Tulane (1/6/2024)

7 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I know it's Winter Break but come on, 45k students... Are there only 30 that live near Denton? Aren't y'all tired of your parents after three weeks??

Student turnout was absolutely embarrassing. The fraternities and sororities especially should be ashamed of themselves. What are these kids doing? College basketball is fun and we have a damn good team. The students need to get their shizz together and support this team.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 2

Have we tried offering a cash reward to the fraternity that gets the rowdiest at a game or all games? Because I am willing to donate towards something like that. 
These dumb kids don’t even know what they are missing. College basketball is so fun, especially as a student. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Last thought - Are we gonna read another opponent fan board thread wondering why such a prolific offense had an “off game”. 😂😂 Holding a team like this to under 60 is a fantastic defensive performance.

Great win. Fun day at the Pit. GMG!

I love this more than anything. Seeing teams like WSU lose their minds with the game tells me their high basketball IQ fans really aren’t. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

They're attempting to keep the energy up the same way any NBA game would with high tempo, upbeat, and hopefully (but less today) current music.  If youve been to a Mavs game in the last two decades it's totally the same.

Honestly tonight, vs the LSUS game, the music energy regressed. I made a comment earlier in the thread and got some down votes, but we regressed back to more hits of the 1970's.  I'm sorry, but YMCA isn't going to hype anyone born after 1990.  At LSUS, the DJ by the Free Frosty sign was getting into it and the energy was good.  I know we had a smaller band that game, so maybe they gave him more free reign to play current upbeat music. Today it was average at best, but at least not entirely quiet like it has been at some games in previous seasons.  All teams are doing this, it's part of making your arena a challenging place to play.  Schools are pumping in music, crowd noise, sound effects, etc.  Go read the thread on Sicem365 about the new Baylor basketball arena.  People were measuring 120db or more during the first game there.

If you want a nice quiet game to listen to the announcers, subscribe to ESPN+ and sit at home.  You can always bring noise cancelling headphones or earbuds and listen to the feed in a headset at the game. That's not unheard of. 

So be it.  If that draws more people in to watch and they love it, then so be it.  

Side note: Can you or anyone explain to me the game with the dice and then the halftime game where there were 25 pairs of shoes in the center court and the kids ran to put them on?  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Obviously Edwards’ 37 points was the main story, but a couple other tidbits of note.  

- Aaron Scott had a double-double, the only one in the game

- Robert Allen led the team in assists

- Tulane’s Kevin Cross averages 16.8 a game…and had 9 today

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Student turnout was absolutely embarrassing. The fraternities and sororities especially should be ashamed of themselves. What are these kids doing? College basketball is fun and we have a damn good team. The students need to get their shizz together and support this team.

Do you really think this kind of post serves any useful purpose?  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I’m not a fan of how Tulane carried themselves today… especially the horse*}%# foul to foul out 25 I believe that one pissed me off.  They all played tremendously well.  It was obvious we were hurting without Rueben to handle the pressure but let’s get him healthy and rock and roll

Man, I didn't know if I was overreacting but it seemed there were some unnecessarily hard intentional fouls at the end of the game. I know they were needing to get NT to the foul line so they could get the ball back and try climbing back in but the full body checking was uncalled for.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

To be honest, I'm tired of blaming students for our attendance issues.  There are 300k plus alumni (w/family even more) in the DFW area!  Students should be complaining about not having enough seats available for them not us relying on them to fill an arena!

Edited by GMoney
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I mean, it’s not like any posts on this forum are saving the rain forest or stopping human trafficking. 

But I watched a lot of college basketball this weekend and other schools have full stands and aren’t making the excuse that school isn’t in session. 

Most of these kids live in DFW anyway. And plenty of them are still in Denton.

I drove over an hour to be there. I give my money and time to support this program and I believe the student support should be a lot better than it was yesterday. 

First, you are not wrong about the students…the VAST majority of our student body lives within 45 minutes of campus.  

But I would ask you to consider a few things.  

1) Our students are not “normal”.  I have long felt that being a school where the main majors are music, elementary ed, and other VERY liberal arts isn’t a recipe for having a bunch of sports fans.  Hell, we even have a recruiting commercial for the University where the theme is “we’re not normal.”  

2) With the success this team has had,  the portions of the pit that aren’t student sections are even more conspicuously empty.  Where were the promotions to celebrate the first ever AAC game at the pit?   Why haven’t I heard of a “pack the pit” night on January 25th yet…SMU is coming to our house and there should be NO trouble selling why we need a hostile atmosphere.  

Somehow, some way, we need to make the pit more than a great place to quietly enjoy your nachos.  

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Sunday morning follow-up:  There is no mention of our game yesterday on the front page of the sports section.  Not even a sentence or a score listing.  If you weren't looking for us or didn't know we played.  Just like they like it, out of sight out of mind.  But hey, Pop Issacs scored 21 to help TT beat UT (Lubbock and Austin).

....just reviewed entire epaper from DMN.  There is NO summary or mention of our game yesterday. However, TCU, Tx A&M, UH, Baylor, Kansas St and OU have their summaries.

Edited by GMoney
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1

19 minutes ago, GMoney said:

Sunday morning follow-up:  There is no mention of our game yesterday on the front page of the sports section.  Not even a sentence or a score listing.  If you weren't looking for us or didn't know we played.  Just like they like it, out of sight out of mind.  But hey, Pop Issacs scored 21 to help TT beat UT (Lubbock and Austin).

This is unacceptable and I let them know it. Please do the same. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

DMNsports@dallasnews.com

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Do you really think this kind of post serves any useful purpose?  

Most Students are not back until around the 14th, so of course student attendance will  be down. I know dorms won;t open until 12th or 13th since my daughter is not headed back until the 14th

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

.  Where were the promotions to celebrate the first ever AAC game at the pit?   Why haven’t I heard of a “pack the pit” night on January 25th yet…SMU is coming to our house and there should be NO trouble selling why we need a hostile atmosphere.  

Somehow, some way, we need to make the pit more than a great place to quietly enjoy your nachos.  

Agree and further…. There’s a huge week night game coming up mid Feb when ranked Memphis comes to Denton. If we can keep winning between now and then…..could be a huge conference match-up. Been to a few big games at the pit when it’s full and rocking and it is amazing. Thats a game that people should be planning ahead for now…..

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMoney said:

....just reviewed entire epaper from DMN.  There is NO summary or mention of our game yesterday. However, TCU, Tx A&M, UH, Baylor, Kansas St and OU have their summaries.

DMN has become trash over the past 10 years.   It only serves Big12 programs.   Vito is part of the problem too.  The Denton RC is owned by the DMN, but they don't value him either.