What is your favorite North Texas helmet in all of history

Tommy Gadberry

I like the green helmet with feathers only, flying worm (white on green), and interlocked NT, in that order. 

The SOW can be a staple of the on the fabric uniform, stitched on pants and jersey. On our helmets, it's ugly. It's ugly for 2 reasons: 1. It's too big for the helmet. 2. Because it's too big for the helmet the equipment managers can't seem to find the right location to place it for it to look even decent. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

43 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I like the green helmet with feathers only, flying worm (white on green), and interlocked NT, in that order. 

The SOW can be a staple of the on the fabric uniform, stitched on pants and jersey. On our helmets, it's ugly. It's ugly for 2 reasons: 1. It's too big for the helmet. 2. Because it's too big for the helmet the equipment managers can't seem to find the right location to place it for it to look even decent. 

I agree the SOW by itself doesn't fit well on a football helmet.  Maybe that's why they went with the last helmet = smaller SOW inside the State of Texas?  But I'm not a fan of States on helmets (ie FAU). 

Best helmet to me will always be the unique, clean look of the iconic Stylized Eagle (aka Flying Worm).  It fits well both directions on the helmet and it's ours alone.   Second favorite would be interlocked NT 1968-71.  Third would be a not-used-yet block interlocked NT.

Breaking: North Texas hires Coach O as Director of Recruiting - Mean Green  Football - GoMeanGreen.com

North Texas Mean Green 1968-1971 Primary Logo custom decal  [SKT-NCAA-NTMG-P1968-01] - $1.00 : diytransfers.com

University of North Texas

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The Flying Worm is classic, but it definitely screams "SEVENTIES," as does that color scheme.  You couldn't ask for a better throwback, but it's time to move on with our every-week helmets and uniforms.

I like the SOW on the helmet, whether entirely or just the wings.

I like everything about this uniform:

5b9e34410934b.image.jpg?resize=1154,940

When we wear this I think two things-

This is the perfect away uniform. 
Why can we create the green version (meaning perfect) of this? 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

27 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I liked the green full SOW ones. I also liked the version with just the feathers, particularly the chrome one. 

*sidenote, IIRC I don't think people liked these grey jerseys but they looked really sharp. 

Mean-Green-2017-2-768x512.jpg

I don’t remember these grey unis.  They’re not bad with the green numbers.  

We had some grey ones with black/dark grey numbers, I think.  I didn’t like those too much. 

• Upvote 1

Favorites: (first number is row starting from the top, second number is from the left)

1 - 4

3 - 5

5 - 1, 5 - 6

6 -3, 6 - 4, 6- 7

7 - 1, 7 - 2, 7 - 4

Honorable Mention: 1-5, 3-7, 5-3, 5-7, 7-5

Worst: 3-3, 3-8, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 6-7

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

IMG_1176.jpeg.f446220721e6d35ae2ce9d8a85b37175.jpeg

I love the Flying Worm, but like that it’s only used as a throwback.  

I prefer a pretty basic helmet, so give me green with white SOW home and white with green SOW away.

I used to be very anti- enlarged wing, but I would be okay with either of those in white or green also. 

Can we just delete Row 4?  What a terrible run of helmets.

• Upvote 3