***UNT vs Tulane In-Game Discussion Thread***

Coach Andy Mac

A loss you can feel okay about, especially considering our defense up until last week. I'm feeling a little better about our chances in the coming weeks, though SMU will still probably turn up to beat us like we owe them money. I'd take a shitty bowl game as a huge win at this point, which seemed a pipe dream after week 2.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

52 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

If you were the coach, would you wait til the game was close to put your starters back in the game? Even if their coach played the bench, he more than likely put them all back in when it was at least within 14 points. 

One of the times the announcers mentioned this was when we were down near the goal line (I think when we were down 14 and about to make it 7).  They said Tulane was putting their starters back in.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

That was a very difficult first half to watch.  I would like to know what the halftime Coach speech was and adjustments because the team looked much more motivated in the second half.  The TV announcers alluded to some type of talk at half from Morris?

"My pig found its, found its self smart enough to hop over in the the barrier from his pen to the next pen and eat all of that pigs food and then go to the next one and eat all of that pigs food and then the next one and eat all of that pigs food and make his way back in time for when it was my turn my time to feed him he had already eaten three meals and would just be sitting there waiting for me and I would feed him and he would eat that. That’s why he gained so much weight and got sifted at the fat stock show."

You've never seen a more fired up group of dudes after this speech from Morris

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

"My pig found its, found its self smart enough to hop over in the the barrier from his pen to the next pen and eat all of that pigs food and then go to the next one and eat all of that pigs food and then the next one and eat all of that pigs food and make his way back in time for when it was my turn my time to feed him he had already eaten three meals and would just be sitting there waiting for me and I would feed him and he would eat that. That’s why he gained so much weight and got sifted at the fat stock show."

Bob sturm would be proud

• Upvote 7

One thing I will say, I like the way this staff makes halftime adjustments.  That was one of my biggest Littrell complaints. 

Our teams seem to come out and improve in the second half.  I don’t have huge expectations for this season, but I can now see some hope for what we might be able to do next season.  

should be fun. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

12 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Our defense came up with some big plays today, but still can't consistently hold up against the run, and is still ranked among the worst in the FBS. That's all on Caponi. In my opinion, Caponi's body of work should absolutely be evaluated at the end of this season. Just like we want to get the best players, we need to go find the best coaches. 

Our defense played better yesterday....but we still gave up 35 points to a team that isn't exactly explosive and despite the way we played in the 2nd half; when the game was on the line tied 28-28....Tulane's last drive was pretty easy. We left the middle of the field wide open that entire drive....and Tulane took advantage of it and just took the ball down and scored the go ahead TD. Pretty easy drive there.

I'm not poopooing the performance...it was better but have to keep in mind that's a pretty low bar to improve on. I loved the heart the kids showed in the 2nd half. But overall, our defense is still bad and the DC is responsible. 

Maybe we can take the positive momentum (which I would say we DO have) and see what happens next week. At the very least, I would say Morris may have started turning a corner in the 2nd half regarding buy in. In my mind, that onside kick was a message to his team, "we're not here for moral victories, we're here to win games." Huge message there. Tulane is probably the best team left on our schedule, so at the very least, hopefully the team sees they can compete with the rest of the schedule. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Our defense came up with some big plays today, but still can't consistently hold up against the run, and is still ranked among the worst in the FBS. That's all on Caponi. In my opinion, Caponi's body of work should absolutely be evaluated at the end of this season. Just like we want to get the best players, we need to go find the best coaches. 

They’ve shown solid progress the last 2 games and are no longer a total embarrassment. Isn’t that what you demanded they do? You seem to keep moving the goal line with your expectations. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how anyone came out of that game with more confidence in our defense.  With the game on the line our D folded like a cheap suit.  We got back in it by keeping them off the field.  Our offense is legit and Rogers is much better than expected.  Receivers all look solid and dangerous.  Adeyi is a big play waiting to happen.  Defense is Swiss cheese.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

22 hours ago, golfingomez said:

That wasn't, that wasn't the question. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

How about coordinators?

I mean, I guess it depends on who you can plug into the coordinator role. In your Arkansas example, it’s tough to see how they become a better football team for making that move when looking at the interim OC’s credentials. We’ll see if it pays off for them. Feels like it probably won’t make them any better this year looking at it from a high level glance.

With that said, I wouldn’t hold my breath that Coach Morris makes a change at DC anytime soon. He likes the scheme. At this point, they know they don’t have the right personnel for it to be its best version this year but they feel like getting the players used to running it helps them in the long run.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Not sure how anyone came out of that game with more confidence in our defense.  With the game on the line our D folded like a cheap suit.  We got back in it by keeping them off the field.  Our offense is legit and Rogers is much better than expected.  Receivers all look solid and dangerous.  Adeyi is a big play waiting to happen.  Defense is Swiss cheese.

Did you watch the first half? I know they gave up 21, but that was more a product of being on the field way longer than they should have since the offense couldn't do anything. The amount of turnovers they generated and the stops they got on 4th down. Where were all those things against FIU and Cal? Among some of the other things they did right. I don't think it is fair to say they haven't improved because of one drive.

I agree, to get to the next level, those are the drives they will need to stop, but if I watched the FIU game and the Tulane game back to back on the defensive side of the ball, I don't see how you can't say that's not improvement.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, 97and03 said:

How about coordinators?

I watched the end of the Ark/Ms St game.  The Ark QB could not complete a simple pass.  He made the Temple backup QB look wonderful.  Not sure how an SEC program has no quality QBs on it's roster?

Firing a Coordinator is the first step for a Head Coach on the hot seat 🔥 to try and save his own job.  I expect Ark to be Head Coach shopping at the end of the season.  Programs with $$ don't allow losing coaches to stay long.

21 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Did you watch the first half? I know they gave up 21, but that was more a product of being on the field way longer than they should have since the offense couldn't do anything. The amount of turnovers they generated and the stops they got on 4th down. Where were all those things against FIU and Cal? Among some of the other things they did right. I don't think it is fair to say they haven't improved because of one drive.

I agree, to get to the next level, those are the drives they will need to stop, but if I watched the FIU game and the Tulane game back to back on the defensive side of the ball, I don't see how you can't say that's not improvement.

They have improved.  I agree.  They have improved from the worst defense I've ever seen to still bottom of the FBS in 2023 (125/130 in total defense, 123/130 in scoring defense).  We gave up 245 rushing yards to Tulane.  I do not have more confidence in them at this point.  Confidence, to me, means that when the game is on the line you think they might get a stop.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

They have improved.  I agree.  They have improved from the worst defense I've ever seen to still bottom of the FBS in 2023 (125/130 in total defense, 123/130 in scoring defense).  We gave up 245 rushing yards to Tulane.  I do not have more confidence in them at this point.  Confidence, to me, means that when the game is on the line you think they might get a stop.  

I think we are on the same page here. I have to go back to my other posts about taking a little bit of time to learn things from HC down to players, but I am still very cautious. This week will really show whether they are going to continue the trend.