Time To Get On The Record

NT80

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is always darkest before dawn, my friends/fellow sufferors. There are several signs that things will be better in critical areas but no solid evidence/performance to back it up YET. This program has been snakebit on and off the field for a couple of years and I FEEL that this is the year some things turn in our favor.

I had green milk on my shredded wheat this morning, so I'm going to boldly (BOLDLY) predict 5 wins against 7 losses. Anything less will be really disappointing.

Nope....way too early. I refuse!

Last year at this time we hadn't even lost Gilmore and Horton.....or a couple other Jucos.

That said, I think it'll be another tough season after what I saw at the spring game. This team just lacks a certain intensity that you'd like to see out of a D1 football team. If they can somehow find it over the summer and during fall camp, then we might have a chance at turning it around.

The key to me is our first two games. Ball State is rebuilding (on offense) with a new QB and an inexperienced O line. Then we have Ohio at home.

We can definitely go 1-1 in those games....possibly 2-0.

But, if we go 0-2....that's gonna set a tone for the season...and I'm not sure we'd recover from that. In other words, our kids need some confidence. If we start out slow...I think the reminders of the previous two seasons would be enough to kill us.

So....I can see us going anywhere from 2-10 to 7-5.

But since I think this will be a turnaround season I'll be optimistic and say 7-5.

Edited by SUMG

Predictions for the 09 season? My crystal ball is not working, and neither is my bowling ball.

There are some intangibles worth considering when making a bold prediction, like

Riley Dodge, Tyler Stradford, Tevinn Cantly, Kelvin Drake, Jeremy Phillips, Coach Nelson,

year 2 for DC Gary DeLoach, Coach Gandy's special teams, new JUCO's this fall.

Schedule- 6 home games! Sweet! Sweet! Sweet! Sweet! Sweet! Sweet!

09/03: @ Ball State. The book says NT has no chance. First game jitters? Personell changes

for both teams. I would call a "toss up" but that means a loss for NT. Close but not enough.

09/12: Ohio comes to town, home opener, good crowd. Good match up for NT? Ohio has

been middle of the pack in the MAC for 4yrs. NT wins a home opener! Barely though.

09/19: @ Ala-damn-Bama. In T-town. There is always a chance, but no chance here, loss.

09/26: MTSU, always the darlings of the SBC, new OC guru, returning players. If there

ever will be a NT upset game, this is it. NT wins by 1.

10/10 @ U La la or Louisana? The big LaLa guns are gone! NT wins on the road!

10/17: FAU comes to town. Alot of player changes at FAU, only problem is Rusty Smith

is not one of the changes, nor is old Snelly! Loss for NT but a better showing.

10/24: @ Troy. Too much for NT to handle. Maybe a better showing? No. Loss, yes.

10/31: WKU. Fun game, back and forth, NT wins in another close fashion.

11/07:ULM. Two Home games in a row! NT keeps the win streak alive!

11/14: @ FIU. TY Hilton has not declared for the NFL draft-yet. Loss.

11/21: Army has been on hard times, new triple option, not enough, NT wins.

11/28: Ark St, another yearly SBC contender. NT played close LY but lost in the

final seconds. This game is a repete of last year. Another NT heart breaking loss

in the final seconds to Ark St!

Final prediction, 6-6

Corrected the W/L count.

I still believe 7-5 could happen.

Edited by charlie nt73

Wow, I cannot contain myself with the optimism that I am reading on this thread! The "things are getting better" folks seem to far outweigh to "doom and gloom" folks. Even a few pseudo-doom and gloomers have predicted a "non-disaster". Way to go folks. I do think some are a bit over optimistic, but I am down with that...much better than the doom and gloom. My crystal ball is always positive when it comes to the Mean Green (does that surprise anyone?), but still I think 7-5 is a bit of a stretch...so I'll say 7-5! What's wrong with a bit of a stretch anyway? It's early and everyone can think happy thoughts...well, some people can't, but most of us can from time to time.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!

I am one who thought that 2008 would be better than 2007. Oops..... I have learned my lesson. I think we will be 2-10 again this year. I am just not sure where the two wins will come from. Until we have a kick ass, take no prisoners type of defense like Brandon Kennedy and that bunch we will not be in the running for a conference championship. I do not see that happening this year.

I predicted 5-7. It might be a little on the optimistic side, but it seems possible. Going 2-2 OOC is a definite possibility--beating Ohio and Army are certainly not a given, but possible. If we can do that, I think we can muster up three wins easily between the Louisiana schools, WKU, ASU, and FIU.

ok, SUMG. I gotta ask. How do you see us winning these games?

We have a new qb and an average at best O line.

They started out 12-0? last year before losing two games. Sure they are rebuilding a bit from last year but we lost 11 games last year. I just don't see that big of a turnaround happening. Ball State is a good team and we have been terrible on the road.

I don't think there is any way i could predict us winning that game. And the Ohio game is almost as scary.

We beat Army and two sun belt opponents to finish 3-9.

The key to me is our first two games. Ball State is rebuilding (on offense) with a new QB and an inexperienced O line. Then we have Ohio at home.

We can definitely go 1-1 in those games....possibly 2-0.

But, if we go 0-2....that's gonna set a tone for the season...and I'm not sure we'd recover from that. In other words, our kids need some confidence. If we start out slow...I think the reminders of the previous two seasons would be enough to kill us.

So....I can see us going anywhere from 2-10 to 7-5.

But since I think this will be a turnaround season I'll be optimistic and say 7-5.

Edited by meanrob

Wow, I cannot contain myself with the optimism that I am reading on this thread! The "things are getting better" folks seem to far outweigh to "doom and gloom" folks. Even a few pseudo-doom and gloomers have predicted a "non-disaster". Way to go folks. I do think some are a bit over optimistic, but I am down with that...much better than the doom and gloom. My crystal ball is always positive when it comes to the Mean Green (does that surprise anyone?), but still I think 7-5 is a bit of a stretch...so I'll say 7-5! What's wrong with a bit of a stretch anyway? It's early and everyone can think happy thoughts...well, some people can't, but most of us can from time to time.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!

You know, if I hadn't seen you with my own eyes, I'd swear that you were PMG with a new screen name......and a new commitment to brevity. B)

Since I have never personally seen a UNT win, it is somewhat difficult for me to envision that such a thing exists. I'm more interested in seeing if there's an increase or decrease in the number of SLC letterman jackets I see milling around the concessions this year.

OK. Things that HAVE to be better:

The defense, by definition has to be better.

The strength of the linemen with this new strength and conditioning coach that has all the players angry and sore.

Still not sold on:

The spread offense. Fine, I'm no college football genius. Hell, I'm no high school football genius, but to my untrained eye, this spread offense still looks eerily similar to the ole' schoolyard days when we would get in the huddle and the QB would say, "OK. Everybody go long, I'll throw it as hard as I can." The more I read about the spread, the more it seems to me to be a great tool as part of an overall system, not the end all be all to sports as we know it.

Adaptability. This still isn't high school, and those schemes still aren't working.

I predict a win over Army simply because it's at home and they are historically pretty poor over the past several decades. New coach up there, so a new system for already undersized players to learn.

Other than than, I hope to see all defensive efforts on the southern side of 50 -- preferably for the entire four quarters.

Guest GrayEagleOne

My first thought is 4-8; 5-7 if Stradford is cleared to play.

The offense, even with its total shotgun formation, has been good enough to win four or five games each year. Defense and special teams have not only been ineffective but have allowed poor field position, further hampering the offense. And Rob, this line is well above average, at least for the SBC. The quarterback has played for a number of years under the present coach. No worries there.

I'm basing this optimism primarily on DeLoach's 2nd year, Mike Nelson, Shelton Gandy, Aaron Ausmus, defensive line JCs, better team comraderie, more team speed and being deeper into the learning curve for the coaching staff. I might even throw in Chrisitian Davidson's return; that should be good for a few points.

It is the 'Belt, so I agree with SUMG, if things click early then 5 wins are not out of the question. You can get those in the 'Belt even though it is getting more competitive. Add the one or two OOC wins if they click early and 7-5 is possible. Reports indicate the offensive line is much improved and if we get Stradford eligible and Riley is even remotely competent, could be favorable. Vizza did have a great freshman year, maybe Riley will duplicate that.

But, I gotta see it to believe it. Still too many questions and I just can not drink the kool-aid. I'd be happy with 6-6. No, make that ecstatic. I say we can go anywhere from 5-7 to 7-5 and if not 5-7, things at the top might be changing.

I hope this is the year Dodgeball arrives and the last two years were just a bad dream.