2012 Schedule

Mean Green Matt

How about this schedule? Two non conference games against BCS opponents but not SEC/National Champions means respectable losses. Home non conference games against LOCAL rivals, winnable games that drive interest. An open date before the pre season pick to win the conference. Home games against the better SBC teams..and to top it off a winnable bowl game! Kudos to State. My question is how can they afford to do this yet we HAVE to get a big payday and demoralizing start to the season against LSU to make things work?

09/03/11 at Illinois Fighting Illini

Memorial Stadium, Champaign, IL Lost 33-15 ---

09/10/11 Home against Memphis Tigers

ASU Stadium, Jonesboro, AR Won 47-3 ---

09/17/11 at Virginia Tech Hokies

Lane Stadium, Blacksburg, VA Lost 26-7 ---

09/24/11 Bears Central Arkansas Bears

ASU Stadium, Jonesboro, AR Won 53-24 ---

10/01/11 Hilltoppers at Western Kentucky Hilltoppers

H. Ind. - L.T. Smith Stadium, Bowling Green, KY Won 26-22 ---

10/08/11 Warhawks at ULM Warhawks

Malone Stadium, Monroe, LA Won 24-19 ---

10/15/11 --- Open Date --- ---

Tuesday 10/18/11 Golden Panthers Florida International Golden Panthers

ASU Stadium, Jonesboro, AR Won 34-16 ---

10/29/11 Mean Green North Texas Mean Green

ASU Stadium, Jonesboro, AR Won 37-14 ---

11/05/11 Owls at Florida Atlantic Owls

FAU Stadium, Boca Raton, FL Won 39-21 ---

11/12/11 Ragin' Cajuns Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns

ASU Stadium, Jonesboro, AR Won 30-21 ---

11/19/11 Blue Raiders at Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders

Johnny "Red" Floyd Stadium, Murfreesboro, TN Won 45-19 ---

11/26/11 --- Open Date --- ---

12/03/11 Trojans Troy Trojans

ASU Stadium, Jonesboro, AR Won 45-14 ---

2012 GoDaddy.com Bowl

Sunday

01/08/12 Huskies Northern Illinois Huskies

Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, AL 8:00 p.m. CT

ESPN

This topic is just flat out depressing--because there is just not much that ever gets done to help the problem. If we have to play a bodybag game because its the easiest way to pay for women's softball and the track team, then schedule anyone outside of the SEC or the Big XII big wigs. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have teams that we can at least compete with. For example, playing at Iowa in a few years is perfect. Scheduling games at Florida, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and even Texas is beyond stupid.

True dat. But scheduling with those conferences also keeps travel costs down. Hell, OU and UT are even doable by bus instead of flight. But I'm with you, is there really that big of a difference in payout by scheduling Arizona State or UCLA instead of LSU or Bama?

is there really that big of a difference in payout by scheduling Arizona State or UCLA instead of LSU or Bama?

My guess is yes, because back when Pacific, Cal St. Fullerton and Long Beach St still had football teams, their body bag games were always against the big boys of the Big 10 like Michigan or Ohio St. as opposed to the easy drive down to UCLA or USC.

My guess is yes, because back when Pacific, Cal St. Fullerton and Long Beach St still had football teams, their body bag games were always against the big boys of the Big 10 like Michigan or Ohio St. as opposed to the easy drive down to UCLA or USC.

Well, the Pac-10 schools back then could have looked at any of those Big West schools and said that they didn't get anything from playing them. Today, I guarantee if they still played football and with 35 bowl games that are available if you just 6-6, those CA schools would be the Pac-12's opponent de jour in OOC scheduling. Not to mention, that with CA's fiscal issues, those schools would probvably get more in-state games against UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, San Diego State, and Fresno State just to help with funding.

Edited by untjim1995

So, this little graphic confirms TSU, and LSU has been confirmed by Dan McCarney. By process of elimination, the SBC Schedule will be:

@ ULM

@ WKU

@ MTSU

@ FAU

USA

ULL

Troy

ASU

So that leaves the Houston and Kansas State games in doubt. I've heard nothing of the K-State game being changed, but did see somewhere (in fact it may have been posted on here) that Texas State has taken our place on the Houston schedule next year. If that is the case, there needs to be a sixth home game regardless of the cost.

So, this little graphic confirms TSU, and LSU has been confirmed by Dan McCarney. By process of elimination, the SBC Schedule will be:

@ ULM

@ WKU

@ MTSU

@ FAU

USA

ULL

Troy

ASU

So that leaves the Houston and Kansas State games in doubt. I've heard nothing of the K-State game being changed, but did see somewhere (in fact it may have been posted on here) that Texas State has taken our place on the Houston schedule next year. If that is the case, there needs to be a sixth home game regardless of the cost.

What about FIU? You projecting them in C-USA?

• Upvote 1

with usa coming into football, there will be one team that every school won't play. according to all the previous announcements about their schedule and who they play, fiu is the only one left that didn't have their nonplaying opponent 'announced', therefore, they are our game that we don't schedule for 2012.

Since USA begins as a conference foe next year (even though they cannot make a bowl or be conference champ), each team will play 8 of the 9 other teams, and the team left off our schedule appears to be FIU.

@ ULM

@ WKU

@ MTSU

@ FAU

USA

ULL

Troy

ASU

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get more depressing...if its true that we are not playing a game at Houston because we have been replaced by Texas State, then there is no more clear statement on how the more established Texas schools look at us than this scenario. We have played Houston exactly twice since we moved back up to FBS in 1995, both in Denton. We have never been given a return game in Houston. It is not hard to recognize that UH absolutely wants nothing to do with playing us if we have a shot at being good. If we win, its a shocker, but if they win, its no big deal. Now that they (UH) are about to take a step back with their program, their AD replaces us with Texas freaking State. This is exactly what Tech did when Leach got there and they stopped playing us after his first two years and started playing SMU every year, just perfectly timed to when we went to NO Bowls and SMU was doing good to win 3 games. Speaking of SMU, this is exactly what I expect them to do, too, if we get our act together again on the football field. Oh we'll play them a couple of times or more, but I doubt that series of 8 games ever gets fully played out if we are better than them. They'll buy us out early and then schedule UTSA.

The more this crap occurs to us, the more it makes me hate college football. And, yes, I totally agree that most of this is due to our own mismanagement of athletics are just accepting the status quo for decades. But it doesn't make it right that we consistently get the shaft with these other Texas schools. I will say this, though. There is another Texas school that is going to feel a huge backlash in future scheduling from the other Texas schools and that is A&M. The other Big XII schools are never going to play them again, and I doubt UH or SMU are going to jump up and down about scheduling them, either in OOC games. Basically, that leaves Texas State, UTSA, UTEP, and Rice for them to play along with us. Maybe that's who we should talk to about scheduling some OOC games with again, maybe those Aggies will appreciate someone from the state actually wanting to play them in a lot of sports. It has to better to try something like this than to just constantly get reminded that all of the other schools in the old SWC are adamantly opposed to playing you in a series or being affiliated with you in a conference. I mean, seriously, what else can we do? Just ignore them back and never schedule them in anything either? Maybe its just a deal where La Tech, Tulsa, NMSU, UTEP, UTSA, and Texas State are the regional teams that we will look forward to playing in OOC games in the future.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Maybe its just a deal where La Tech, Tulsa, NMSU, UTEP, UTSA, and Texas State are the regional teams that we will look forward to playing in OOC games in the future.

I would take that in a heartbeat. If we never play Texas or Oklahoma or LSU again that would be fine with me. It is a podunk schedule that got Lafayette 8 wins this year, and all of those games above are winnable.

I would take that in a heartbeat. If we never play Texas or Oklahoma or LSU again that would be fine with me. It is a podunk schedule that got Lafayette 8 wins this year, and all of those games above are winnable.

It would be fine with me, too, especially compared to the teams you listed. But I know those $$$ games ahve to be played, so we need to replace those three opponents with teams that we actually compete with every once in a while. Its the other Texas schools that I am talking about.

I know that many people have some grand idea of playing in a conference with UH, SMU, TCU, and Rice someday, but they all can't make it more clear how little they want to do with us. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Hell, I wouldv'e expected UTEP to stand up and politic for us to join CUSA, just to have a DFW game, but even they aren't saying a word on our behalf, at least not publically.

Edited by untjim1995

It would be fine with me, too, especially compared to the teams you listed. But I know those $$$ games ahve to be played, so we need to replace those three opponents with teams that we actually compete with every once in a while. Its the other Texas schools that I am talking about.

I know that many people have some grand idea of playing in a conference with UH, SMU, TCU, and Rice someday, but they all can't make it more clear how little they want to do with us. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Hell, I wouldv'e expected UTEP to stand up and politic for us to join CUSA, just to have a DFW game, but even they aren't saying a word on our behalf, at least not publically.

Those games don't have to be played if we fill our own stadium...screw Texas. I think we need to start the policy of only scheduling teams who will give us a return game at Apogee. If they won't, screw it, we'll play someone else.

I doubt K-State lets us out of the contract, since we MADE them come play us here last year by refusing to let them buy out (according to various internet sources.... Ya, I know.)

• Upvote 1

Here is the other thread discussing the Houston game possibly being dropped...Turns out it was in fact here on GMG.com.

No Longer @ Houston in 2012?

Since South Alabama counts as an FBS win next year, I don't care about playing both them, and Texas Southern...it also gets us out of a game against FIU...All I know is the game TBD better be at home...Anything short of 6 home games at Apogee is absurd.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2

Too bad about the UH game, as I think that's a 100% winnable game, in 2012.

It's hard to explain in words how completely irrelevant we are in the landscape of Texas college football. But we are. And it sucks. I don't even know how you fix it. New conference? Winning games? All the above?

It will ultimately be all of the above but frankly we just have to start to win games consistently. I'm even going to say that we need to kick the living snot out of our opponents within the conference like what Boise has done all these years. Run up the score and score like 50-60 points on whoever we play...it will help with some perception. Stuff like this will get noticed and as we keep improving and winning like this then we'll be able to beat the lower run BCS schools or higher rung non BCS programs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

According to Vito, NT will still play @ Houston next year. He says both NT and Houston confirmed it, which is only interesting, because Houston fans were nearly positive the game had been cancelled.

Only 5 home games in the new stadium is

100% embarrassing

Buy out of one of the freakin money games. We aren't so broke we need both of them. Give me a freakin break.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 4

Sun Belt schools with 6 home games:

1. FIU (Louisville and Akron)

2. USA (UTSA and Nicholls State)

3. ULL (Tulane and FCS)

4. Troy (Miss. State and Navy)

5. ASU (Memphis and Alcorn St.)

6. WKU (Austin Peay and Souther Miss)

Middle Tennessee is unknown, ULM plays Baylor at home with 3 road games. FAU is unknown.

That leaves NT with a home game against Texas Southern and then the Sun Belt.

• Upvote 1