I'm going to agree with Ms. Schilleci on this

Harry

She makes a very valid point here in her "YOU gotta keep YOUR composure!" post from yesterday:

She's absolutely right about that. Every week that they get to fill his hard drive with plays and formations the better he will be... putting him out there against that Ohio defense late in the game could have provided dividends but also could have set his development back.

The truth is, the snaps Dajon got in the Idaho game will do nothing but bolster his building confidence. As much as we would all like to see him play, I'm going to agree with Mac and Chico on the decision to be judicious about when and in what situations they allow young DaJon to get on the field. In hindsight, I think the development of Dajon may be more important in the coaches eyes, than the upside of his running ability in these early games.

GMG

So putting him out on the field to run some plays (and rip off his RS) against an already beaten (and beat up) opponent is good for his development?

I think so at this time. We need to build his confidence not break it down. By the time conference starts it will most likely be a different story.

Keep in mind, he is brand new to college, and a DI football program. That's a lot to grasp for anyone. I think as every week goes by he will learn more about the system so he's not much thinking but reacting. Had we put him in the Ohio game and he not succeeded it would have been a setback for his confidence and development. He will play this year but it won't be everytime DT makes a mistake or has a bad game... I think it will be when we have a fairly comfortable lead or early in games in specific situations on the field.

You know what I would have done? Instead of burning DW's RS year, I would have put BB out there at the end of the Idaho game to see how he reacted to "real game" circumstances. There are countless players in college (and HS) history that do much better in games than they do in practice. They're called "gamers". They went through a lot of trouble to bring BB in, and if he just doesn't have it, then why not confirm it against an already beaten opponent, rather than let him stay buried on the bench.

Believe me, the next talented QB transfer looking for a viable home will take notice that we gave BB every opportunity to show what he could do.

• Upvote 4

DW can still get a redshirt year if he doesn't play anymore this year. I think we do this and let BB play when needed instead and see what he can do. I really don't know what's going on during practices but I don't agree with not giving him a chance this season during games. But then again, I'm not a coach and trust they're making the right decisions...hopefully.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Downvote 1

You know what I would have done? Instead of burning DW's RS year, I would have put BB out there at the end of the Idaho game to see how he reacted to "real game" circumstances. There are countless players in college (and HS) history that do much better in games than they do in practice. They're called "gamers". They went through a lot of trouble to bring BB in, and if he just doesn't have it, then why not confirm it against an already beaten opponent, rather than let him stay buried on the bench.

Believe me, the next talented QB transfer looking for a viable home will take notice that we gave BB every opportunity to show what he could do.

In a perfect world yes but to get an A you have to do your homework and make good grades on your quizzes. BB didn't do some of the things required to win over the trust of this staff that he could win more games than the other guys -- for now... It's like I tell my kids all the time, I don't give a damn if your teacher doesn't like you; it's your job to MAKE them like you even if you are only acting. they control your future in many ways which is much like working life with a miserable boss...

I'm as disappointed as anyone about the situation with BB. It makes me sick. For goodness sake -- we spent a year being excited about landing him and in anticipation of him winning the starting job. Heck he was the main player interviewed on MGS during signing day and Mac and Chico were beside themselves with how great he would be. SO yes, it would have been nice if DW would have redshirted this year like our last high rated high school QB Andrew Smith had been before him but that didn't happen. And yes BB deserves some of the blame for that.

I still put the BB situation up there in my top 5 personnel head scratchers in my following UNT football.

In a perfect world yes but to get an A you have to do your homework and make good grades on your quizzes. BB didn't do some of the things required to win over the trust of this staff that he could win more games than the other guys -- for now... It's like I tell my kids all the time, I don't give a damn if your teacher doesn't like you; it's your job to MAKE them like you even if you are only acting. they control your future in many ways which is much like working life with a miserable boss...

I'm as disappointed as anyone about the situation with BB. It makes me sick. For goodness sake -- we spent a year being excited about landing him and in anticipation of him winning the starting job. Heck he was the main player interviewed on MGS during signing day and Mac and Chico were beside themselves with how great he would be. SO yes, it would have been nice if DW would have redshirted this year like our last high rated high school QB Andrew Smith had been before him but that didn't happen. And yes BB deserves some of the blame for that.

I still put the BB situation up there in my top 5 personnel head scratchers in my following UNT football.

Football is not academia. But having said that, how many times have you heard of a child that is lousy with doing homework but aces their tests? BB might be just that type of player. Why not put him out there against an almost dead opponent and at least go through the motions of giving him every opportunity to succeed....or fail. They already gave McNulty his chance.

The next Troy Aikman might be watching.

• Upvote 1

BB played no opposition in HS. Went to a down program in KU. He has never played a down of D-1 football in 3 years. The coaches say he makes bad on the field decisions in practice so they don't trust him in a game. Bring DW on slowly, but forget about BB and let him do what he does best. Leave programs and ride on tainted HS press clippings!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You have to give DT the chance to win that game once we came back. We cant lose the same way again though. If DT struggles again, we need to see Dajon or BB.

Sad part is, we may not see BB until Georgia. Kinda messed up, but that may be his only shot. DT will probably struggle, and we will need a moblie QB. They may be scared to put Dajon out there. Roll BB out there and say see, we gave you a shot.

• Upvote 1

Sad part is, we may not see BB until Georgia. Kinda messed up, but that may be his only shot. DT will probably struggle, and we will need a moblie QB. They may be scared to put Dajon out there. Roll BB out there and say see, we gave you a shot.

Wow that seems really unfair to BB but I bet he'd take Georgia time in a second.

Harry is exactly right. You can't throw an unprepared freshman quarterback on the field, risk damaging his confidence just to appease a curious "what if" scenario... it goes back to the phrase that sports is 80% mental. If anything, the staffs protectiveness of him may speak volumes about what they expect him to do in the future. If he couldn't hack it, he'd be RS. He's just not ready. YET.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Bottom line is, we will not be able to develop a reliable & sustainable running game without a running threat from the quarterback. There were several hand offs Saturday night where the camera showed every defender running towards the back and ignoring Thompson. It was so frustrating to see him never keep the ball and run to keep them honest. So, let the kid come in with a package of 15 plays and let him try to create. It may loosen everything up for Thompson later on.

• Upvote 2

Word is that BB has had every opportunity in practice to compete for the starting position and has yet to move up the dept chart.

• Upvote 1

Bottom line is, we will not be able to develop a reliable & sustainable running game without a running threat from the quarterback. There were several hand offs Saturday night where the camera showed every defender running towards the back and ignoring Thompson. It was so frustrating to see him never keep the ball and run to keep them honest. So, let the kid come in with a package of 15 plays and let him try to create. It may loosen everything up for Thompson later on.

Good post Ed I agree 100%. We have one hand tied behind our back every game in this offense without a running threat at QB.

What has happened to all those 2 and 3 TE sets that we ran out of last year? There is a whole lot of talk, in this thread, of "never" developing a running game if our QB doesn't run. We didn't have a running QB last year and we seemed to do fine.

The problem is trying to run zone read options with a QB that either can't run or that refuses to ever keep it once in a while. If DT is going to be our QB, and realistically the coaches aren't going to put BB or DW into game situations when the games are still on the line, then quite simply we need to be running more pro-sets that utilize extra blockers.

ps...also, I think the loss of Fortenberry has been huge. I think both of our center prospects look good, and are developing just fine---but they are learning on the job and aren't quite there. Last year Fortenberry dominated from the center position. We are missing that early on.

Edited by TIgreen01

What has happened to all those 2 and 3 TE sets that we ran out of last year? There is a whole lot of talk, in this thread, of "never" developing a running game if our QB doesn't run. We didn't have a running QB last year and we seemed to do fine.

The problem is trying to run zone read options with a QB that either can't run or that refuses to ever keep it once in a while. If DT is going to be our QB, and realistically the coaches aren't going to put BB or DW into game situations when the games are still on the line, then quite simply we need to be running more pro-sets that utilize extra blockers.

Saving it for conference?

No idea :ninja:

The blanket idea that a QB has to learn from the sidelines is hogwash. So is the idea of fragile confidence.

Penn State is playing a true frosh. Multiple FCS teams are. It comes down to coaching and the QBs ability to play the position, not some archaic blanket notion.

And Tech is starting a freshman walk-on
  • Upvote 1

Harry is exactly right. You can't throw an unprepared freshman quarterback on the field, risk damaging his confidence just to appease a curious "what if" scenario... it goes back to the phrase that sports is 80% mental. If anything, the staffs protectiveness of him may speak volumes about what they expect him to do in the future. If he couldn't hack it, he'd be RS. He's just not ready. YET.

What did we do against arkie st with DT?

That's why we have a head coach- to make decisions like that (ie. whats best for the team & future). So we red shirt him & he gets no more playing experience, then what happens next year . What will we be hearing on this board? What do you think happened to DT confidence last week with 4 TO's.