Setting the record straight on Mac's recruiting

Harry

Tony Benford sure hopes so.

I couldn't agree more with what tylergreen wrote. Your comment above and FFR's prove how unrealistic some of you have become and how sadly cynical of the program you are. It has become a whipping, so why not join the couple at the Paris Coffee Shop and hang your UNT diploma on the wall and buy tickets to TCU.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I couldn't agree more with what tylergreen wrote. Your comment above and FFR's prove how unrealistic some of you have become and how sadly cynical of the program you are. It has become a whipping, so why not join the couple at the Paris Coffee Shop and hang your UNT diploma on the wall and buy tickets to TCU.

That my meager expectations for Mean Green athletics are seen by some as unrealistic and cynical is really depressing... Hell, I predicted/expected a 5-7 football season with an outmanned team throwing the kitchen sink at their losses. I expected a basketball team with more talent than last year to make a decent showing of themselves early in the season. If I'm unrealistic/cynical for expecting the Mean Green to not suck balls.... I guess I haven't been a fan long enough?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So let's recap.

UNT fan's have TCU envy and some of us secretly have purple hanging in our closets.

We are preoccupied about other schools and their recruiting.

We are angry at UTSA for a number of reasons. Mainly because they played an easy schedule and went 8-4. They did lose to all 4 bowl bound teams.

UTSA is our most important game next year,

If we lose to the Roadrunners we replace the coach, the AD, and the mascot. (Scrappy the Eagle must endure the humiliation of wearing a Wylie Coyote costume as penitence)

So let's recap.

UNT fan's have TCU envy and some of us secretly have purple hanging in our closets.

We are preoccupied about other schools and their recruiting.

We are angry at UTSA for a number of reasons. Mainly because they played an easy schedule and went 8-4. They did lose to all 4 bowl bound teams.

UTSA is our most important game next year,

If we lose to the Roadrunners we replace the coach, the AD, and the mascot. (Scrappy the Eagle must endure the humiliation of wearing a Wylie Coyote costume as penitence)

game over/end of thread

You are correct. TCU has a great advantage over the UT's and OU's. Small, private school with a better education. Fort Worth is an easy city to sell to recruits. TCU was 8-4 this year with a win over UT and is as young as we are.

Their future is very bright in the Big 12.

Did I mention they are one of the few teams left in the Big 12 that actually play defense?

They also have a great coach. I think they have a good chance to succeed in the Big 12.

You are correct. TCU has a great advantage over the UT's and OU's. Small, private school with a better education. Fort Worth is an easy city to sell to recruits. TCU was 8-4 this year with a win over UT and is as young as we are.

I think TCU is 7-4 with a game against OU this weekend. Also, I never really thought of TCU as providing a better education than UT or OU. A pretty subjective area I guess. Some need a smaller school to excel while others don't.

• Upvote 1

What does TCU have to do with me wanting Mean Green Athletics to not suck balls? Straw Man much?

The point of tylergreen's post is that you, and many others on here, are calling for Mac's head and laying 8 years of futility at this man's feet without giving him a realistic chance to change things. I always consider a coach's first recruiting class, when the coach is hired in December, as a wash just because of the lack of time to properly put a class together. Any hits in this class are just "icing on the cake." So considering this point of view, his first real class were either placed on a redshirt this year or played as true freshmen with the quickly assembled class either being RS Freshmen or true Sophmores. A team with our previous eight year history is not going to turn around on the merits of these first two classes. The coach, Mac or whoever, has to change a losing culture, recruit athletes to a losing program that is probably not terribly attractive at that time and assemble an entirely new coaching staff, so I think a little patience is to be expected. Otherwise, we just stay on this merry-go-round of continually starting over.

Now FFR mentioned the youth of TCU this year being similar to the youth of UNT. This is true, but Patterson has been in place for a number of years providing stability, they have a winning record against good teams the last number of years and are thus able to attract more highly regarded recruits. Patterson wasn't also battling 8 years of futility and fair support from TCU and the Fort Worth community.

I am also tired of my team not playing well, or as you so eloquently put it "suck balls," but I am also realistic enough to look at the condition of the program Mac inherited, witnessed a change in the expectations and culture and understand that this is not a two year project. I wish it was, but it isn't. I can look at the program and see that we are headed in the right direction, have a coach and coaching staff that are much more experienced, have a much more engaged student body and players being recruited that are more apt to succeed at the D1 level.

As I stated earlier, I am not accepting the losing, I haven't lowered my expectations of this program, I am only being realistic about where we are at this time. Reading comprehension much?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So you still live fairly far off? Do you live in Texas? I know you used to live in Midland, or was it Odessa? The way you post I thought you had moved back to Denton.

Rick

Still out in west Texas but am in the area quite often, more so during football season.

The point of tylergreen's post is that you, and many others on here, are calling for Mac's head.........

....... Reading comprehension much?

I saw ONE person say that Mac should be fired, IF we lose to a startup program next year in UTSA. Others have simply said that outside of moral victories, the football team has not been measurably better, and that recruiting in general has not seemed to progress meaningfully. MOST are giving him the benefit of the doubt and remain hopeful. It's just that a few people are content with moral victories and wishcasting, and some actually believe that production is the true measure of success.

So I think you guys are the ones who should work on reading comprehension.

Mac has a higher salary, better facilities, a new stadium, those "skins on the wall" that people keep referring to, and a move up to CUSA. IOW, he's had more than any other coach here in a long time to work with. I do not think nor wish that Mac will be gone any time soon. But the football team needs to improve significantly.

• Upvote 1

I see that when somebody from another school expresses their opinion that isn't sunshine pumping, it isn't tolerated on GMG. Apparently my posting has been limited and one of your other posters in another thread apparently told me that I needed to be banned and most likely reported me to the mods. Whatever, I'm going home back to Killer Frogs and I'm going to hang out on Baylorfans, Ponyfans, Coogfans and even poke my head in at ShaggyBevo and TexAgs. At least they don't get sensitive when an outsider is honest and realistic.

Edited by FroggyStyle
  • Upvote 2

I see that when somebody from another school expresses their opinion that isn't sunshine pumping, it isn't tolerated on GMG. Apparently my posting has been limited and one of your other posters in another thread apparently told me that I needed to be banned and most likely reported me to the mods. Whatever, I'm going home back to Killer Frogs and I'm going to hang out on Baylorfans, Ponyfans, Coogfans and even poke my head in at ShaggyBevo and TexAgs. At least they don't get sensitive when an outsider is honest and realistic.

By that statement alone, you've proven to me that you've never really posted on a Baylorfans board. Those people make us look like a bunch of Mormon Missionaries.