2012 Schedule

Mean Green Matt

I know this season just ended, but has anyone heard anything. The schedule poster that someone posted a picture of on here says:

@ LSU

Texas Southern

@ Kansas State

@ Houston

I know at one point it was announced that South Alabama would be playing here next year, but that it was unknown whether they would take the place of another SBC team, or whether they would take the place of Texas Southern or one of the other OOC games.

I never saw anything official, but there was discussion that either NT or Houston pulled out of the game next year.

Also, it had been rumored that we were trying to get out of one of the money games to get a sixth home game...which would be embarassing if we didn't.

If USA comes to town, we need to drop Texas Southern because only one of those games would count for bowl eligibility...

It will be interesting to see what happens with LSU and Houston with the new conference realignments.

I would honestly be for dropping the LSU for a home game, as well as dropping Texas Southern for a FBS opponent. It doesn't help us by beating TSU and can only hurt us if we lost. Just look at WKU, they missed out on a bowl game because of losing at home to Indiana State.

• Upvote 2

Correct, South Alabama counts as a DIV1 win, they will be in the sun belt standings, just not eligible for the post season since they're a "Transitional" DIV1 team next year. The interesting part of it all is all sun belt schools will play 8 conference games and skip one select team to be replaced with South Alabama. Seeing as how USA will be home, that means they will replace one of FIU, UL, Troy or ASU. I am in favor of dropping LSU and getting whoever we can get at home. We need six home games, and I know some people don't like it, but Texas Southern and USA at home will be good for us next year, that's two guaranteed wins. And one of them will count as a conference win while we also get to skip one of FIU,UL,Troy or ASU. That all works out in our favor, if somehow we can get out of the LSU game, and get another winnable OOC game, we can go 2-2 in OOC, beat USA, and go a minimum of 3-4 in conference play and still be bowl eligible.

Correct, South Alabama counts as a DIV1 win, they will be in the sun belt standings, just not eligible for the post season since they're a "Transitional" DIV1 team next year. The interesting part of it all is all sun belt schools will play 8 conference games and skip one select team to be replaced with South Alabama. Seeing as how USA will be home, that means they will replace one of FIU, UL, Troy or ASU. I am in favor of dropping LSU and getting whoever we can get at home. We need six home games, and I know some people don't like it, but Texas Southern and USA at home will be good for us next year, that's two guaranteed wins. And one of them will count as a conference win while we also get to skip one of FIU,UL,Troy or ASU. That all works out in our favor, if somehow we can get out of the LSU game, and get another winnable OOC game, we can go 2-2 in OOC, beat USA, and go a minimum of 3-4 in conference play and still be bowl eligible.

There is no such thing as a "guaranteed" win (Michigan vs Appalachian State)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3-4 in the Belt gets you zero bowl invites. Look at WKU this year. A 7-1 conference record and 2nd place conference finish gets them a seat on the couch. A lot of that has to do with a bad loss to an FCS team. A lot of that has to do with the perception that the Belt is the worst conference in FBS. Finishing 6-6 with wins over 2 FCS teams (USA is FBS in name only, and bowl reps will not value that win) gets you no respect from any bowl.

Play and beat SOMEBODY. That gets you respect and gets your fans base energized. Playing and hopefully beating Texas Southern doesn't even make any local news cast, because NO ONE CARES.

I really, really, really, really, really hope we replace TSU with a winnable, respecrable home game (Think Kansas, UCF, UTEP, Texas Tech, ect...). I know it's a pipe dream, especially with most teams having their dance cards full, but a man can dream.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Echo everything, we HAVE to get rid of that LSU game. It will add nothing for the season. Replace it with a winnable game.

I know a lot of people are on two different sides on the fence in regards to this but I would like to see us play Texas State or UTSA at home (replacing Texas Southern). For a few reasons. Mainly I have a lot of friends and family who go to both schools but also that way we can put to rest doubt from anyone who thinks these programs will pass us (I would like to see us beat these schools like we did MTSU Saturday).

Dream world scenario would be to play a school like Baylor or Tech at home.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 3

I'm about 90% sure we'll replace FIU with South Al at home next year. ULL and MTSU are saying they don't play each other next year, as are Troy and ULM. ASU says they aren't playing FAU. If these are true, then by default we don't play FIU. (South Al doesn't play WKU).

Come on, Vito, you should be all over this already.

• Upvote 2

No way we start dropping body bag games until we start filling Apogee and make enough money to compensate. I keep saying that attendance matters in so many ways.

But we won't fill Apogee if we get drilled 50 - 3 the week before we have our 1st home game of the year. The casual fan , who may have interest in coming to a game , sees in the paper/tv/internet that UNT gets drilled & says " same ol unt " and decides not to attend

On the flip side , if we beat one of these body bag games the casual fan and many others will fill up Apogee

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 6

But we won't fill Apogee if we get drilled 50 - 3 the week before we have our 1st home game of the year. The casual fan who may have a interest sees in the paper/tv/internet that UNT gets drilled makes them think " same ol unt " and does not come out

On the flip side , if we beat one of these body bag games the casual fan and many others will fill up Apogee

Bingo! It's never good to start a season losing by 40 pts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hope all those wanting to drop LSU, come up with the $1m to replace the loss. It is a bad schedule as it sets but only LSU is a guarantee game, I would hope they could reschedule either the Houston or KSU games to another year, to provide for a sixth home game. I don't like playing any fc division games but almost everyone does it, and frankly it would be hard to lose to TSU.

IMO, playing teams like LSU, Alabama, OU, UT are good as they not only provide cash, but get the team exposure and are recruiting tools and frankly no one expects anything but a blow out; so a good game helps and a big loss doesn't hurt much. Also prior to DD, NT always played UT close, so those games aren't necessity going to be one sided.

As far as playing UTSM and UTSA, not for it unless they are willing to play multiple away games for one home. Obviously somthing should be done with the schedule are NT will have the worst oc schedule that I can remember.

I'm really not for continuing to play the top of the line SEC teams on a regular basis. Those games have just been too painful. We could do just about as well financially and exposure wise playing the Missouri's, Iowa's, Colorado's, Purdue's, and Arizona's of the world, and hopefully avoid that very high probability of total annihilation.

For regional reasons I'm on board with Texas, TAMU, and Okie State periodically, and even Oklahoma every decade plus or so, but the perennial monsters of the SEC are getting old. At least until we show signs of becoming at least a semi-monster ourselves.

This topic is just flat out depressing--because there is just not much that ever gets done to help the problem. If we have to play a bodybag game because its the easiest way to pay for women's softball and the track team, then schedule anyone outside of the SEC or the Big XII big wigs. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have teams that we can at least compete with. For example, playing at Iowa in a few years is perfect. Scheduling games at Florida, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and even Texas is beyond stupid.

Here's the other thing that drives me crazy about those games. If you just have to play them, then do it later in the year. Troy has almost beaten Georgia and LSU when they played them in late season OOC games. We almost beat Kansas State last year in our last game. It just gives a team like ours time to get better, which can make a bodybag game hopefully a bit more competitive, plus the other heavyweight could be dealing with injuries or turmoil that helps our chances late in the season.

We should always play two FBS regional teams every year in OOC, with one game at home and one away. For example, at UH and at home against Texas State (not Texas Southern). Then, next year, play at Texas State and at home against Tulsa or someone of that ilk. A huge get would be a home and home series with Baylor, TCU, Tech, or Houston again, but no one should hold their breath. Lousiana Tech, NMSU, UTEP, and Tulane are reasonable OOC games to schedule, too. Lastly, I would have the service academies on the schedule or a game against a MWC opponent every year, too. Its good that we have components of this schedule planned ahead, but there are still major potholes in the future schedules that really hurt the program. Love games that are schdeuled against SMU and Army in the future, but we have to do better with the other games in OOC. As a poster mentioned earlier, opening (again) at the home of the national champion and losing 50-0 doesn't help you much at all, but it really hurts when your next game is at home against Texas Southern and that is your only home game in OOC. Even if you win that next game 50-0, its against a team no one cares about and all anyone talks about is the fact that the team everyone has heard of (LSU) just beat you by 7 TDs. Its just insanity that plays itself out over and over and over...

• Upvote 1

I just happen to notice RV alma mater Southern Miss football schedule and this what our OOC needs to look like

La Tech, Southern Louisiana, Marshall, Virginia

Actually, Marshall in a CUSA game for them. And I don't like playing FCS teams, whover Southern Louisiana is (most likely SE LA).