F_Us every year. At least now when one of the regional teams in our division is having a good year we can hope for a boost in the local media and potentially ticket sales. In the Suck Belt, if FIU was having a great year that affected UNT absolutely ZERO in the way of positive local press/ticket sales. Let alone the years when ULM was decent and kicking our ass....NOBODY knew they were actually decent, and all we got out of playing them was a butt kicking and more "woe is North Texas" crap...

No, the move "up" wasn't as clean a break as some wanted and the conference overall is watered down, but at least we've got a western division that is a huge step up from where we were. As I stated before, the big fear now is hoping that Eastern division doesn't end up running off Marshall and any more of the old CUSA hold-overs.

• Upvote 1

No, the move "up" wasn't as clean a break as some wanted and the conference overall is watered down, but at least we've got a western division that is a huge step up from where we were. As I stated before, the big fear now is hoping that Eastern division doesn't end up running off Marshall and any more of the old CUSA hold-overs.

This. The move to CUSA 2.0 has put us in a position where we're at-worst peer programs with Southern Miss, Rice, UTEP and La Tech. That's a world better than anyplace else we've been in the past 30 years.

• Upvote 1

I've always expressed a desire to be in the MWC and truth be told still do if they're willing to take 3 other schools in TX or near us to get in. That said tho we're fine in CUSA right now. Let's enjoy the success and continue to build upon that. CUSA is an absolute upgrade to the SBC for overall perception and the fact that they have more bowl tie ins. Let's have continued and sustained success and let's see how things end up.

Maybe you need a dose of reality. The MWC has not, and is not looking to add us to their conference. I'll take playing Rice, UTEP, LaTech and SouthernMiss over the UL hyphens (no matter how good the Cajuns are or are going to be, their in-state politics screwed them with that awful name), and the F_Us every year. At least now when one of the regional teams in our division is having a good year we can hope for a boost in the local media and potentially ticket sales. In the Suck Belt, if FIU was having a great year that affected UNT absolutely ZERO in the way of positive local press/ticket sales. Let alone the years when ULM was decent and kicking our ass....NOBODY knew they were actually decent, and all we got out of playing them was a butt kicking and more "woe is North Texas" crap...

Marshall has nowhere to go...they aren't going to the AAC becuase they bring no tv market. They aren't going to the MAC, either, because they left it years ago for CUSA. Marshall and Southern Miss are both stuck here...they have no market to sell other conferences. Probably the same for the future for La Tech and WKU, too, except they wanted this conference badly.

UNT, MUTS, F_U, UTEP, and UTSA have the most potential to move upward, similar to Charlotte if they get off to a great start in CUSA in both sports. RIce can also move up, but only if UH ever leaves the AAC. Those schools represent DFW, Miami, Nashville, El Paso, San Antonio, Charlotte, and Houston. That is a lot of TV sets that USM, Marshall, La Tech, and Western Kentucky cannot ever deliver.

• Upvote 2

We build a loyal fan base by having "really fun away trips with the kids" . That is something that has been missing.......for decades. I would put Rice, La Tech and Southern Miss on an equal recognition level with all the schools that you just listed. I'm not advocating that we sit and be complacent, but jumping around and making out of town games generally inaccessible to our regular fan base is just not conducive to building a bigger program.

I agree....Between 2007 and 2011 my wife and I went to 20 road games. Only at the SMU game in 2007 and the Rice debacle in 2008 did we draw a really decent amount of UNT fans for a road game. I would say the average UNT fan attendance at a majority of the Sun Belt road games I attended was between 30-50 people which were mostly player parents and UNT staffers. If we went to the MWC we would be back to 30-50 people attending most of the road games. Fans recognize the CUSA teams and a majority are within driving distance.

• Upvote 1

I mean.... what's positive about living in IOWA... besides meeting a bunch of presidential hopefuls every four years

For some reason I always thought that Betty, Veronica, Archie, Jughead, Reggie etc. lived in Iowa. It just seemed like the kind of place they would live. I used to travel there a lot. Nice place with very nice people. I'm afraid I've outgrown Riverdale however.
  • Upvote 1

I mean.... what's positive about living in IOWA... besides meeting a bunch of presidential hopefuls every four years

You are correct as there is not a lot positive about living in Iowa. The winters are long and miserably cold. The summers can be hot and humid. Iowa has been slow to recover from the recession. There is not a lot to do activity wise unless you like to hunt and fish. On the other hand, the people are hard working, honest, friendly and reliable. I prefer living in Texas over Iowa but am proud to say I am a native Iowan!