OL Smallwood hits the portal

97and03

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

Has Smallwood played for us or is this just more of a decision on his part to get more PT? 

Plot twist: what if it is not his decision?

If I'm Morris, i'm revamping the roster now.  Looking at players that have not contributed.  Players that look like they aren't developing into contributors.  You've (coaches) got a full year with the portal now, so everything is on the table.

I don't think we'll see anything on Deion/Colorado's level, though.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Plot twist: what if it is not his decision?

If I'm Morris, i'm revamping the roster now.  Looking at players that have not contributed.  Players that look like they aren't developing into contributors.  You've (coaches) got a full year with the portal now, so everything is on the table.

I don't think we'll see anything on Deion/Colorado's level, though.

When Coach Morris came down to San Antonio to speak at the Monday's Quarterback Club he did mentioned that he felt certain player were not pulling there fair share and tho he hates to make the cuts that he will probably have to make them.
My question is can an athletic department just pull a scholarship if they feel a player/athlete is not playing up to par?

2 hours ago, Danish43 said:

When Coach Morris came down to San Antonio to speak at the Monday's Quarterback Club he did mentioned that he felt certain player were not pulling there fair share and tho he hates to make the cuts that he will probably have to make them.
My question is can an athletic department just pull a scholarship if they feel a player/athlete is not playing up to par?

My understanding is that even when we offer someone a full ride the scholarships are truly only for a year and are basically just not renewed in these type situations.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Danish43 said:

If what the board has been saying is true, Scholarships are annual.  There’s a handshake agreement upon coming in that you will get it renewed every year until you finish, but it can be canceled/not renewed if the coaches choose to do so.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

If what the board has been saying is true, Scholarships are annual.  There’s a handshake agreement upon coming in that you will get it renewed every year until you finish, but it can be canceled/not renewed if the coaches choose to do so.

Before last year, only the P5 conferences had the "rule" that once you signed, it was good for the entire four years. This was not in place at any G5 or FCS, but as you mentioned, a general "handshake agreement" was, in most cases, honored. With P5s, there were always those who were encouraged to look elsewhere. Still, starting last year, highlighted by Sanders at Colorado, it became very open when the coach announced he would and did cut players, so even though the rule is still in place, it does not seem to be enforced any longer. 

13 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Before last year, only the P5 conferences had the "rule" that once you signed, it was good for the entire four years. This was not in place at any G5 or FCS, but as you mentioned, a general "handshake agreement" was, in most cases, honored. With P5s, there were always those who were encouraged to look elsewhere. Still, starting last year, highlighted by Sanders at Colorado, it became very open when the coach announced he would and did cut players, so even though the rule is still in place, it does not seem to be enforced any longer. 

P5 has no different rules than g5.   P5 was an unofficial term used to denote those conferences that would be eligibility in the major bowl games.  There is no difference in D1 rules based on conference affiliation.  

All athletic scholarships are for one year and have been for a long time.  

Schools generally reoffered ships on an annual basis because of the fear that not doing so would destroy their recruiting.  Also players where assured that the ship would be renewed in the recruiting process.

In today's environment, NIL and frequent transfers, a lot of the trust that used to exist between players and schools has been lost.     Agreements (non-binding) between players and coaches may be entered into, but once those coaches are gone; so is the agreement. 

• Upvote 1

The NCAA started allowing, but not requiring, multiyear scholarships in 2012. A few years later, the autonomous conferences - Pac 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big XII, plus Notre Dame - agreed to have multiyear scholarships for football. One website, Informedathlete.com, started calling this a rule and this has been widely quoted by other websites. But there wasn't an enforcement mechanism ever implemented - if a school chose to ignore the agreement, there was never any penalty. It was never an NCAA rule. And it appears there were always multiple exceptions to it that individual conferences and even schools had. Generally, if there was a change in head coach players that didn't fit the new scheme were encouraged (and usually helped) to move on and free up the scholarships for players that fit the new scheme. 

Edited by VideoEagle

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Here is one example of the rule. There are many more if you google it

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

4 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

The NCAA started allowing, but not requiring, multiyear scholarships in 2012. A few years later, the autonomous conferences - Pac 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big XII, plus Notre Dame - agreed to have multiyear scholarships for football. One website, Informedathlete.com, started calling this a rule and this has been widely quoted by other websites. But there wasn't an enforcement mechanism ever implemented - if a school chose to ignore the agreement, there was never any penalty. It was never an NCAA rule. And it appears there were always multiple exceptions to it that individual conferences and even schools had. Generally, if there was a change in head coach players that didn't fit the new scheme were encouraged (and usually helped) to move on and free up the scholarships for players that fit the new scheme. 

Thanks, was not aware of this; I knew individual conferences had rules; but not a group  of  conferences. 

However, is it a rule if no one has to follow it?

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Thanks, was not aware of this; I knew individual conferences had rules; but not a group  of  conferences. 

However, is it a rule if no one has to follow it?

Deion blew this out of the water. I guess the schools are now thinking that if the players can walk away, we should be able to move on if we choose to. 

• Upvote 1