After reading a book about Columbine 13 years after the fact, I can tell you that half of what the news media says about stuff like this will be incorrect. And yes, the shooter probably played violent video games but guess what, so do 90% of males his age. Correlation =/ causation
very true, I watched violent movies from a young age, played violent video games, shot guns and have never killed another creature or human. It all goes back to being grounded in reality and discipline knowing right from young.

Also gun laws did not/could not have stopped this tragedy, this young man for whatever reason had it for his parents and decided to also take his life and 20 young innocent kids. Bless the families as they attempt to move on. Nothing the school did could have prevented this IMO.

I live in Newtown. This is utterly devastating. The entire community is numb and in shock. All the schools were in lock down for several hours. My daughters were at two different schools. One was in gym class and they ushered them all into a storage room, locked the doors and turned out the lights. She spent over two hours in complete darkness - the kind of darkness where you can't see your hand in front of your face. They had no idea what was going on until they were finally let out. Just a horrific day for our town. Say prayers for the families.

• Upvote 7

I live in Newtown. This is utterly devastating. The entire community is numb and in shock. All the schools were in lock down for several hours. My daughters were at two different schools. One was in gym class and they ushered them all into a storage room, locked the doors and turned out the lights. She spent over two hours in complete darkness - the kind of darkness where you can't see your hand in front of your face. They had no idea what was going on until they were finally let out. Just a horrific day for our town. Say prayers for the families.

Just hearing your story gives me chills. I wish everyone would chill out on trying to push their political agendas so we can take time to grieve for those young lives lost.

• Upvote 1

Nevermind, I thought I read parent in there.

Fail on me.

---I thought CNN did the best job of reporting and did not jump to conclusions and make many statements that were inaccurate... They were even careful about the shooter's name which turned out to be wrong... I listened to several networks and many reported things as facts and not rumors... which were wrong.

--- It is now several days later and has been learned the Mom had owned the guns and taken the "kid" to shooting practice with her and he shot as well... That did not turn out well for her. Her best protection was not shooting practice.... but to not own them. He apparently had "social problems" at school and had been home schooled part of the time. ....... A sad situation..... This may not have been the worse ever by body count... but it was the worst in my mind because the victims were very small children that had done nothing wrong and had no chance of even defending themselves or to overpower him..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

---I thought CNN did the best job of reporting and did not jump to conclusions and make many statements that were inaccurate... They were even careful about the shooter's name was turned out to be wrong... I listened to several network and many reported things as facts and not rumors... which were wrong.

Agree. I particularly appreciate Anderson Cooper's stance of not mentioning the name of the killer.

• Upvote 3

Agree. I particularly appreciate Anderson Cooper's stance of not mentioning the name of the killer.

I am sure his brother did too..... plus he was the one many networks first reported as being the killer..

• Upvote 1

A rifle such as an M1 used a Clip. The rounds were bunched together on the Clip to feed the rounds into the rifle and they called it a Clip.

A Magazine is a spring loaded enclosed mechanism that feeds the weapon its rounds. Just like the Sig and Glock this maggot used to slaughter innocent people.

People annoy me when they say clip too. I had a range instructor who used to correct people that have seen to many movies and television.

Either way I wish he would have survived and then been locked in a room with these kid's parents.

Edited by UNTexas

Texas legislature wants to put teachers with guns in schools. Teachers are not trained to deal with some idiot coming in to shoot up the place. If police are too expensive then how about a security firm with 1 or 2 guards who are trained to deal with stuff like this.

Texas legislature wants to put teachers with guns in schools. Teachers are not trained to deal with some idiot coming in to shoot up the place. If police are too expensive then how about a security firm with 1 or 2 guards who are trained to deal with stuff like this.

I think this is a horrible idea. Definitely not the direction we should go. If the teacher already has a CHL, MAYBE but all that does is let kids know that there's already a gun in the classroom and if they really want to, they can wrestle it away from the teacher, or if the teacher steps out take it out of her purse... etc.

Just not a very good idea at all. Doesn't surprise me that this idea came from Rick Perry, King of saying things to rile-up ultra conservative people.

The teachers that would be armed would be trained, and then only a few select individuals would know who is armed. They wouldn't be like the teachers in Israel who are walking around with semi automatic rifles on their backs.

*Note the proper term is not "assault rifle"*

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The teachers that would be armed would be trained, and then only a few select individuals would know who is armed. They wouldn't be like the teachers in Israel who are walking around with semi automatic rifles on their backs.

*Note the proper term is not "assault rifle"*

It would be more appropriate, IMO, to just have trained security/police there. The job of our teachers is to educate children, not to prepare for assaults on schools, and I don't trust the full measure of them to THAT task.

That said, there IS training for students and teachers out there in how to respond to these type of assaults. One company I know of specifically was started here locally and has provided training to a number of schools/universities/businesses around the country. This sort of training ought to be as necessary as fire drills/tornado drills/etc. Most people simply have no plan on how to respond in these events. Then again... no one is really concerned about that aspect of it.

• Upvote 1

It would be more appropriate, IMO, to just have trained security/police there. The job of our teachers is to educate children, not to prepare for assaults on schools, and I don't trust the full measure of them to THAT task.

That said, there IS training for students and teachers out there in how to respond to these type of assaults. One company I know of specifically was started here locally and has provided training to a number of schools/universities/businesses around the country. This sort of training ought to be as necessary as fire drills/tornado drills/etc. Most people simply have no plan on how to respond in these events. Then again... no one is really concerned about that aspect of it.

There's also not a lot of talk about the people wielding the firearm, too. Lanza (from what I understand) was going to be committed, so he got his hands on the firearms his mother owned and didn't secure. Maybe part of the process of owning a firearm is like getting to drive. A series of safety classes, maintenance courses, decisionmaking drills, and showing responsibility for securing the firearm, like lockboxes, gun safes, etc. If we have to test for a driver's license, why not a firearm? Plus, the best shooter is one that's as proficient with actually firing as they are deciding when to draw and deciding how to store their weapon.

A rifle such as an M1 used a Clip. The rounds were bunched together on the Clip to feed the rounds into the rifle and they called it a Clip.

A Magazine is a spring loaded enclosed mechanism that feeds the weapon its rounds. Just like the Sig and Glock this maggot used to slaughter innocent people.

People annoy me when they say clip too. I had a range instructor who used to correct people that have seen to many movies and television.

Either way I wish he would have survived and then been locked in a room with these kid's parents.

I have stripper clips for my SKS

A CHL and a brief "training" for teachers how to shoot the bad guy has "failure" written all over it. Military, Police, even armed Security Guards are trained to deal with an intruder. Teachers are not.

It is sad that kids have to go through the same thing as airline travelers do to get into school. Medal detectors (yes kids do bring weapons to school), x-ray machines for backpacks...if that is what it takes to keep kids safe in school, our school taxes just went up.

• Upvote 2