North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

Multiple starting QBs at P5 schools now entering portal.  Big time money grab going on from more than just backups at this point.  It was all shits and giggles when P5 schools were poaching from the lower conferences, but now that they are poaching from each other I think it will changes things.

Can't imagine BMDs are going to put up with this for too long before they realize this is just nuclear war and nobody wins (e.g. pro sports salary caps).  This will only spiral upward if controls are not put in place.

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

We'll see. We havan't lost Adaway yet, and I think he's better than Adeyi. As for the receiver, replaceable in this system. I'm not saying I like it, but it is the reality. A lot of this coaching staff is going to be judged for their offseason gains and losses. No way to know until we hit next year. If it's a shitshow, it's a shitshow.

I'll believe we can replace a 1,000-yard season receiver when it happens. We've only had a half dozen in our history.

My point isn't that Morris won't find a way to reload. Maybe he will. Maybe his offensive system will elevate players. But as a fan, watching each offseason as a lot of good players hit the portal is a buzzkill.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jdawg48 said:

Alot of names today. 

Speaking of, Jyaire Shorter is now in the portal. Interesting 🤔

He needs to learn how to run routes.  That is his issue.  The only route SL & staff ever taught him was the go route.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

20 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

The SEC and the Big 12 might pick off some of our players, but we don’t have to play in the SEC or the Big 12.

We play against schools like UTSA, UAB and Rice. We just have to beat these schools, who are also getting their roster picked apart by the P4, to have a successful season. 

And we can steal players from the Sun Belt, CUSA and Lone Star Conference, etc. 

The game has changed, but it is still a game. We just have to win it. 

And one other thing, the transfer portal is getting all the attention, but we need to be playing Moneyball. Where are the undervalued assets?

If everyone else is zigging into the transfer portal, it might be smarter to zag into JUCO or high school recruits to find immediate impact players. At some point, the transfer portal has to become too picked over. 

This is Eric Morris’ job to figure out. He went 5-7 this year, which is unacceptable to me. 

I expect this team to make a bowl game every year, compete for the conference championship most seasons and sometimes peak as a conference champion that cracks the Top 25. 

I still believe that Eric Morris can accomplish this. 

Yep, we need to find the Landon Sides of DL's. LB's and OL's.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

would the coaching staff want him back? 

Assuming there aren't issues between him and others on the team, the coaching staff would be crazy not to want him back.  He demands so much attention as a deep threat that he opens opportunities for others all over the field.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Assuming there aren't issues between him and others on the team, the coaching staff would be crazy not to want him back.  He demands so much attention as a deep threat that he opens opportunities for others all over the field.

No thanks. As good of a deep threat as Maclin was, he ran more than one route. I don't want any one trick ponies anymore. Shorter was successful because Aune had one trick and he had one trick, the just both happened to align.

"F*ck it go deep" isn't the philosophy that made our offense successful this year.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Come on man....

On 11/28/2023 at 12:47 PM, 97and03 said:

We seem to lose a star receiver almost every year due to portal or graduation. Perhaps losing starting O-linemen are more concerning. 

Yeah I’d say so. Especially because as we raise NIL money, we may have money to retain some of the top skill players but offensive line might be where the gap in NIL pool between us and the P5s starts to show.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Was just about to post this.

New coaching staff and we have a void with Maclin leaving. Would he come back and would the coaching staff want him back? So far, FAU has offered.

I would say welcoming back someone who had previously transferred should be on a player-by-player case. How/why did they leave and how did they go about it? What comments did they make when they left? 

• Upvote 5