25 Worst College Football Experiences

MCMLXXX

Wow, Sun Belt and MAC really made up most of this poll.

It is just ones opinion but the facts don't lie.

What was UNT average this past season?

As you wrote, it's just one opinion - from the Bleacher Report from the looks of the link. Have they added spell check or grammar check over there yet?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I really, really hate to say this, but how did Fouts Field or anything related to it, escape this list?

Good news is, once the new palace opens and Coach Mac starts piling up wins, we'll never be a candidate for such lists again. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 2

If they're going strictly on attendance, I'm surprised San Jose St. didn't make the list. Between laughable attendance and severe cuts in state funding, I'd be surprised if they even have football in five years.

The only reason I can see UNT being excluded from the list would be the tailgating experience (not mentioned in any other reviews) and the retirement of Fouts. Otherwise, pretty small crowds watching miserable football. Of course, that should all change shortly. New stadium, new coach, and hopefully, a win or two every few years. To resurrect a favorite phrase from 2008, "Good things are happening for UNT!"

This must have been written by a UNT grad because compared to the other schools we should be a lock for the top 20. Not trying to bash my school, just being real. We played in one of the worst stadiums in the country and only averaged around 20,000. Plus, the team has sucked the past 5 years.

• Upvote 1

I think the only thing that got us off the hook (besides the fact that he just may not have thought of us, which is not a good thing) is the new stadium.

Otherwise, we would have been top three.

I don't think he counts the tailgating experience.

We had 11 wins over the course of five years. Considering that and Fouts being one of the five worst FBS stadiums in the country, I think our attendance has been outstanding.

If there are 4 stadiums in FBS that are worse than Fouts, that school should either plan aggresively to build a new stadium or just give it up. That said, I doubt there are 5 stadiums worse than Fouts for the fan to enjoy football. From the fact that it felt like you were sitting in Dallas watching a game because of that stupid track, to the fact that it literally looked like it could fall apart if a strong storm ever hit it, and not mention that the idea of a loud crowd was almost nil because of the openness of Fouts, I can't even fathom a stadium that was worse than Fouts. I can't even begin to imagine the joy that we are going to feel when we watch the Mean Green play in a REAL COLLEGE STADIUM!!

I think the only thing that got us off the hook (besides the fact that he just may not have thought of us, which is not a good thing) is the new stadium.

Otherwise, we would have been top three.

I don't think he counts the tailgating experience.

Not sure how we escaped the list considering FAU is building a new stadium and they are on there. Whoever reported SMU's attendance at over 20,000 needs to learn to count.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1. Ball State - MAC
  2. Akron - MAC
  3. Buffalo - MAC
  4. UAB - CUSA
  5. Rice - CUSA
  6. Western Michigan - MAC
  7. FAU - Belt
  8. Western KY - Belt
  9. Tulane - CUSA
  10. Louisiana - Belt
  11. Utah State - WAC
  12. Vandy - SEC
  13. Kent State - MAC
  14. Eastern Michigan - MAC
  15. FIU - Belt
  16. UCLA - Pac 10
  17. USC - Pac 10
  18. Central Michigan - MAC
  19. ULM - Belt
  20. San Diego State - MWC
  21. UTEP - CUSA
  22. SMU - CUSA
  23. Memphis - CUSA
  24. Washington State - Pac 10
  25. Northwestern - Big "10"

MAC - 7 schools

C-USA - 6 schools

Belt - 5 schools

Pac 10 - 3 schools

SEC, WAC, MWC, Big "10" - 1 school each

I think those of us who attended North Texas' 2009 season opener at Ball State would strongly disagree with calling that the worst college football stadium experience.

Beauty or lack thereof is often in the eye of the beholder.

On another note...I am firmly convinced that one's college football game day experience has as much to do with the individual doing the experiencing...their preconceived ideas and their personal attitude as it does with the stadium and team. I cannot recall a college game I've attended where I did not have a good time. Sure, some of those "good times" were definitely "gooder" than others, but it was college football and I was there to experience it in person along with the pre-game festivities and all that goes along with a college game.

Some may find that statement hard to believe, but think back on your game day experiences. Are your memories just about the final score, the stadium, etc.? Even the games where "my team" took a pure beating presented a game day experience that sure beats sitting at home and not attending. Besides, a few post-game beers can help take away the pain of any loss. Really, think about it. It's college football, co-eds, beer, tailgate food, friends, family, pageantry, beer, co-eds, college football, beer........

• Upvote 1

Beauty or lack thereof is often in the eye of the beholder.

On another note...I am firmly convinced that one's college football game day experience has as much to do with the individual doing the experiencing...their preconceived ideas and their personal attitude as it does with the stadium and team. I cannot recall a college game I've attended where I did not have a good time. Sure, some of those "good times" were definitely "gooder" than others, but it was college football and I was there to experience it in person along with the pre-game festivities and all that goes along with a college game.

Some may find that statement hard to believe, but think back on your game day experiences. Are your memories just about the final score, the stadium, etc.? Even the games where "my team" took a pure beating presented a game day experience that sure beats sitting at home and not attending. Besides, a few post-game beers can help take away the pain of any loss. Really, think about it. It's college football, co-eds, beer, tailgate food, friends, family, pageantry, beer, co-eds, college football, beer........

There is not enough of this at North Texas games.....if at all. We don't have an organized North Texas chant/cheer, and we don't have any real pre-game and game time pagentry that other schools take for granted. And the irony (and maddeningly so) of that is that we have one of the best schools of music in the southwest and SHOULD have pagentry without peer.

• Upvote 1

Notice no Big 12 teams made the list. Not surprising, really. While the Big 12 may often be overrated on the field, most of their stadiums and off-field game-day experiences are not. I've been to many different Big 12 stadiums (often as a timid green lamb to the slaughter) and I think their game-day atmospheres are generally among the best in the nation, this side of the SEC (lone exception Baylor). Having never set foot in Kansas nor Iowa, I can't offer an opinion on those schools.

Other Texas schools not named UNT that I've enjoyed include UH- which has really raised the tailgating bar the last few years- and Texas State.

• Upvote 1

There is not enough of this at North Texas games.....if at all. We don't have an organized North Texas chant/cheer, and we don't have any real pre-game and game time pagentry that other schools take for granted. And the irony (and maddeningly so) of that is that we have one of the best schools of music in the southwest and SHOULD have pagentry without peer.

Im hoping that the new stadium will foster more pagentry from everyone involved (Students, alumni, fans, band, team, etc.) Tailgating changed the game at UNT for the fans outside the stadium--now lets work on getting better EVERYWHERE in the stadium, from the field to the stands!!

Again, back to Ball State. The "NORTH! . . . TEXAS! . . ." cheer could easily be improved with just a few tweaks. Some people yell "North!" others yell "Texas!" and nobody is really sure which they are supposed to yell. At Ball State, one entire side of the stadium yells "Ball!" then the other entire side yells "State!" It gives a pretty cool stereo effect that our hodgepodge lacks. I've seen other schools do it that way, but Ball State's was particularly impressive. And, of course, we need to find a better way to end the cheer.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

My problem with this guy's list is that his facts are incorrect or he just omits the obvious. Rice has small crowds because they jave tiny enrollment, but other than watching NT play the worst game I can ever remember, the atmosphere was fine.

SMU isn't going to celebrate players that earned them the death penalty and he included inaccurate attendance figures for a number of venues.

If there are 4 stadiums in FBS that are worse than Fouts, that school should either plan aggresively to build a new stadium or just give it up. That said, I doubt there are 5 stadiums worse than Fouts for the fan to enjoy football. From the fact that it felt like you were sitting in Dallas watching a game because of that stupid track, to the fact that it literally looked like it could fall apart if a strong storm ever hit it, and not mention that the idea of a loud crowd was almost nil because of the openness of Fouts, I can't even fathom a stadium that was worse than Fouts. I can't even begin to imagine the joy that we are going to feel when we watch the Mean Green play in a REAL COLLEGE STADIUM!!

Amen brotha!! I get the sense that the first game in the new stadium will let us all be kids again on Christmas morning. I am so looking forward to that day! GMG!

Amen brotha!! I get the sense that the first game in the new stadium will let us all be kids again on Christmas morning. I am so looking forward to that day! GMG!

Ditto, I just wish we could open the stadium for a concert or event to work the bugs out before football season. I KNOW the day after the first game there will be people bitching about the parking, the traffic flow, waiting for the elevators or concessions, etc.

People need to realize parking is going to be different and they may have to walk. There isn't much parking by the stadium and what there is will be reserved. You watch, people are going to expect to be able to drive up to the stadium and park there only to be redirected accross the highway. I can hear the bitching now.