Hated Rivals

Yellow Snow

I have a quick question for you folks...

Who would you guys consider your biggest conference rival? Being the only team from Texas in the conference you don't have an obvious "team to hate". Everybody has to have some team they like to kick in the junk extra hard.

For obvious reasons I think the Iowa Hawkeyes need to go down in flames everytime they play a sporting event.

On that note and for the record.. Hayden Fry is the devil to most Iowa State fans :D He took the Hawks from 20 losing seasons in a row and being the 2nd team in the state behind ISU to national prominence. Don't much care for that guy... lol

He got Iowa winning while Iowa State went from having Johnny Majors and Earl Bruce as coaches to Donnie freakin' Duncan and Jim Walden. We sucked for the next 20 years (until Dan Mac)... and are still trying to catch up. Dan McCarney beat Hayden's Iowa team in Iowa City the last year Fry was coaching there and went on to win 4 more in a row over Iowa... He has a winning record against Kirk Ferentz and Iowa doesn't suck. He'll get your guys to play ball against anybody...

The Kansas Jayhawks are probably next in line for me. In basketball I-State and Kansas have had some real doozies. The only other team to win the Big 12 conference basketball championship outright more than I-State is Kansas.

Anywhoo... Who do y'all hate?

GMG!!! and Go 'Clones!!!!

• Upvote 3

Another reason the Belt just sucks for us , no true rivals. I could see us developing a nice rivalry with schools like La Tech , NMSU or even a Texas State if we ever got in the same conference as one of those schools. If by some miracle we ever got into C-USA then SMU would quickly be our #1 rival ( we all hate the ponies now , but it would be official if in the same conference)

Another reason the Belt just sucks for us , no true rivals. I could see us developing a nice rivalry with schools like La Tech , NMSU or even a Texas State if we ever got in the same conference as one of those schools. If by some miracle we ever got into C-USA then SMU would quickly be our #1 rival ( we all hate the ponies now , but it would be official if in the same conference)

We might be in a similar situation in the near future. With Iowa in the non-con every year that makes for a brutal schedule. Nine Big 12 teams plus Iowa. There is talk of dropping the Iowa/I-State series... hope it doesn't happen, but could see why it would. This year we played 6 teams that were ranked in the top 10 at one point during the year plus Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, and K-State... yeesh...

• Upvote 3

read this board long enough and you'll be convinced that we have several hated rivals: smu, UT, The Dallas Morning News, Southlake Carroll High School, The Green Brigade, UNT-Dallas, EA Sports, the city of Denton, local sporting good retailers, rivals.com, Ramon Flanigan, Daddy Dumpsalot...

unfortunately, no hatred towards our conference opponents.

This is a great post... I can relate...

Cyclone fans hate the Des Moines Register, white helmets, the script cyclones logo, the birdnado logo, the I-State logo, red pants, white pants, gold pants, night games, day games, 11 am games, the Big 12 tv deal, fans who stand all game, fans who sit all game, etc... awesome stuff...

• Upvote 7

This is a great post... I can relate...

Cyclone fans hate the Des Moines Register, white helmets, the script cyclones logo, the birdnado logo, the I-State logo, red pants, white pants, gold pants, night games, day games, 11 am games, the Big 12 tv deal, fans who stand all game, fans who sit all game, etc... awesome stuff...

Year in and year out, we really hate SMU. But since we don't play them on a regular basis (their choice not ours) you couldn't really call it a rivalry.

Back in the 60's when we were in the Missouri Valley Conference, we had a rivalry with Tulsa.

FFR already covered our rivals during our days in 1-AA purgatory.

We've had an on and off rivalry with New Mexico State. Currently I guess you could call Middle Tennessee and U La La our current rivals....but we don't really hate them. Actually we like U La La....those people know how to party.

I have makeshift hate of TCU and SMU cuz why not? They're private schools so there is always that, they don't play us so we can pretend they are ducking us (SMOO did split a football series with us, however), they are the schools of record of their respective cities as UNT is of Denton, they are close.

Honorable mention: UT-Arlington because of basketball.

Why its hard to hate on SBC schools: They are in the same miserable boat we are in and it really is just mean to wish ill on any one of them.

I have a quick question for you folks...

Who would you guys consider your biggest conference rival? Being the only team from Texas in the conference you don't have an obvious "team to hate". Everybody has to have some team they like to kick in the junk extra hard.

For obvious reasons I think the Iowa Hawkeyes need to go down in flames everytime they play a sporting event.

On that note and for the record.. Hayden Fry is the devil to most Iowa State fans :D He took the Hawks from 20 losing seasons in a row and being the 2nd team in the state behind ISU to national prominence. Don't much care for that guy... lol

He got Iowa winning while Iowa State went from having Johnny Majors and Earl Bruce as coaches to Donnie freakin' Duncan and Jim Walden. We sucked for the next 20 years (until Dan Mac)... and are still trying to catch up. Dan McCarney beat Hayden's Iowa team in Iowa City the last year Fry was coaching there and went on to win 4 more in a row over Iowa... He has a winning record against Kirk Ferentz and Iowa doesn't suck. He'll get your guys to play ball against anybody...

The Kansas Jayhawks are probably next in line for me. In basketball I-State and Kansas have had some real doozies. The only other team to win the Big 12 conference basketball championship outright more than I-State is Kansas.

Anywhoo... Who do y'all hate?

GMG!!! and Go 'Clones!!!!

It sucks not having a real rival in conference, eventhough I would say there is some blood with some teams like WKU and Troy, which is more of a basketball thing. But to be a true lover of the Mean Green you have to hate the school 30 miles south of Denton on the Hilltop, SMU!!!! One of my best friends is an SMU guy and Im tired of hearing his crap the last few seasons, ready for Coach Mac to change all that.

Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 2

I have makeshift hate of TCU and SMU cuz why not? They're private schools so there is always that, they don't play us so we can pretend they are ducking us (SMOO did split a football series with us, however), they are the schools of record of their respective cities as UNT is of Denton, they are close.

Honorable mention: UT-Arlington because of basketball.

Why its hard to hate on SBC schools: They are in the same miserable boat we are in and it really is just mean to wish ill on any one of them.

I would agree with that, UTA and UNT is the best basketball rival, im hope that we development more of a rivalry with WKU, thats if the Belt stops making us go play there every year.