****OFFICIAL ACU vs UNT In-Game Thread***

Harry

11 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I felt like they were trying to run more and control

While I agree with the decision to run more and control the clock, I would’ve liked to see them score more in the second half or at least threaten to score on more occasions. I just didn’t see enough of that, honestly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Though there was purple involved, please note that was ABILENE Christian, not Texas Christian.  Commitment to 3 man front is reminiscent of late years HC Dickey's obsession with executing the 'perfect run-blocking scheme'. All that did was completely derail an otherwise promising head coaching career, in case anyone cares about that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

Looks like ACU also runs the 3-3-5 defense. So, not just from our angle, but also looks like it doesn’t work for them. Scrap this defense, Morris. Can’t be fully behind you if you think this is a good idea. 

Did you see how ACU tackles? Many one on one stops by their defenders. It takes 3-4 of our guys to bring a runner down. Sheesh.

• Upvote 2

I just have one question.

How does a running back who was held to -9 yards by Prairie View and 9 yards by Central Arkansas and who has rushed for a total of 143 yards over the past 3 years gain 140 yards against us in one game?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4431423/jayveon-sunday

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

6 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

How does a running back who was held to -9 yards by Prairie View and 9 yards by Central Arkansas and who has rushed for a total of 143 yards over the past 3 years gain 140 yards against us in one game?

I can answer that! Because we are North Texas. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

A coach that is stubborn and continues to march the same philosophy that doesn’t work isn’t a good coach. A coach who continues to allow his coaches to be his downfall is on him 💯 

That’s the definition of insanity according to Albert Einstein. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Did you see how ACU tackles? Many one on one stops by their defenders. It takes 3-4 of our guys to bring a runner down. Sheesh.

We have too many guys just leading with shoulders and hoping they would fall down afterwards than actually wrapping up. But that’s also the case when your defense is smaller in size, which makes me even more annoyed to keep running the 3-3-5. If you’re already a smaller defense, why take away an extra DL which would add size.  Instead, you replace that with a LB or DB only to become smaller.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Where are those that were saying Texas FCS schools bring good crowds and it's a good reason to keep scheduling them? From what I saw it didn't look like many were in the stands. 

You can't rely on the other team to bring fans. If they do great, if they don't then oh well, its not their responsibility to fill the stadium.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

You want to have a career offensive output? Play this defense 

8 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Where are those that were saying Texas FCS schools bring good crowds and it's a good reason to keep scheduling them? From what I saw it didn't look like many were in the stands. 

What better, realistic options do we have to schedule in nonconference though? Even SMU doesn't really show up. Apparently it takes more than just a P5 team, looking at the Cal attendance. I think it'd take another Texas P5 school or SEC West school right now.

Someone mentioned it a month or so ago, but I think that Texas Tech return game in a few years is our next greatest chance to sell the stadium out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cougar King said:

You can't rely on the other team to bring fans. If they do great, if they don't then oh well, its not their responsibility to fill the stadium.

You missed that in a different thread people were saying scheduling Texas FCS teams was good and we should schedule more because they bring good crowds. They don't, from all the years I have been watching I don't recall a notable FCS crowd, and playing these teams also leads to low interest for our fans. 

9 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I mean their crowd wasn't bad. It was pretty good for a visiting team.  Did some else say they would travel like Tech? 

40 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

What better, realistic options do we have to schedule in nonconference though? Even SMU doesn't really show up. Apparently it takes more than just a P5 team, looking at the Cal attendance. I think it'd take another Texas P5 school or SEC West school right now.

Someone mentioned it a month or so ago, but I think that Texas Tech return game in a few years is our next greatest chance to sell the stadium out.

It's hard to know with scheduling and seeing what teams are open on specific dates. With time though I would think we should be able to schedule any G5 that has an open date on for a home and home. Just looking quickly in 2026 instead of HCU why not try to get a game with Air Force, Boise State, Coastal Carolina, or Ohio? All of those have an opening for an away game on 9/26 in 2026. With all of the realignment there may also be good chances to schedule P5s, which we did already with WSU. 

20 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

I mean their crowd wasn't bad. It was pretty good for a visiting team.  Did some else say they would travel like Tech? 

No, but we've discussed on this board before that people push for playing Texas FCS teams because according to them our fans are familiar with them and will get our fans to come out, as well as that they bring a good away crowd. I don't recall ever seeing a large number of away fans for an FCS game, maybe some sparse ones here and there, but nothing that was notable. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Have you noticed when Evens does "traditional" punts, he is outstanding, but when he tries the Aussie style, he sucks. Too bad our "upgraded" Special Teams coach doesn't seem to notice.

Probably because we used two different punters last night…

14 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

No, but we've discussed on this board before that people push for playing Texas FCS teams because according to them our fans are familiar with them and will get our fans to come out, as well as that they bring a good away crowd. I don't recall ever seeing a large number of away fans for an FCS game, maybe some sparse ones here and there, but nothing that was notable. 

Just say “No” to scheduling FCS! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I don't remember that, but I think playing an FCS team was considered a tune-up game in reaction to the old days when our out-of-conference games were dominated by playing top 10 teams, and we would all be hoping we had enough healthy players left for conference games. 

• Upvote 1