C-USA: Which newcomer will make the biggest impact?

Harry

C-USA: Which newcomer will make the biggest impact? Conference USA overhauled by adding FAU, Middle Tennessee State, Louisiana Tech, UT-San Antonio, Florida International and North Texas on the heels of the departures of Memphis, Houston and UCF. The most intriguing addition may be UTSA, which showed promise in its FBS debut last year. Larry Coker's squad returns 18 starters from the 2012 team that went 8-4 in its lone season in the WAC. And the Roadrunners will get some national exposure; they play Oklahoma State in the Alamodome on Sept. 7.

This spring, UTSA will look to get its depth chart in order. Even though a large number of starters return, last year's stats indicate that Coker likes to rotate his personnel. Twelve different receivers caught the 24 touchdown passes thrown from starting quarterback Eric Soza and backup Ryan Polite, and last season's leading receiver, Evans Okotcha, was not a starter. With batch of fresh faces entering the league, UTSA -- with an old Miami coach at the helm -- may be poised to make a mark.

They may not make the biggest impact in terms of wins, but I bet quite a few teams (and their fans) will be happy to play in San Antonio. I know a couple of you guys have said it has gone "downhill" but for someone who only recently started visiting the city, I love it and once we finally move back to Texas, that will be an away game I will always try to travel to see. I like San Antonio and New Orleans (though I haven't been there since Katrina) much more than NYC, Philly, DC, LA, Detroit, Baltimore and pretty much everywhere else. I've been to most of the major cities in the USA, and aside from the DFW area (hey, if I didn't love moving there I wouldn't have stayed for so long), that's one of my favorite cities. So for those of you who grew up going there regularly or living near there (hey, Niagara Falls isn't a big deal to me so it makes sense), I can understand it being underwhelming, but for everyone else it will be a blast.

Yeah, UTSA isn't it. It really belongs at the bottom of the list. La Tech and MTSU probably have the best chance to excel right off the bat.

LATech for sure.

Not sure about MT. They can't seem to put it together year after year under Stockstill. They'll be great for a year or two, then tank real hard. Then bounce back... It's hard to gague them.

Opp Rank Location Results Media Sat, Sep 01 South Alabama - at Mobile, Ala. 33 - 31 (W) ESPN3

92.5 FM

livestats.gif First Responders Day Sat, Sep 08 Texas A&M-Commerce - Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) 27 - 16 (W) 92.5 FM livestats.gif spacer.gif Sat, Sep 15 Georgia State - at Atlanta, Ga. 38 - 14 (W) 92.5 FM livestats.gif Hispanic Heritage Day Sat, Sep 22 Northwestern Oklahoma State - Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) 56 - 3 (W) 760 AM livestats.gif spacer.gif Sat, Sep 29 New Mexico State * - at Las Cruces, N.M. 35 - 14 (W) ESPN3/KCWX-2

760 AM

livestats.gif Sat, Oct 13 Rice - at Houston, Texas 14 - 34 (L) FOX College Sports

760 AM

livestats.gif Homecoming Sat, Oct 20 San Jose State * - Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) 24 - 52 (L) ESPN3

760 AM

livestats.gif spacer.gif Youth Sports & Band Day Sat, Oct 27 Utah State * - Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) 17 - 48 (L) ESPN3

760 AM

livestats.gif spacer.gif Sat, Nov 03 Lousiana Tech * 22 at Ruston, La. 27 - 51 (L) ESPN Regional TV/ESPN3/KCWX-2

760 AM

livestats.gif Military Appreciation Day Sat, Nov 10 McNeese State - Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) 31 - 24 (W) 104.5 FM livestats.gif spacer.gif Sat, Nov 17 Idaho * - at Moscow, Idaho 34 - 27 (W) KCWX-2

760 AM

livestats.gif I-35 Rivalry/Fan, Faculty & Staff Appreciation Day Sat, Nov 24 Texas State * - Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) 38 - 31 (W) 760 AM livestats.gif * Conference Games << Previous Season Next Season >>

5 of their 8 wins were with D2 or NCAA 1AA schools.

I was throwing in basketball as well which has been darn impressive the past couple of years.

LATech for sure.

Not sure about MT. They can't seem to put it together year after year under Stockstill. They'll be great for a year or two, then tank real hard. Then bounce back... It's hard to gague them.

5 of their 8 wins were with D2 or NCAA 1AA schools.

...and their other 3 wins were against another FBS newbie and 2 of the worst teams in FBS. So yeah, I think they have a better chance of being 2-10 or worse than we do, but if their program keeps growing at the rate it has been, we'd better watch our backs and not assume "easy wins" over them until we prove our own stability.

I believe UNT has a great chance of being a contender from the beginning.

Football-wise, I think we have about as good of a chance as anybody else. LaTech lost about its entire team to graduation. FIU has been going backwards, and although they have talent, I doubt that Ron Turner is the guy to turn everything around for them. FAU is in rebuild mode. UTSA is still a cute joke. MTSU is probably the only one of the new teams I would put ahead of North Texas for next season.

Football-wise, I think we have about as good of a chance as anybody else. LaTech lost about its entire team to graduation. FIU has been going backwards, and although they have talent, I doubt that Ron Turner is the guy to turn everything around for them. FAU is in rebuild mode. UTSA is still a cute joke. MTSU is probably the only one of the new teams I would put ahead of North Texas for next season.

As far as La Tech goes, I'm curious about how the replacements to the graduating seniors are going to perform. If they were well-coached and groomed properly as replacements, the Dogs could be dangerous for years to come...and that's exactly what I'm hoping we will see from our guys if Mac's "build, train, recruit, and redshirt" approach turns out well this and next year. Even with a slightly elevated level of competition, I think the combination of the 2013 and 2014 seasons will show if things are going as hoped. And since we all pretty much agree that anything over 2 wins guarantees Mac another year (be we happy or not about that), then the true analysis will be comparing this year's results to next year's. I still think 5-7 wins this season, but either way, if we improve in the final outcome from 2013 to 2014, then I believe that we can say it was a success. However, if we win 2 games this year and 3 next year, I won't call that real improvement. So we wait and see...again...

• Upvote 1

They will make a big impact in terms of attendance. Their "signature" win was New Mexico State. Larry Coker will build a good program there but don't expect much coming out of the chute.

At the risk of being a homer, I'll pick North Texas to lead the new arrivals. We have the best defense of the new teams and none of the newbies have much offense.

Louisiana Tech lost everything but a very good running back. The defense has been decimated but maybe that's a good thing since they were the worst by far in the nation last year (gave up more than 525 yards per game). This time they won't have the #1 offense to outscore opponents. Scotty Young is going to have to learn their offense all over again. I see a fourth or fifth place finish in the West.

Middle Tenn is fairly even with us on offense vs. last year's team but lost their scorers and a lot of their defense. I believe that they'll finish third or fourth in the East.

FIU was better than their record last year but they've lost some players and I'm not sure how the returning players will perform with a new system and dealing with Cristobal's firing. Probably sixth in the East.

FAU had a decent defense last year but their offense was weak and they've lost a good deal on both sides of the ball. Pellini probably doesn't have the talent to move them out of the East cellar.

If UTSA can beat anyone, their best chance will be UTEP. The Miners lost heavily. They still have a very good running back but the rest is up for grabs.

• Upvote 1

Good. Good. Let the hate flow through you.

"I'll never join you!"

"Come on, Anakin. Chicks dig it. And we know Jedi aren't into relationships."

"Oh, okay then. You call Padme, I need to go lightsaber-apeshit on some alien Jedi kids."

If you can get D-Mac into some black robes, I'll get my sweet baby to make the Denton run in as few parsecs as possible.

...I have no idea what any of that means. Please move on to the next post. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

• Upvote 2

The only newcomer NT is favored over is UTSA. However, if the stars line up right NT should be as good as any of them. In fact, other than Tulsa; there should not be a CUSA West team that NT can not play very competitive with.

If I have the guts to put on my green colored glasses after this year's MBB, I can see NT being much improved.

The only segment of the team that appears to be weaker is TE. QB should be better no matter who wins the job. Running back should be stronger only losing Brown and replacing him with Pegram. WR with Chancellor returning and a cast of seemingly thousands should be better. Offensive line loses two good players but returns three starters, a part time starter and added a Juco AA.

On the defensive side loses were minimal. Linebacker is a strong position and the defensive backfield should be greatly improved. I can't see the dl being any worse and there is solid hope for improvement.

• Upvote 1

Witness the full power of our Apogee Stadium.

We should add a giant MFing laser to the top of it. Or at least build a moat around it with some sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads. I mean seriously, what do I pay you people for?

Edited by Rudy

They will make a big impact in terms of attendance. Their "signature" win was New Mexico State. Larry Coker will build a good program there but don't expect much coming out of the chute.

At the risk of being a homer, I'll pick North Texas to lead the new arrivals. We have the best defense of the new teams and none of the newbies have much offense.

Louisiana Tech lost everything but a very good running back. The defense has been decimated but maybe that's a good thing since they were the worst by far in the nation last year (gave up more than 525 yards per game). This time they won't have the #1 offense to outscore opponents. Scotty Young is going to have to learn their offense all over again. I see a fourth or fifth place finish in the West.

Middle Tenn is fairly even with us on offense vs. last year's team but lost their scorers and a lot of their defense. I believe that they'll finish third or fourth in the East.

FIU was better than their record last year but they've lost some players and I'm not sure how the returning players will perform with a new system and dealing with Cristobal's firing. Probably sixth in the East.

FAU had a decent defense last year but their offense was weak and they've lost a good deal on both sides of the ball. Pellini probably doesn't have the talent to move them out of the East cellar.

If UTSA can beat anyone, their best chance will be UTEP. The Miners lost heavily. They still have a very good running back but the rest is up for grabs.

I think this, too. I think we will be better than anything we have seen here in Denton since 2004. I truly believe that we will go 6-6. I think Berglund will be the main difference.

• Upvote 1