There’s no shame in going 5-7

NTSU52

I can think of a lot of seasons in Denton that we would have been ecstatic to get 5 wins. In the 90s and mid to late 2000s especially. I know it’s not the season we wanted but alot of y'all need to look at where we came from before attacking Coach Morris and his staff.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • RV 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 3

41 minutes ago, NTSU52 said:

I can think of a lot of seasons in Denton that we would have been ecstatic to get 5 wins. In the 90s and mid to late 2000s especially. I know it’s not the season we wanted but alot of y'all need to look at where we came from before attacking Coach Morris and his staff.

lol 😂

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

Your realistic hippie is that we win 11-12 games in the regular season?

I think he means it isn’t beyond the possibility that a UNT team can win enough to be with those kind of teams. It is a realistic hope. It has to be/ should be. Otherwise, what are we really even doing?!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

There’s plenty of shame in this season. But we got an exceptionally bad hand in the conference schedule, not sure who to blame for that. There was going to be a dropoff due to changeover and adjustment, but that was needed in order to have a chance to really progress in the future. And I wouldn't want to trade places with ECU for example. So despite a strong dose of shame, on balance at this point I’m not wearing a bag and I think they will do considerably better next year.

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Your realistic hippie is that we win 11-12 games in the regular season?

That is what I believe this program can attain on the high-end. I think it can be done.

I DON’T think we can win a national championship in football for many reasons, but best case we can have a James Madison-type run and break the Top 25. 

And on the low-end, I expect to play in some bowl game every season. 
This season did not meet that criteria and was thus unacceptable. 

• Upvote 3

Yes there is.  There's plenty of "shame".

NT was preparing for the C-USA Championship game and then a bowl game at this time last year.   We got there in a rocky way, but we got there.   That finish was deemed to be not good enough last year, and changes were made... TO MAKE US BETTER.    NT regressed.   

TX St. finished last year with 4 wins.  That finish was deemed to be not good enough, and changes were made to make them better.    TX St. improved. Vastly.

While there are bright spots to look forward to next year (along with plenty to worry about, especially defensively), this season was definitely not a success.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing less than a winning season should be the bottom bar, so there should be some shame for not hitting that goal. There was a time around here that 5-7 would be acceptable, that should no longer be the case. We are and have been on an upward trend and we need, no have to maintain that trajectory. Hope once again springs eternal.  GO MEAN GREEN!!!

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

This is the horrid mindset that has mired North Texas in mediocrity for a century now.

We are a top-4 size university in a football-crazy state.  The 80s and 90s damaged the brand terribly, but that was 30 years ago.  UCF didn't even have a football program 30 years ago.  App State has gone from FCS to national visibility in under a decade.  Liberty is a TOP 20 team, and has only been in FBS since 2018.

Everyone else can improve.  Why, oh why, do UNT fans accept .500 (or less!) football as a goal?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Yall don't have a bad team. The difference between 5-7 and 7-5 is razor thin. You've got a QB to build around which is one of the greatest predictors of future success. Need to bring in some defensive difference makers that fit the system your running, especially more beef on the DL.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ADLER said:

So true. We would be bowling if we hadn't worn black and pooped the bed against FIU.

FIU just beat our butts. The Memphis loss is a bitter disappointment and the Navy game should of been won as well. However I am tired of going to piss ant bowls with 5&7 and 6&6 records. The "made up" bowl in Frisco last year was an embarrassment as was the attendance. We must win 8 or 9 games in order to get to a decent bowl such as Armed Forces Bowl in Ft. Wort. The only down side of sitting at home is the extra 15 days of practice we lose.

• Eye Roll 1