Talks with Army progressing

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Interesting.  I didn't know Dayton had such a big following.   On paper VCU looks like it's been the more successful program of the two over the last couple decades.

Not only does Dayton have a huge following but they get the AAC back in Ohio after losing Cincy and Dayton hosts the March Madness' First Four Out every year. It would be a great add.

That said, VCU is a large public research university so I think they fit the current build of the AAC better. Dayton is a private catholic university. Personally, my pick would be Dayton.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

This was an interesting new piece of info.   Would App St fit if Army stiffs us?

"Sun Belt power Appalachian State had also drawn interest from the American."

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Why would Army want to stay Indy? Why would Army want to join the American?

Just trying to understand the dynamics here.  I know Army can stay indie.  Just (pleasantly) surprised to see apparent optimism on their end. 

Here is an article from last December that explains some of it...

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-army-west-point-black-knights-navy-midshipmen-villanova-wildcats-22ec674cfc3e34d8a978e4340f743367

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I believe Army is busy reworking their future schedules, and the AAC is busy running the numbers by ESPN. Losing SMU in favor of Army, might just make the AAC a stronger and more valuable conference. We will see.

Hmm, maybe UNT can make a move to grab some of Army's more attractive future opponents...

2025: (we currently have 2 home, 1 away nonconference)
at Syracuse, vs. UConn, at Air Force, at Wake Forest

I would have kept going but noticed Army's schedule gets less attractive the further into the future you go... Maybe we could grab a home game with Cincinnati in 2031? Lol.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/army/

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2023 at 4:31 PM, Daddy Dumpsalot said:

Army and Navy are so boring to watch. Handoff....run, handoff other side...run, option...run. BORING.

Yes, but the alumni base is huge for both academies so that it really doesn’t matter. It’s literally the only game alumni from both academies watch or care about. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Yes, but the alumni base is huge for both academies so that it really doesn’t matter. It’s literally the only game alumni from both academies watch or care about. 

not only academies, but those who currently or are veterans of the Army or Navy......

• Upvote 3

Have to jump in here and give my 2 cents on adding Army to AAC.

I think it is a fantastic add and I hope it happens.   They are a storied program with great tradition and a great away game destination.  They have a national following and there are not many (if any) teams left out there that have that.

For UNT, I would say our last home game with them was absolutely one of the best attended games we have had in my time following the program.

I never understood why Wren decided to end the series and of course when we did UTSA gobbled it right up.

I have heard that Littrell said it was a tough game to prepare for and that we always had lots of injuries due to cut blocks etc.  Sorry but I think preparation is part of the deal, and if the blocking is legal or illegal it is something the conference will need to deal with. 

Hope it happens as it would be a great conference replacement for SMU.  I also hope we keep our non-conf series with SMU going forward and I would think they would want to do that as well.  I also would hope Aresco looks at adding Air Force especially if we could get all three under the same AAC umbrella.  The service academies are just a lot of fun for fans.  I still remember when I think the Navy jets flew over Fouts and it shook the ground underneath.  They were super low and it was an awesome moment.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Have to jump in here and give my 2 cents on adding Army to AAC.

I think it is a fantastic add and I hope it happens.   They are a storied program with great tradition and a great away game destination.  They have a national following and there are not many (if any) teams left out there that have that.

For UNT, I would say our last home game with them was absolutely one of the best attended games we have had in my time following the program.

I never understood why Wren decided to end the series and of course when we did UTSA gobbled it right up.

I have heard that Littrell said it was a tough game to prepare for and that we always had lots of injuries due to cut blocks etc.  Sorry but I think preparation is part of the deal, and if the blocking is legal or illegal it is something the conference will need to deal with. 

Hope it happens as it would be a great conference replacement for SMU.  I also hope we keep our non-conf series with SMU going forward and I would think they would want to do that as well.  I also would hope Aresco looks at adding Air Force especially if we could get all three under the same AAC umbrella.  The service academies are just a lot of fun for fans.  I still remember when I think the Navy jets flew over Fouts and it shook the ground underneath.  They were super low and it was an awesome moment.

Would be cool but we dont have room in the schedule til 2028. Would love to get rid of that WMU series though. I do wonder if they'll proritize scheduling Texas teams for non con now that they're playing east coast, Cal and Stanford for conference games. I'd hope they think of us but could also see them scheduling SHSU, Tarlteton for easy home games.

Edited by meanJewGreen
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

How many AAC titles does SMU's football program have? 

I see no reason why Army couldn't come in and outpreform what SMU accomplished on the football field as an AAC member. 

Army will never be a threat to win the AAC. As of now, SMU is a much better program. To suggest otherwise is delusional. 

They’re only being considered because of the viewership they draw and ESPN wanting the Army vs Navy game when the CBS contract runs out in a few years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 9/15/2023 at 10:25 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Army will never be a threat to win the AAC. As of now, SMU is a much better program. To suggest otherwise is delusional. 

They’re only being considered because of the viewership they draw and ESPN wanting the Army vs Navy game when the CBS contract runs out in a few years. 

Army isn’t about raising power ratings, they are about TV ratings. With the US not engaged in any major conflicts, recruiting may get easier for them.