Fordham (12/10/23)

Big Z

1 minute ago, GMoney said:

Prolonged scoring droughts in every loss is killing us.  6, 7, 8 minutes...I don't care how good your D is, you cannot consistently go dry from the field.  I think this is a clear example of not being able to play inside/out to open up some cleaner looks.

I brought this up previously and was told that “it happens to every team”.

No, no it does not  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

We had more sustained droughts last season than this year.  We didn't have any eight minute droughts today where we didn't score at all.  Yes, we had stretches where we didn't score much, but we never went 7-8 minutes with zero points.  Everyone deals with the droughts, you just have to keep them to 3-4 minutes, not longer.

My main concern is our inability to make winning plays down he stretch.  The difference between teams that win close games consistently and lose close games is mostly in the head and in the heart. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Somebody should look at the box score and check Fordhams scoring droughts as well….. or any box score for an average game 😉 

Thank you for the invitation, I just did exactly that.  

At halftime we were up 35-23, that’s a twelve point lead.  We started the second half by scoring a bucket at the 16:18 mark and then a single free throw (missed the other one) at the 13:31 mark…and that free throw was to draw even with a team we, agains, had down twelve at the half.  

Now I am sure someone will lean into semantics and say “well, that still isn’t 7 minutes without scoring” but I’ll stand by the fact that 6:29 of game time with THREE points scored (while giving up 15) is atrocious.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

Thank you for the invitation, I just did exactly that.  

At halftime we were up 35-23, that’s a twelve point lead.  We started the second half by scoring a bucket at the 16:18 mark and then a single free throw (missed the other one) at the 13:31 mark…and that free throw was to draw even with a team we, agains, had down twelve at the half.  

Now I am sure someone will lean into semantics and say “well, that still isn’t 7 minutes without scoring” but I’ll stand by the fact that 6:29 of game time with THREE points scored is atrocious.  

That’s fine. It is also dependent upon how often the other team scores and the pace of the game. I heard the same argument every Mavs game…. Guys we went 4 minutes without scoring blah blah blah. It happens. In college a 2-4 minute drought isn’t that uncommon. 5-8 minutes without a bucket or maybe just a single bucket yeah that’s an issue. That can still be corrected though.