Except that grammatically, those two statements are not required to be related, STRICTLY speaking. It says that in order to have a well-regulated militia, you need the right to bear arms. It does not say that you can not have arms unless you are already in a militia. This is one of the arguments that people like to make, ignoring that the Supreme Court already ruled that a militia was the PURPOSE of the right to bear arms, but not a requirement to exercise that right.

The way I read it, the part about having the right to bear arms means that if you DO bear arms, your ass can be drafted into the militia so that you can use those arms.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why is releasing letters from children pleading for a safer neighborhood/world disgraceful?

Question...no answer.....

I am thinking maybe because these were letters they did not think to write themselves but were "provided" the opportunity by some self-serving adults???? I have no clue, but maybe...just maybe this might be one avenue to pursue. And, of course, the motives...the very political ones...behind the White House releasing them when it did. Hey, just trying to provide a possible insight.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why is releasing letters from children pleading for a safer neighborhood/world disgraceful?
Because they are using kids as tools to again trounce the constitution for even MORE control over the U.S. citizen and it is disgraceful. Anyone with half a brain who read some of those letters can tell they were written by anti gun, liberal parents, if they were written by the kids at?

Just not right!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 2

"Rubio: President Obama is abusing his executive powers"

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2518781#.UPc2pr-9Kc0

.."Sen. Marco Rubio R-Fla. criticized President Obama moments ago for his speech promoting gun control and abusing his executive powers.

The president initiated 23 executive orders during his press conference, vowing to use whatever weight this office holds to promote his agenda.

In a statement, Rubio warned that Obamas use of executive power was troubling.

Making matters worse is that President Obama is again abusing his power by imposing his policies via executive fiat instead of allowing them to be debated in Congress, he said. President Obamas frustration with our republic and the way it works doesnt give him license to ignore the Constitution.

Rubio added that Obamas proposals would not have actually prevented the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut and were threatening the Second Amendment rights of legal gun owners.

President Obama is targeting the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens instead of seriously addressing the real underlying causes of such violence, Rubio said...."

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

"Bob Schieffer Likens Obama 'Taking on the Gun Lobby' to Hunt for Bin Laden, 'Defeating the Nazis"

http://m.newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-balan/2013/01/16/bob-schieffer-likens-obama-taking-gun-lobby-hunt-bin-laden-defeating-

"..Bob Schieffer somehow topped Chris Matthews during CBS News's special coverage of President Obama's gun control press conference on Wednesday, as he became the worst caricature of a foaming-at-the-mouth cheerleader for the chief executive. Schieffer lauded "one of the best speeches I've ever heard him [Obama] deliver", and compared Obama's new gun control agenda to Lyndon Johnson's push for civil rights legislation in the 1960s.

The CBS veteran even went so far to liken the President's cause to the ten-year hunt for 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden and the difficult endeavor of winning World War II..."

Talk about your Bat Shit Crazies!

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The way I read it, the part about having the right to bear arms means that if you DO bear arms, your ass can be drafted into the militia so that you can use those arms.

It doesn't say that, though.

If you want to cut hair, you need scissors. It doesn't mean that if you have scissors, you're required to cut hair.

• Upvote 1

Ok, so if Bush, or any conservative president were to have a bunch of kids by their side if they were to make a push to limit abortions, that's ok too? Or would that be over the line?

In all fairness.... we've already seen Bush handle an important issue with a bunch of kids by his side.

360_bush_sep_11_classroom_hfs_0502.jpg

• Upvote 1

In all fairness.... we've already seen Bush handle an important issue with a bunch of kids by his side.

And he handled it flawlessly.

So, lets examine President Obama's solution to the first massing shooting in U.S. history. No? Ok, the first mass shooting in 50 years. No? Ok, SURELY the 1st mass shooting in Pres. Obama's time in office. No?

What? There was a mass shooting 5 months earlier and Pres. Obama didn't do a damn thing? Say it isn't so!!!!!! It's like Pres. Obama killed those poor kids himself through inaction! Oh, wait, that's what would have been said if this was a republican administration, my bad.

But, back to the solution. It seeems oh so familiar. Why? Maybe because it is just about the same legislation as the Brady Bill, you know, that bill that was inacted In the mid 80s and did oh so much to stop the Columbine massacre.

Congratulations, ignorant Americans, for allowing this administration to move the cheese once again. Heard anything about the national debt lately? Nope. Congrats, idiots, for allowing the wool to be pullled over your eyes yet again.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Actually, he was in the middle of meeting with some children when he recieved the news. If he had gathered the kids around him to make a statement about 9/11, that would be different. I see the point you are trying to make, but that particular example is completely different.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1

"Republicans accuse Obama of using position as President to lead country"

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/01/republicans-accuse-obama-of-using-position-as-president-to-lead-country.html

“President Obama looks down the list of all of the powers that are legally his and he’s like a kid in a candy store,” Rep. Stockman said. “It’s nauseating.”

The Texas congressman said that if Mr. Obama persists in executing the office of the Presidency as defined by the Constitution, he could face “impeachment and/or deportation.”

CBL

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Why does Barack Obama hate poor people and minorities and illegals? I mean after all, we know from the Voter ID debate that they can't be expected to, and are probably financially unable to obtain Voter ID. So how does he expect them to obtain an ID and pass a background check in order to purchase guns and ammunition to protect themselves in their own homes?

Just doesn't seem right to me?

...(is this a Question No Info moment?)....

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

So...apples to oranges comparisons are good as long as they attempt to prove a point, yes?

Why does Barack Obama hate poor people and minorities and illegals? I mean after all, we know from the Voter ID debate that they can't be expected to, and are probably financially unable to obtain Voter ID. So how does he expect them to obtain an ID and pass a background check in order to purchase guns and ammunition to protect themselves in their own homes?

...(is this a Question No Info moment?)....

Rick

---You live in a large city... there are places in West Texas that you have to drive across several countries to even get to a driver's license/ID location... not every county has one in sparse areas. they sure don't have passports with a picture (saw several of people who had lost their certificate and drivers licence**] I agree.... it sounds like a great idea until you start looking at details and the problems...

--- I work as an election judge... and the problem of fraud is not at the polls ...... it is all about mail in ballots (and who really fills them out) .... and you know which party sent out requests for mail in ballots to their primary voters. That likely wasn't their intention (fraud) ... . it was just to get their voters to vote........ oddly it like prohibited many from voting... they got one in the mail ... did not mail it in ... and then wanted to vote on election day...... they could not ... they had already gotten their ballot and often lost it and could not surrender it and vote normally. We had to turn away a lot of people because of it. [ both parties are represented by workers at general election voting sites ]

**some had been pick-pocketed while traveling, one left billfold in a taxi, one lost his in a lake... many strange reasons.. but still had their passport as an ID. A few came with nothing... but could not vote even if name was on roll.

Another oddity locally.... we had so many with no local address on license... the local office license office is so insanely busy because of our 2.7% unemployment with so many moving in (Midland) and because of the budget cuts by Perry that they are very understaffed ( fired teachers like crazy as well ... may we could do with less firefighters next....hahaha). I even know people who get their licence renewed or address changed while traveling in other counties... don't want to wait in long lines (100 ft) here. Hard to believe Texas has budget problem with unemployment like it is (better than most times) plus insane amount of oil revenue flowing into treasury..... and he is giving away billions in incentives to people and tax breaks to companies who often don't need them. Example: Incentives to friendly petroleum companies... make no sense.. they are national/international companies so any saving aren't passed on to just Texans and the oil is here not Maine or New Hamsphire etc.... they can't go elsewhere.. Pay attention to what he has been doing.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Rick

You want more guns for illegals?

So...apples to oranges comparisons are good as long as they attempt to prove a point, yes?

Shouldn't you ask that question of the guy who jumped the discussion to abortion from gun control?

Interesting...when the nation's strictest gun legislation was enacted in Washington DC, the murder rate skyrocketed and did not come down until the Supreme Court ruled the ban unconstitutional. Source is an ex-Washington prosecutor....info is in the 1-17-13 issue of the Wall Street Journal.

Also...here is a thought...it will not be the Republicans that squash stricter gun regulations in Congress...it will be the Dems. The last time the Dems pushed gun control through Congress, they darn near were swept out of office in the next general election. Reid knows this and he probvably will not want to see it happen again.

Another thing to "hide and watch"...Question...will Obama try to use provisions of his massive Obamacare act to enforce stricter gun regulations? All in the guise of "public health issues". Think not...think again. Just something to ponder and watch for in coming months as O gets pushback on legislation from not only the R's bur the Dems as well.

Many many Dems own handguns, high powered rifles, are NRA members, hunt, have CHL's, etc., etc. Many people would be very surprised to learn that gun ownership and 2nd Amendment issues are not strictly a R and/or conservative issue. Should be interesting for folks who watch this sort of thing closely.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

The way you phrased this makes me think of this:

megatron_repaint_cartoon.jpg

Maybe you meant to say something like, "How Many People Have Been Killed by murderers using Guns Since Newtown?" Or, maybe you meant guns like Megatron that kill on their own... I don't know.

• Upvote 4

Yes...some folks tend to forget...or do so on purpose as it seems to justify their persopnal views on gun contral...that it takes willing thought from human beings to pull a trigger with the intent to harm another human being.

The inconvenient truth that it is really seems to bother people who want to take presonal freedom and liberties away from law abiding citizens in the name of some "do gooder" legislation. These folks just have a hard time accepting that "bad guys" kill people with guns...the gun is the instrument, not the "killer".

And, no...don't even go there...I am not speaking of our military, police and/or legal security folks here people...don't even try to go there!

Once again...sensible and constitutional solutions can be found. They will not be found as long as emotions rule the day for these folks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I like the unintentionally disturbing starting point for the Gun-death tally. By starting with and including an Newtown, it's stating that the time to care about gun control is after white kids from Connecticut die from it.

Not even to get into that the data itself is even more useless than CDC data. But it makes for some nice alarmism, I guess.

• Upvote 1