Breaking: Dripping Springs WR Kyle Koch Commits to North Texas

TheReal_jayD

5 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is tired of the puzzle pieces.  I guess everything is "hush hush" until actual signing day.

4 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Since schools aren't allowed to say the who of commitments until they sign, this is the school's way of showing love/excitement to the players who are committing. It also signals momentum to other recruits. I don't know why anyone would be annoyed by this.

This! Again for those in the cheap seats:

THE SCHOOL CANNOT COMMENT ON SPECIFIC RECRUITS UNTIL THEY SIGN AN LOI.

In the age of social media, that rule has been stretched (to the breaking point) with the school apparently providing graphics to the recruits to use in the posts - which is often how we can tell if a player is being recruited officially. But in principle, NT can’t say if a kid has given a verbal or not. They can only announce a signing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

In the age of social media, that rule has been stretched (to the breaking point) with the school apparently providing graphics to the recruits to use in the posts - which is often how we can tell if a player is being recruited officially. But in principle, NT can’t say if a kid has given a verbal or not. They can only announce a signing. 

^^^^^
this guy is correct 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The school can't announce commits only the players.

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I think my post is being misinterpreted. The current process: puzzle tweet, a few days goes by, recruit announces commitment. My desired process: crickets, recruit announces commitment, immediate puzzle tweet to show recognition. The current process doesn't bring any information other than that a recruit may have committed. We've seen puzzle tweets yield no commitments. I don't see the purpose other than generating speculation over who the recruit may be but since the school can't announce the commitment anyways, why not wait until the recruit announces before posting the puzzle so that it's more obvious to fans that a recruit did in fact commit and it's more obvious who the commit is. I don't care for the suspense is all.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

31 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think my post is being misinterpreted. The current process: puzzle tweet, a few days goes by, recruit announces commitment. My desired process: crickets, recruit announces commitment, immediate puzzle tweet to show recognition. The current process doesn't bring any information other than that a recruit may have committed. We've seen puzzle tweets yield no commitments. I don't see the purpose other than generating speculation over who the recruit may be but since the school can't announce the commitment anyways, why not wait until the recruit announces before posting the puzzle so that it's more obvious to fans that a recruit did in fact commit and it's more obvious who the commit is. I don't care for the suspense is all.

Shows that we are getting stuff done.

It's not very informative, but it creates this perception of productivity.  One more rat in the race that is social media, and schools looking to be better/busier/whatever than their peers.

• Upvote 2

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to Breaking: Dripping Springs WR Kyle Koch Commits to North Texas
3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

wow! I cannot understand how some of y'all are so emotional engaged with these votes, particularly downvotes.

I totally agree. Votes for or against fellow posters really mean anything. Most won't even come with a comment. But, I also see no need to direct a negative reaction towards a newly minted recruit. 

• Upvote 1