Kudos the the NRA for being the adult in the situation and holding their comments until after a majority of the funerals were conducted.

Too bad some felt the need to try to make political hay out of this tragedy by running up to Newtown and, in an ever so clever way, calling for gun control. Completely disgusting.

This debate happens after every single one of these shootings, and what people finally come to realize is that if a person really wants to do this, there is little that can be done to stop him, unless someone else who is armed is able to stop the shooter before he takes lives. Even that is a crap shoot, because the shooter will have the upper hand with his preparation and the element of surprise.

I heard an interesting fact about mass shootings. There has been something like 48 since 1948 (numbers may be a little off here), with 26 coming since 2006. Can anyone figure out what happened in 2006???

That was basically the explosion of social media. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame/infamy. The mentally disturbed will take it any way they can get it. What would curtail these instances is if the news media STOPPED TREATING THE MURDERS LIKE CELEBRITIES!!! Don't tell us their name. This HAS to come from the media. There is no way the police can or should withhold the suspect's name. The media can. They do it all the time with victims of sexual abuse. Also, call them what they are. Not "suspect" but "mass murderer" every time in place of using their name.

Right now, these kids, in their warped sense of self-awareness, see being a mass murderer as something that will make their life meaningful and historic. Thanks to the media, the historic part is absolutley correct.

How many of you can name the UT Rifleman, the Columbine mass murderers, the Wedgewood church mass murderer???

Now, how many of you can name one of their victims?

That's an embarassing commentary on our culture.

Very well written and said. I can't name a shooter in those cases and I can't name a victim either. No offense intended here, but I'm sure you can name the NFL's all-time leading rusher. The winner of the last five SuperBowls, the World Series Champion, the defending NCAA Men's Basketball Champion. Is there anything wrong with this?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Very well written and said. I can't name a shooter in those cases and I can't name a victim either. No offense intended here, but I'm sure you can name the NFL's all-time leading rusher. The winner of the last five SuperBowls, the World Series Champion, the defending NCAA Men's Basketball Champion. Is there anything wrong with this?

Really? You can't name one of the mass murderers? Good for you. Consider yourself in the minority.

Try this. Google Columbine and see whose names come up first, the mass murderers or the victims.

As for knowing who did what in sports, that really has nothing to do with anything. If you are saying mass murder equates with these achievements, well, I would obviously disagree.

Keep glorifying the mass murderers and mass murders will continue to occur.

Is positive re-enforcement, even in a negative demented way, really so hard to understand?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a different bit of food for thought.

"THE GIANT, GAPING HOLE IN SANDY HOOK REPORTING

Exclusive: David Kupelian says 1 piece of crucial information has yet to be disclosed"

http://mobile.wnd.com/2013/01/the-giant-gaping-hole-in-sandy-hook-reporting/

"It has been more than three weeks since the shooting. We know all about the guns he used, but what medication may he have used?..."

..."As I documented in How Evil Works, it is simply indisputable that most perpetrators of school shootings and similar mass murders in our modern era were either on or just recently coming off of psychiatric medications:

Columbine mass-killer Eric Harris was taking Luvox like Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor and many others, a modern and widely prescribed type of antidepressant drug called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or SSRIs. Harris and fellow student Dylan Klebold went on a hellish school shooting rampage in 1999 during which they killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 24 others before turning their guns on themselves.Luvox manufacturer Solvay Pharmaceuticals concedes that during short-term controlled clinical trials, 4 percent of children and youth taking Luvox thats 1 in 25 developed mania, a dangerous and violence-prone mental derangement characterized by extreme excitement and delusion.

Patrick Purdy went on a schoolyard shooting rampage in Stockton, Calif., in 1989, which became the catalyst for the original legislative frenzy to ban semiautomatic assault weapons in California and the nation. The 25-year-old Purdy, who murdered five children and wounded 30, had been on Amitriptyline, an antidepressant, as well as the antipsychotic drug Thorazine.

Kip Kinkel, 15, murdered his parents in 1998 and the next day went to his school, Thurston High in Springfield, Ore., and opened fire on his classmates, killing two and wounding 22 others. He had been prescribed both Prozac and Ritalin.

In 1988, 31-year-old Laurie Dann went on a shooting rampage in a second-grade classroom in Winnetka, Ill., killing one child and wounding six. She had been taking the antidepressant Anafranil as well as Lithium, long used to treat mania.

In Paducah, Ky., in late 1997, 14-year-old Michael Carneal, son of a prominent attorney, traveled to Heath High School and started shooting students in a prayer meeting taking place in the schools lobby, killing three and leaving another paralyzed. Carneal reportedly was on Ritalin.

In 2005, 16-year-old Native American Jeff Weise, living on Minnesotas Red Lake Indian Reservation, shot and killed nine people and wounded five others before killing himself. Weise had been taking Prozac.

In another famous case, 47-year-old Joseph T. Wesbecker, just a month after he began taking Prozac in 1989, shot 20 workers at Standard Gravure Corp. in Louisville, Ky., killing nine. Prozac-maker Eli Lilly later settled a lawsuit brought by survivors.

Kurt Danysh, 18, shot his own father to death in 1996, a little more than two weeks after starting on Prozac. Danyshs description of own his mental-emotional state at the time of the murder is chilling: I didnt realize I did it until after it was done, Danysh said. This might sound weird, but it felt like I had no control of what I was doing, like I was left there just holding a gun.

John Hinckley, age 25, took four Valium two hours before shooting and almost killing President Ronald Reagan in 1981. In the assassination attempt, Hinckley also wounded press secretary James Brady, Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy and policeman Thomas Delahanty.

Andrea Yates, in one of the most heartrending crimes in modern history, drowned all five of her children aged 7 years down to 6 months in a bathtub. Insisting inner voices commanded her to kill her children, she had become increasingly psychotic over the course of several years. At her 2006 murder re-trial (after a 2002 guilty verdict was overturned on appeal), Yates longtime friend Debbie Holmes testified: She asked me if I thought Satan could read her mind and if I believed in demon possession. And Dr. George Ringholz, after evaluating Yates for two days, recounted an experience she had after the birth of her first child: What she described was feeling a presence Satan telling her to take a knife and stab her son Noah, Ringholz said, adding that Yates delusion at the time of the bathtub murders was not only that she had to kill her children to save them, but that Satan had entered her and that she had to be executed in order to kill Satan.Yates had been taking the antidepressant Effexor. In November 2005, more than four years after Yates drowned her children, Effexor manufacturer Wyeth Pharmaceuticals quietly added homicidal ideation to the drugs list of rare adverse events. The Medical Accountability Network, a private nonprofit focused on medical ethics issues, publicly criticized Wyeth, saying Effexors homicidal ideation risk wasnt well-publicized and that Wyeth failed to send letters to doctors or issue warning labels announcing the change.And what exactly does rare mean in the phrase rare adverse events? The FDA defines it as occurring in less than one in 1,000 people. But since that same year 19.2 million prescriptions for Effexor were filled in the U.S., statistically that means thousands of Americans might experience homicidal ideation murderous thoughts as a result of taking just this one brand of antidepressant drug.Effexor is Wyeths best-selling drug, by the way, which in one recent year brought in over $3 billion in sales, accounting for almost a fifth of the companys annual revenues.

One more case is instructive, that of 12-year-old Christopher Pittman, who struggled in court to explain why he murdered his grandparents, who had provided the only love and stability hed ever known in his turbulent life. When I was lying in my bed that night, he testified, I couldnt sleep because my voice in my head kept echoing through my mind telling me to kill them. Christopher had been angry with his grandfather, who had disciplined him earlier that day for hurting another student during a fight on the school bus. So later that night, he shot both of his grandparents in the head with a .410 shotgun as they slept and then burned down their South Carolina home, where he had lived with them.I got up, got the gun, and I went upstairs and I pulled the trigger, he recalled. Through the whole thing, it was like watching your favorite TV show. You know what is going to happen, but you cant do anything to stop it.Pittmans lawyers would later argue that the boy had been a victim of involuntary intoxication, since his doctors had him taking the antidepressants Paxil and Zoloft just prior to the murders.Paxils known adverse drug reactions according to the drugs FDA-approved label include mania, insomnia, anxiety, agitation, confusion, amnesia, depression, paranoid reaction, psychosis, hostility, delirium, hallucinations, abnormal thinking, depersonalization and lack of emotion, among others.The preceding examples are only a few of the best-known offenders who had been taking prescribed psychiatric drugs before committing their violent crimes there are many others.

Whether we like to admit it or not, it is undeniable that when certain people living on the edge of sanity take psychiatric medications, those drugs can and occasionally do push them over the edge into violent madness. Remember, every single SSRI antidepressant sold in the United States of America today, no matter what brand or manufacturer, bears a black box FDA warning label the governments most serious drug warning of increased risks of suicidal thinking and behavior, known as suicidality, in young adults ages 18 to 24. Common sense tells us that where there are suicidal thoughts especially in a very, very angry person homicidal thoughts may not be far behind. Indeed, the mass shooters we are describing often take their own lives when the police show up, having planned their suicide ahead of time...."

"So, what medication was Lanza on?"

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm hearing that he didn't even have a semi automatic rifle in the car, but a shotgun.

It doesn't matter the semi-automatic rifles use the same firing mechanism as every semi-aitomatic pistol, they look mean, so we must ban them.

Logic be damned.

It's funny that many on here who want semi-autos or magazines banned are the same people clamoring for the legalization of drugs.

Lets see, mind altering substance ok, mechanical device bad.

This country needs more thought and less feel.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It doesn't matter the semi-automatic rifles use the same firing mechanism as every semi-aitomatic pistol, they look mean, so we must ban them.

Logic be damned.

It's funny that many on here who want semi-autos or magazines banned are the same people clamoring for the legalization of drugs.

Lets see, mind altering substance ok, mechanical device bad.

This country needs more thought and less feel.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me, why 100 round magazines are needed, except to kill people?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me, why 100 round magazines are needed, except to kill people?
Apparently you don't understand why we have a second amendment.

Governors of NY and Connecticut threatening to go door to door to confiscate weapons. And now Biden says Pres. Obama may exercise executive priviledge to enforce some kind of gun control.

Again, if you think our own form of government will never change, you are a historical idiot. The authors of the second amendment were not.

Lets see, can anyone name historical dictators who used public emotion to gain control? Hint: just about every single one.

And what makes grabbing absolute power easier than disarming anyone who may be opposed, and even those who support, you.

I'm not saying this is what is happening at this point in time, but this is the reason for the 2nd amendment.

And if it ever did happen, democracy would need all the 100 round magazines that it could get its hands on.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Apparently you don't understand why we have a second amendment.

Governors of NY and Connetecut threatening to go door to door to confiscate weapons. And now Biden says Pres. Obama may exercise executive priviledge to enforce some kind of gun control.

Again, if you think our own form of government will never change, you are a historical idiot. The authors of the second amendment were not.

Lets see, can anyone name historical dictators who used public emotion to gain control? Hint: just about every single one.

And what makes grabbing absolute power easier than disarming anyone who may be opposed, and even those who support, you.

I'm not saying this is what is happening at this point in time, but this is the reason for the 2nd amendment.

And if it ever did happen, democracy would need all the 100 round magazines that it could get its hands on.

"Gun rights activists' paranoid fears of a possible dystopic future prevents America from addressing its actual dystopic present."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

"Gun rights activists' paranoid fears of a possible dystopic future prevents America from addressing its actual dystopic present."

Nice quote that, unfortunately, completely ignores history.

An estimated 600k have been murdered or starved to death in North Korean political prison camps since the late 50s. These camps imprison families for 3 generations for the sins of their ancestors, which are as benign as defecting to S. Korea.

If you think it could never happen here, again you are completely ignoring history. This country faces insolvency and the public approval rating of congress is less than 20%. There is a time coming, probably within the next 10 years, where our form of government will be severely tested. The conditions will be ripe for such a challenge.

That test could come from either the left or the right.

UNT90 is trying to create a parallel between North Korean death camps, gun laws, and the current deficit in the federal budget. Do I have to explain the lunacy behind that?
Just pointing out what can happen when government goes unchecked.

As far as gun laws, it was the authors of and the voters for the second amendment who were worried about US government oppression.

If you want to change gun laws, you need to go through the process of amending the second amendment of the constitution. That is why the process is there.

Any attempt to shortcut that process is an attempt to undermine the constitution itself. Undermining the constitution is the most basic form of undermining our form of government...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/291567/483/Husband-heard-telling-wife-to-shoot-burglar-on-911-call

"Husband heard telling wife to shoot burglar on 911 call"

..."LOGANVILLE, Ga. -- On Tuesday, Walton County released the 911 calls made as Paul Slater allegedly broke into a home on Henderson Ridge Drive, hunting down the woman and her two children inside.

Investigators believe he originally intended to rob the homeowners, but for some reason shifted his focus to finding Melinda Herman and her twin 9-year old children hiding in a crawl space upstairs.

"At some point he must have seen one of the kids go upstairs or heard them because he went upstairs, pried open the bedroom door, the bathroom door, back bathroom door and then pulled open the crawl space to get to them," said Cpt. Greg Hall with the Walton County Sheriff's Office.

When Slater opened that last door, he was confronted with six bullets fired from a .38 handgun. Five hit their mark, giving the Hermans a chance to escape.

Melinda called her husband while the family was in hiding and he in turn called police. In the 911 tape he tells his wife, "Melinda, if he opens that door you shoot, you shoot him. You understand?"

Less than two minutes later you hear Donnie Herman tell the 911 dispatcher, "She shot him. She's shooting him. She's shooting him. She's shooting him again, shoot him!"

The call between Donnie and his wife then goes silent. It will be seven long agonizing minutes before dispatchers tell Donnie his wife and children are okay.

Slater made it out of the house as well, but was found nearby on Jakes Cove, with his car on the side of the road. The police report says Slater was on the ground bleeding from the face and body.

The family declined to talk about the 911 call or what happened , but Cpt. Hall says they're clearly still shaken.

"Just like I told her that night, there's right and there's wrong and then there's not natural. And it's not natural to have to shoot someone. So it's going to bother you and if it doesn't bother you at some point in your life, there's something wrong." said Hall.

Slater remains on a ventilator in intensive care at Gwinnett Medical Center...."

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Rick, I applaud the woman. Her husband trained her to use the weapon safely. But those 695 deaths weren't people protecting their homes.

Some of them were.

And that horrifying total equated to about a week's worth of automobile deaths within the same timeframe.

But the reality is "The data are not comprehensive and are not suitable for statistical analysis." is all you need to know.

Edited by Monkeypox

The woman who shot the robber in Georgia is lucky. The suspect was hit 5 times and survived after she had fired all six rounds. She is lucky he chose to break off the attack, since she had no more rounds.

And the government says noone "needs" more than 10 rounds.

Darn, that lady can't aim! Too bad!