Green Brigade

ColoradoEagle

I just wish they could wear uniforms. The it's too hot excuse doesn't work anymore

Ok, I'm tired of this...sorry UNTcrazy... but this chapps me.

I don't give a flying f what those folks are wearing... The band uniform thing is a tired conversation, and quite frankly, I've always thought band uniforms are COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY WORTHLESS AND STUPID LOOKING!

Shorts and a matching t-shirt are completely sufficient.

That was a very powerful and precise sound they have. There is no question in my mind that if there is a better marching band out there, I'd have to see it to believe it.

Go Mean Freakin Green!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1. When the Green Brigade gets themselves in position, and then puts their instruments to their mouths, and start playing, they are truly a college band without peer. However, their pre-game pagentry STILL SUCKS.

Look through these to see what I mean.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/814829-college-football-power-ranking-the-top-25-college-marching-band-pregames/page/28

My favorite, FWIW, is the the Sooner band and their pre-game grand entrance.

2. What's with the Enron-like logo on their caps? I thought they were the UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS GREEN BRIGADE? Put a UNT logo on the cap and have "Green Brigade" embroidered underneath the logo. In case you don't know, you represent the SCHOOL not yourselves. This is a long time pet peeve of mine going back to the days of Dr. Winslow and his self-indulgent (albeit very talented) bands. They came to the games to be adored by the fans, not to promote spirit for the school, and the football team. I hated Dr. Winslow for his prima donna attitude.

3. Glad to see the drum-line is back. This years version is better than last years, but are they the same guys that go off to the national drum-line contest? If not, why not? We absolutely need to be putting our best foot forward at every game.

4. Fanfare? Where is our unique North Texas fanfare? We can't come up with a WOW fanfare prior to starting the fight song? I thought we had a great music school?.. B)

5. The GB can't seem to decide if they are a military style band (pre-game and half-time entrance) or a show band (after the music starts). I would prefer that we be a show band all the way, or a military band all the way. Either get a show band grand entrance going (we now have the perfect venue to do it) or do an all military type half-time show.....to go along with the very unexciting pre-game entrance.

AGAIN, when the instruments get to their mouths, the Green Brigade is without peer amongst college bands....but their pageantry pretty much sucks!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1. When the Green Brigade gets themselves in position, and then puts their instruments to their mouths, and start playing, they are truly a college band without peer. However, their pre-game pagentry STILL SUCKS.

Look through these to see what I mean.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/814829-college-football-power-ranking-the-top-25-college-marching-band-pregames/page/28

My favorite, FWIW, is the the Sooner band and their pre-game grand entrance.

2. What's with the Enron-like logo on their caps? I thought they were the UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS GREEN BRIGADE? Put a UNT logo on the cap and have "Green Brigade" embroidered underneath the logo. In case you don't know, you represent the SCHOOL not yourselves. This is a long time pet peeve of mine going back to the days of Dr. Winslow and his self-indulgent (albeit very talented) bands. They came to the games to be adored by the fans, not to promote spirit for the school, and the football team. I hated Dr. Winslow for his prima donna attitude.

3. Glad to see the drum-line is back. This years version is better than last years, but are they the same guys that go off to the national drum-line contest? If not, why not? We absolutely need to be putting our best foot forward at every game.

4. Fanfare? Where is our unique North Texas fanfare? We can't come up with a WOW fanfare prior to starting the fight song? I thought we had a great music school?.. B)

5. The GB can't seem to decide if they are a military style band (pre-game and half-time entrance) or a show band (after the music starts). I would prefer that we be a show band all the way, or a military band all the way. Either get a show band grand entrance going (we now have the perfect venue to do it) or do an all military type half-time show.....to go along with the very unexciting pre-game entrance.

AGAIN, when the instruments get to their mouths, the Green Brigade is without peer amongst college bands....but their pageantry pretty much sucks!

I am really missing the pregame march around the field, as at Fouts, playing the fight song and "Fly Like An Eagle' (which I understand that some of you do not like).

That was a good way to get the crowd excited prior to pre-game and the game itself.

You're working really hard to find something to be mad about.

Not really. Some dude, or should I say dudes, prancing around twirling flags is ridiculous. Man up, son. Sorry if you don't agree, but I think some things should be gender specific, and one of those is flag bearers. Just my HO.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Why does every other school's band wear their uniforms in the heat? You always see UT's band in full uniform, A$M's is always in their military uniforms, SMU's is always...nevermind. Maybe we should buy from a manufacturer that can produce a cooler uniform. The t-shirts, shorts and black socks look bad.

Speaking of the male flag bearers, how ridiculous is that?

Not sure which Texas games you have been to, but they often wear the khaki shorts white shoes and ball caps.

I'm not a fan if the black socks and black shoes with shorts either, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

They sounded great. Great to see the huge number this year!

Not really. Some dude, or should I say dudes, prancing around twirling flags is ridiculous. Man up, son. Sorry if you don't agree, but I think some things should be gender specific, and one of those is flag bearers. Just my HO.

Unless you're planning to settle down and start a family with a flag bearer, I fail to see why their gender matters to you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Said it in another thread, but probably more appropriate here.

The band marches through the Red/Blue lot about an hour before the game. They go up to the concrete pathway, past the Hill, through the Circle, and past the East Gate. We happened to break camp just in time to follow the band and it was a great experience. People were joining in, and we reached the gate right at 5:30. Had our tickets scanned and reached our seats with about 10 minutes before the pre-game activities started.

Let's build this tradition. It would require our tailgaters to plan to actually come to the game on time, but it is so much better that the old Fouts Field march.

Question to GB members. Why do we not play when/while the opponent has the ball? You're on the 50 for a reason. I've noticed several times the GB stops playing when the other team gets ready to call plays or snap the ball.

I think there's an NCAA rule about playing as the play begins.

Question to GB members. Why do we not play when/while the opponent has the ball? You're on the 50 for a reason. I've noticed several times the GB stops playing when the other team gets ready to call plays or snap the ball.

It's an NCAA rule. I think the referees issue one warning and any subsequent abuse is a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

That being said, the South Florida band blasted their instruments wildly whenever North Texas had an important play in the 2001 game and never received a warning or penalty.

Probably came to the realization that, similar to football, he believed the Indiana band was better than UNT, but...

Great to put a face with a name this weekend.

Agree. I also hope I made a favorable first impression, because things sort of went hazy for me within 30-45 minutes of shaking your hand.