Thinking about UNT’s future at QB post Brock Berglund

Harry

One topic that I have been meaning to get to over the last few days, but haven’t had a chance to is where UNT stands as far as quarterbacks go moving forward following Brock Berglund’s decision to attend junior college.

If you have not been following along, Berglund is the former Kansas quarterback who visited UNT and later decided to go to Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College, due largely to an NCAA ruling that would have forced him to sit a year and pay his own way if he enrolled at another FBS school.

Point being, Berglund was high on UNT’s wish list in a year this team absolutely has to sign a quarterback.

That was Dan McCarney’s take on national signing day in February. And it’s not too hard to see why.

UNT didn’t sign a quarterback in its 2012 class. UNT signed three in 2011, but Cooper Jones has since moved to tight end and Brent Osborn was a JUCO transfer who will be a junior in the fall.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/06/thinking-about-unts-future-at-qb-post-brock-berglund.html/

As a matter of fact, UNT has ALWAYS struggled to land the highly regarded QB. And sure enough, when you look at what elevates the Boise's, Houston and Tulsa's from the rest of the mid major world? It's their quarterbacks.Had Case Keenum not been UH's QB in our game last season would they have won that ball game?

As a matter of fact, UNT has ALWAYS struggled to land the highly regarded QB. And sure enough, when you look at what elevates the Boise's, Houston and Tulsa's from the rest of the mid major world? It's their quarterbacks.Had Case Keenum not been UH's QB in our game last season would they have won that ball game?

Let me tell you who made Keenum look good.....his receivers/RB's who were some of the best YAC receivers I've seen in a long time. When I watched Houston play in their bowl game before playing us, I was more impressed with their receivers/RB's and their YAC ability, than Keenams passing ability.

One of the best JUCO QB's we've ever had was Vidal Carlin (mid-60's). He had (for his time) some pretty impressive numbers for his two years here. But what padded his numbers was the fact that he would dump the ball off to John Love, and Mr. Love would get very impressive YAC's.

Right now our best YAC receivers are Bynes (#81) and Chancellor (#3). And I base this on receivers who have demonstrated an ability to break tackles after the catch, as well as make tacklers miss. If we get/develop more receivers like that this fall, our QB's will look much better.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

Remember that USM's quarterback (Austin Davis) was a 2 star as well.....oh yeah....and a WALK ON. The guy broke some of Brett Farva Bean's records in his first year. Finding a high rated QB is not necessarily the issue as much as finding one that we can coach into greatness. I also agree with Silver's assessment on the role of WRs making QBs look good. So..... GREAT O-Line + Great WR Corps = Great QB (with exception)

Well, I'm wondering why so much angst over this subject in the first place. I see UNT with a pretty decent situation at QB right now and really see no reason to panic over signing another QB. Seems UNT has some more than adequate QB's on the roster right now with several years of eligibility remaining. Now, does that mean UNT should not try to sign a quality QB to groom for the future, of course not, but I see no reason to get all bothered by the fact that Burglund is heading to JuCo-land. Still, in my opinion, plenty of time to sign another QB for the future...I am "good to go" with the current roster of QB's. I think QB is, by far, not the position of need or worry for the next couple of years. Just me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, I'm wondering why so much angst over this subject in the first place. I see UNT with a pretty decent situation at QB right now and really see no reason to panic over signing another QB. Seems UNT has some more than adequate QB's on the roster right now with several years of eligibility remaining. Now, does that mean UNT should not try to sign a quality QB to groom for the future, of course not, but I see no reason to get all bothered by the fact that Burglund is heading to JuCo-land. Still, in my opinion, plenty of time to sign another QB for the future...I am "good to go" with the current roster of QB's. I think QB is, by far, not the position of need or worry for the next couple of years. Just me.

QB is one of the weakest positions depth wise on this team. One injury to DT (who happens to be a bit injury prone), and we could be looking at 2-10 all over again. Niether of the backups have proven a thing in game conditions, with McNaulty looking pretty god awful in the chances he was given. DOes anyone really feel comfortable with little Mac or Osbourne running the show? I don't.

You need to land a QB in every class. Cooper Jones not panning out at the position really hurt and means that we haven't had a solid H.S. QB recruit come here since DT. He is now a junior.

We need 2 QBs in the next class to make up for the last several years, maybe even three.

I really hope the decision not to offer Scotty Young doesn't come back to bite us big time.

• Upvote 3

Your taking this in a different direction than I intended. I too think that Derek has some good days ahead at UNT. But Derek was not a highly regarded QB prospect. Doesn't mean he won't turn out to be one, and I hope like hell he does. I also hope that Ozzy and MiniMac improve. But it doesn't change the fact that this has been an area of challenge for us and it often can spell the difference between the top mid majors and the rest of the pack. When Dickey was in lead it was our focus on the running game. Dodge actually landed some of the higher ranked QB's I can recall (Vizza/Dodge). This staff has not closed on one yet and I hope they do. I think they will...them passing on the Denton kid tells me they believe they can reel one in and with Berglund they were close.

Well, I get where you are coming from UNT90 and I don't totally disagree, just don't see the reason for the angst. Still time to sign a QB and UNT has 4 QB's on the roster at this time...1 senior (Dodson), 2 Jrs (Thompson and Osborn) and 1 soph (McNulty). I'm good with that...and think there is plenty of time to pick up a QB for the future.

I also understand your "concerns" regarding injury (as UNT has had a bit of that with QB's in recent history), but I just don't think you go into the season "assuming" your QB goes down for any length of time with an injury.

Where I think UNT needs to concentrate the immediate on is D-Line and pass rushers and D-backs along with the O-line. Shore those up and you, even with your bum knees (UNT90), could play QB for UNT! :-)

I also understand where Harry is coming from and everyone who feels QB is a "problem area" for the Mean green. I just don't happen to agree going into the 2012-13 season. Next year...well, we'll see what happens this year and then I might feel entirely differently.

I still think Coach Mac is no body's fool when it comes to knowing what position he needs to fill on his roster, and feel it will be handled.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, I get where you are coming from UNT90 and I don't totally disagree, just don't see the reason for the angst. Still time to sign a QB and UNT has 4 QB's on the roster at this time...1 senior (Dodson), 2 Jrs (Thompson and Osborn) and 1 soph (McNulty). I'm good with that...and think there is plenty of time to pick up a QB for the future.

I also understand your "concerns" regarding injury (as UNT has had a bit of that with QB's in recent history), but I just don't think you go into the season "assuming" your QB goes down for any length of time with an injury.

Where I think UNT needs to concentrate the immediate on is D-Line and pass rushers and D-backs along with the O-line. Shore those up and you, even with your bum knees (UNT90), could play QB for UNT! :-)

I also understand where Harry is coming from and everyone who feels QB is a "problem area" for the Mean green. I just don't happen to agree going into the 2012-13 season. Next year...well, we'll see what happens this year and then I might feel entirely differently.

I still think Coach Mac is no body's fool when it comes to knowing what position he needs to fill on his roster, and feel it will be handled.

Knees were never the problem, it was a lack of any sort of arm. ;)

I just don't have any confidence in any QB other than DT. While Mac may know where the problems are located, that doesn't mean he has been able to address them through recruiting. When DT went down last year, we were forced to start a true freshman who had not been recruited by any other FBS school as a QB. That is not a good situation for this team.

I think you see us run the ball (unsuccessfully) over 30 times against LSU (40 if we have enough offensive plays), doing this to protect the only viable FBS QB on the roster. Having this lack of QB depth makes this a paycheck game, not an opportunity game.

Pretty big disappointment not to sign a QB in this class.

• Upvote 3

Well, I get where you are coming from UNT90 and I don't totally disagree, just don't see the reason for the angst. Still time to sign a QB and UNT has 4 QB's on the roster at this time...1 senior (Dodson), 2 Jrs (Thompson and Osborn) and 1 soph (McNulty). I'm good with that...and think there is plenty of time to pick up a QB for the future..

I wouldn't be scared to put Dodson in if Thompson and Osborn went down. If the O-line jells as it should, he would get decent protection and in my humble opinion he would manage things just fine. If the coaches are seriously thinking about a RS for McNulty, they should give Dodson more reps this fall in practice.

• Upvote 1

We aren't anywhere near where we need to be at QB. Numbers at the position mean absolutely nothing. While i hope he steps it up this year, DT isn't even playing at the level we need. We don't need nor can afford to have just a manager at the position. If you want to win at this level, you've got to have an exceptional QB.

You guys complaining about Keenum, look at the teams he beat during his career. I'll take a QB of his caliber any day.

• Upvote 1

We aren't anywhere near where we need to be at QB. Numbers at the position mean absolutely nothing. While i hope he steps it up this year, DT isn't even playing at the level we need. We don't need nor can afford to have just a manager at the position. If you want to win at this level, you've got to have an exceptional QB.

You guys complaining about Keenum, look at the teams he beat during his career. I'll take a QB of his caliber any day.

Did Keenum graduate? If so, maybe he can enroll and play at UNT this year. Don't worry about the extra redshirt. The NCAA will approve it out of habit.

I really hope the decision not to offer Scotty Young doesn't come back to bite us big time.

Fwiw, I ran into one of Scotty's old coaches in late May who said with 100% certainty that "Scotty's coming home". Not saying that means he's UNT bound, but he'll definitely be in the area.

Any ship that was being held for him or Berglund was given away already

I think Berglund was going to be able to come in as a Freshman. So for him to count towards the 25 maximum incoming freshman scholarship limit, we had to have an open scholarship for him. According to coach McCarney, we're way under the TOTAL allotment for the entire team due to massive attrition over the past few years, and Scotty would have come in as a Sophomore transfer. In essence, we could have picked up both of them. But I think the staff liked Berglund better and did not want to scare him away by grabbing a former area standout and Texas Player of the Year.