Questions for GMG.com pod with RV

Harry

.....Why won't you retire Kenny Lyons jersey? What personal vendetta does this school's athletic department have against our all time best basketball star? After all, Kram told everyone that would listen to him that we should retire his jersey...JUST AS SOON AS HE GRADUATES...Joe Greene be damned. And despite the fact that he has now since graduated...(and not one word of support for Kenny from our own version of Doug Neidermeyer since that time)...., isn't it about time to give the man the honor he deserves?

....Can we finally honor our word we gave to Mr. Warranch years ago and finish what he started at the Tennis Complex?

....What was John Madden doing in the airport that day you spoke to him about Joe Greene...as reported by Vito? Despite admitting having never stepped foot in an airplane since 1979 do you think he's a closet flyer now days?

Rick

I am so glad you stopped by this thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

May I ask our older alumni to list their top 5 worst ADs? Too inappropriate? I know RV has misfired on hires, but some of y'all seemingly want to demonize the guy.

I find it hard to believe, given our history, that RV is the worst thing this school has ever endured.

No other AD in our history has had more athletic support from the UNT administration than RV--none. Think about that for a moment...then realize that UNT has gone 22-73 in football since our last bowl team. Yes, mens basketball became pretty good, with those two NCAA berths as 15 seeds under JJ, but that is not likely to be repeated anytime soon, based off the season we just saw with Benford as our head coach. Meanwhile, our girls still haven't had a winning season in a long time. This all happened with an administration that actually has looked as athletics as "not bad" as compared to previous ones that looked at athletics as "bad" or "we hate even having it".

RV isn't the worst thing the university has endured...he is nothing more than a symbol of what the university continues to endure--that winning in revenue sports doesn't matter as much as the cost of those revenue sports.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2

Here you go, Harry:

"How many more Apogee luxury suites are available for purchase (or rental) if any? And how much are they? And what phone number does one call to inquire?" (Don't worry...I wouldn't be one of those callin' but if I could just win one of those damn lotteries one of these days that would change. An alumnus from Kansas State U did years ago and look what he did with his $udden windfall).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'll gladly give him that credit--but its +1 for Johnny Jones, but the Tony Benford hire hasn't made anybody feel real good about his ability to choose coaches, especially after the Shanice Stephens hire and the Todd Dodge hire. If Rick Petersen does a good job here and McCarney does a good job here, then he will be break even, which is still amazing to be after all these years as the AD. No other AD would have even been given the chance to correct those ridiculous hires in the money sports because they were so bad--except here.

Maybe he has not made some of the best hires...in fact he hasn't...some were just horrible, but this happens alot of places..the issue is not FIRING them soon enough...ie Dodge. Well, we realize he hasn't had alot to work with at UNT, but he has done a considerable amount to enhance our facilities , bring a real coach (still to be seen, but has some papers, etc) and raise some money....there is perspective to be had...just go back 20 yrs and see the great offers NT could make to recruits...anyway, there are 2 sides to the coin and one side looks pretty good....and I truely believe RV loves this university and does his best...we could do a lot worse....give it another 2-4 yrs and lets see....and Dan Mac --less than 6 games and/or lose to UTSA and I would give you walking papers...RV should do the same.

What should we do if we gave it another 2-4 years six years ago?

One should do what they feel they should do. That really isn't that hard. Not sure constantly opining on a fan board really gets one anywhere. Yet, they just keep thinking it will. Brilliant! Sort of like pissin' into an oncoming wind. You get to piss but you usually get it all back over yourself! Takes a great mind to keep that up...but.....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One should do what they feel they should do. That really isn't that hard. Not sure constantly opining on a fan board really gets one anywhere. Yet, they just keep thinking it will. Brilliant! Sort of like pissin' into an oncoming wind. You get to piss but you usually get it all back over yourself! Takes a great mind to keep that up...but.....

Every fan board is going to complain about everything, that's the point. However, complaints here against the AD are usually legitimate.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of records, the school over off Mockingbird Lane in Dallas has only had 14 above .500 seasons since 1960. So UNT does not have a corner on the market in too few winning seasons. I think we all have in common that we want this for our school to change very soon, though, and just like Bill Snyder's Kansas State U turned their 50 years of mostly losing into winning I think we all believe our school is on the eve of doing the same.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/teams/smu.shtml

What about TCU? They have been very good the past 10 years or so, but before........

The only man sillier yet

Than the one who plays wind-piss roulette

Is the one who is seen

Crawling in the latrine

And complaining that things are all wet.

The only man sillier yet

Than the one who plays wind-piss roulette

Is the one who is seen

Crawling in the latrine

And complaining that things are all wet.

Would you like me to hand you a towel?

Actually, this one is pretty good. I'd +1 you if I could, but can't so consider this your +1 for the year!

• Upvote 1