New Coach = New Uniforms?

mdmeangreen

whitenthelmet.jpg

Why do we always want someone elses identity? :thumbdown:

Do we want to be Southlake Carrol that bad or is it Virginia Tech????? <_<

We are the University of North Texas, and for those of you who've forgotten, we have established our Official Logo, Wordmarks, Spirit Marks, etc. Those are the only logo's that should even be considered if the University decides to change.

Also, with a nickname like the Mean Green, it would be best if our helmets STAY GREEN.

B)

Edited by Got5onIt

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are the University of North Texas, and for those of you who've forgotten, we have established our Official Logo, Wordmarks, Spirit Marks, etc. Those are the only logo's that should even be considered if the University decides to change.

Also, with a nickname like the Mean Green, it would be best if our helmets STAY GREEN.

B)

Because the current helmets look like crap. We can do a whole lot better.

B)

im with you all the way... give our stuff some time people. i think our logo and jerseys are fine just the way they are. why are we acting as if we even have a say in this decision anyway? its totally up to rick and TD as to if they are going to change anything, and after we JUST changed everything, i doubt that they are ready to do it again. learn to love it!!!

sowhelmet.jpg

Zeke is on the right track. Eagle too big for helmet in this example. But, Eagle on helmet is way to go!! Really want to see us move more toward Eagle references as opposed to saying we are a mean color. Again, if not mistaken, that reference came from Joe Greene days. Those days also gone. If oldtimers cannot let go then let's use the "mean green EAGLES". Eagle as a mascot is a great one. Eagle represents: speed, courage, fierce hunter etc.! There are plenty of lame mascots such as: badgers, cardinals, zips, ducks, horny frogs, and on and on. I think we should be proud of Eagle and emphasize vs minimize. Anybody agree?

PS. I am newcomer to Eagle Nation so am not bliinded by the trees. Feel like I am looking at the entire forest.

Zeke is on the right track. Eagle too big for helmet in this example. But, Eagle on helmet is way to go!! Really want to see us move more toward Eagle references as opposed to saying we are a mean color. Again, if not mistaken, that reference came from Joe Greene days. Those days also gone. If oldtimers cannot let go then let's use the "mean green EAGLES". Eagle as a mascot is a great one. Eagle represents: speed, courage, fierce hunter etc.! There are plenty of lame mascots such as: badgers, cardinals, zips, ducks, horny frogs, and on and on. I think we should be proud of Eagle and emphasize vs minimize. Anybody agree?

PS. I am newcomer to Eagle Nation so am not bliinded by the trees. Feel like I am looking at the entire forest.

We are the Mean Green and our mascot is the Eagle.

Similar to the Alabama Crimson Tide with a mascot of an elephant.

Personally, I love the swooping eagle but would prefer "North Texas" or some form of "NT" on the helmet. Th swooping Eagle i too confusing, IMO.

The Tide do not have an elephant on any of their athletic unifroms. We should do the same.

Please don't associate my name or my proposed helmet with us being the Eagles. We are NOT. We are the Mean Green. We have an eagle for a mascot named Scrappy. We have a logo that is an eagle. We are the Mean Green. This is easy.

We need to be marketable, and Mean Green is exactly that. Eagles are not.

I agree with Got5 that a swooping Eagle on the helmet is confusing to those that still think we are the Eagles. We are the Mean Green!!

Edited by Zeke

Please don't associate my name or my proposed helmet with us being the Eagles. We are NOT. We are the Mean Green. We have an eagle for a mascot named Scrappy. We have a logo that is an eagle. We are the Mean Green. This is easy.

We need to be marketable, and Mean Green is exactly that. Eagles are not.

Zeke is right. If we want to market as the Eagles we have to fight Philly, BC, and even to an extent USM. Mean Green is original like it or not. Imagine if Alabama had tried to market themselves as the elephants...

I would be willing to bet that TD and RV will see to it that we are sporting something new. Yes, we'll have the correct font and wordmarks, but they WILL make a change. What new regime wants to sport the same unis of two losing seasons?

Exactly, Deep Green...especially with your "what new regime wants to sport the same unis of two losing seasons" part of your post.

We should want nothing that reminds us of the last 2 years (and to be more specific) the last 3 weeks of this last football season which also included our school's team wearing solid black unis that apparently came from a Motts 5 and 10 store. :huh:

I think these posts and threads on "how we look in our football unis" are extremely healthy because its all about image and we all want our school to have the right image, now don't we? Yes, I agree....... :blink:

We should want nothing that reminds us of the last 2 years (and to be more specific) the last 3 weeks of this last football season which also included our school's team wearing solid black unis that apparently came from a Motts 5 and 10 store. :huh:

Come on, Plumm....the "five-and-dime" is now a "dollar store". Try and keep up ! :P

On logos, i see nothing wrong with the white SoW eagle on a green shell. Can do without the white center stripe, though.

The Exes-style logo could be improved, IMO, by emphasizing the N versus the T (currently, the T is larger). While the N is depicted in the foreground, it is dominated by the T in the logo, and thus the "T-N" remarks. A logo like that that had a foreground N larger than the background T would be great. It would be more horizontal than vertical, but that would look good on a helmet.

and have a

Merry Christmas

Happy Hanukkah

Krazy Kwanzaa

Freaky Festivus

Rousing Ramadan

Similar to the Alabama Crimson Tide with a mascot of an elephant.

Personally, I love the swooping eagle but would prefer "North Texas" or some form of "NT" on the helmet. Th swooping Eagle i too confusing, IMO.

The Tide do not have an elephant on any of their athletic unifroms. We should do the same.

How is a fierce looking Eagle confusing? Alabama is a good example of what NOT to do. Ugly unis, ugly helmets, confusing name/mascot reference. If we are being compared to them then that is not a positive situation (excluding tradition and Wins). That is my point! I would like to see us be very simple, clear and to the point ie. Texas Longhorns, Texas Tech Red Raiders, Baylor Bears, SMU Mustangs. I'm sure that my thoughts on this subject are over reaction. Will stick to my guns however and say that we should be "UNT Eagles". If we have to hold onto the "Mean Green" then lets be the "Mean Green Eagles". Just the "Mean Green" is weak. If you were to poll 100 outsiders that are long time, avid college FB fans, I feel my thoughts would be supported.

Finally, our school name is one of the "directional" varieties. That in itself brands us as a second class citizen in the D-1 FB world. Ever notice how the top tier teams schedule all of the directional schools for easy non-conference wins. If we present a clear, firm, non-confusing mascot of strength, good looking unis and then put a good Team on the field, we can break out of this stereotype. At the present time, we firmly fit all three characteristics. I know the Team part is about to change. It would be nice to change the other two while we are at it!!!

Edited by football fan

At the end of the day, we all want the same result. A Winning FB Team. All of us "armchair qbs/coaches" can debate uni/helmet look issues til we are blue in the face (i'm close). I think TD, the Team and RV should be the final say if changes to be made. I am going to show up and support the kids even if they are wearing pink! Go MGEagles!!!

How so? How many colleges have an Eagle as their mascot. Easily hundreds between D-1, AA and AAA. Not to mention HS. To my knowledge, there is not another UNT Eagles version. No copyright issues that I can see.

There are hundred's and hundred's of "Eagles," but only one "Mean Green." That is why we are marketing most of the sports teams as the "Mean Green," because "Eagles" is not even slightly unique.

The idea is to stand out, not just blend in!

Finally, our school name is one of the "directional" varieties. That in itself brands us as a second class citizen in the D-1 FB world. Ever notice how the top tier teams schedule all of the directional schools for easy non-conference wins.

Yeah, if I'm AD at XYZ State University, I'm definitely scheduling the University of Southern California, West Virginia and South Carolina so my football teams can have easy victories. Yes, I know two of those schools share their state name, but they're still directional. I've seen this stupid argument over and over...and it's just that...stupid. What's the excuse for schools like Kentucky, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Kansas, etc. etc.??

I really can't believe the longevity of this thread. With all of the multiple variations of designs for helmets and ideas for uniforms,

it seems to me that the majority of the posts come from fashion designers. Give it up. Let the powers that be decide. Please end this

thread now.

What's the excuse for schools like Kentucky, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Kansas, etc. etc.??

I'm no expert - but maybe your list shouldn't be composed of mostly bowl teams... I see your point though.

I have heard from a reliable source that we will be implementing the new colors and designs this season on our football unis, much like the basketball team has done. The new basketball uniforms are very nice looking.

Good. I like the new basketball unis. New coach and new uniforms...if we only had a new stadium and new conference to go along with them we would be set! :D