BREAKING: Jason Edwards to enter transfer portal

I was calling this halfway through the season. I like Jason and he is a baller, but something felt off. Dont know what it was, but I sensed that he maybe wasn't fully bought in? Oh well time to pick up another stud JUCO guard.

Screenshot_20240327_143130_X.jpg.6c2a61911c98b1e0f5601bea5062d92c.jpg

Edited by Jdawg48
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I am grateful for him keeping us in games. But I’d like a true closer all the same.  Let’s just hope the team he joins doesn’t need to rely on him for any last second shots. Be sure they ain’t fallin.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jdawg48 said:

I was calling this halfway through the season. I like Jason and he is a baller, but something felt off. Dont know what it was, but I sensed that he maybe wasn't fully bought in? Oh well time to pick up another stud JUCO guard.

Screenshot_20240327_143130_X.jpg.6c2a61911c98b1e0f5601bea5062d92c.jpg

Maybe this means Ruben is coming back. I never felt like they were ever comfortable playing together. Hate to lose his scoring but he also had to have a lot of shots to get those points. Not very efficient. He also struggled in late game situations. Good luck to him and I trust Hodge to get a quality replacement!

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, untbowler said:

If he is graduating with a degree from UNT best of luck. 

If he is leaving for greener pastures without a degree, I hope it turns brown and he falls flat on his face

He was a JUCO guy last year, and only played here 1 year, so unless he had a huge classload (20+hrs/semester) plus maymester & summer classes... I highly doubt this.

I bet he finds his way to a SEC or ACC school though.    Best of luck to him.   Leaves a scoring void though.

Get on the phone with Ivy-Curry!  He would be an excellent addition to the line of explosive JUCO players we've had over the past 5 years!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Good kid and a scorer, but a defensive liability and cannot play the point.  He couldn’t win games like Tylor could and he is small.  I do appreciate what he did here and wish him well.

He's a 1st team All AAC, he wasn't playing in CUSA....he was playing in a much tougher league out of JUCO 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Good kid and a scorer, but a defensive liability and cannot play the point.  He couldn’t win games like Tylor could and he is small.  I do appreciate what he did here and wish him well.

Pointing out his liabilities is not really warranted, as we'd all be thrilled if he returned. 
It's not really fair to compare him to Perry either.  They had different strengths, and Perry was here for 2 years & improved from year 1 to year 2.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Pointing out his liabilities is not really warranted, as we'd all be thrilled if he returned. 
It's not really fair to compare him to Perry either.  They had different strengths, and Perry was here for 2 years & improved from year 1 to year 2.

eh. to a reduced role, for sure. to come back as the clear number 1 and "leader"...that's the recipe for another middle of the pack season, IMO.

we're in an era where scholarship availability is basically as valuable as scholarship players. this is a great opportunity. 

plus, we probably ditch that weird kid poster from Virginia too. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cooley said:

I don't know why we keep ripping guys that contributed from day 1. There's a very good chance that this team would not have achieved what it did without Jason Edwards. If he was the complete package when he came here he wouldn't have came here. Again, this fanbase/board needs to come to grips with the age of NIL and the transfer portal. We love our guys until they leave.     

He played uninspired defense. I don't care about his 20 points on 20 shots. Replace him with a junkyard dawg. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Volume shooter to get his points. Poor ball handler and questionable decision maker in crunch time situations.  Liability on defense. Not clutch offensively like Perry or Hamlet. 

So tell me this, a guy jumps from Juco to AAC, plays majority of games without two starters. Had to take on the point guard role and it wasn't good enough? 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1