The next wave of realignment?

10Eagle10

At this point, about half your cable bill is dedicated to paying for live sports. ESPN commands the highest national subscriber fee, but regional sports networks that broadcast regular-season NBA and Major League Baseball games also command huge fees. Those who don't care about sports are beginning to wake up to the fact that they don't need to pay so much for events they have no intention of watching. Now, they can cut the cord and entertain themselves by streaming shows through Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus or broadcast network websites or apps for a fraction of the price. When enough sports atheists figure this out, the cable/satellite distribution model will have a problem. Because as much as sports fans love their sports, they don't love them enough to double what they're paying now.

• Upvote 2

Great article -- this has been a drumbeat of Arkstfan for some time. I have had this argument with my wife when I look at what we are paying for Uverse on TV and DVR programming...most of the shows she watches are available through the various streaming site although there are some exceptions. My guess is that the cable satellite folks will realize that they have to lower the cost of their service or risk complete destruction...by lowering their prices they will be allowed to survive longer sort of like how the phone company did...

But back to Arkstfan's point, subscription model makes sense...especially when people are paying satellite and cable companies who in turn pay ESPN etc big dollars.

There are; plenty of shows that I could watch online, but I hate too

...don't like to not be able to switch channels or having to set up the cords to the computer....lazy, yeah...but I like to watch TV, not internet...

• Upvote 1

Originally, we only got cable so we could have easy access to cartoons and kiddie stuff. But here's something interesting: comp accounts. I don't know exactly who all is given these, but my wife runs an apartment complex and talked to somebody who had extra ones for that month so we ended up with one. Now we get free cable. It's only basic, so that's what, like 50 bucks a month? Not sure if they do it for dish or anything else, but if you're tight with somebody who works with cable companies to set them up with customers, it's worth asking about to see if they can get yours comped.