North Texas Basketball: Could Mean Green win the AAC in its first year?

The North Texas Mean Green achieved their crowning moment, defeating conference rival UAB to secure the first NIT title in program history. The championship springboards the Mean Green into an offseason of massive upheaval.

In an instant, their coach was gone, though that wasn’t much of a surprise. Grant McCasland had the inside track for the Texas Tech job for some time and quickly snatched when he was done leading the Mean Green to glory.

North Texas wasted no time filling the job, handing it to longtime associate head coach Ross Hodge. He’s been a big part of what McCasland has built and the program shouldn’t regress too much under the first-time head coach.

That transition is far from the biggest the program is going to have this offseason. The Mean Green will no longer be Conference USA Rivals with the Blazers; instead they’ll be rivals with them in the AAC.

The AAC will be virtually unrecognizable next year. Can North Texas fill the void and take the conference crown in its first year as a member?

read more:  https://bustingbrackets.com/2023/04/03/north-texas-basketball-mean-green-win-aac-first-year/

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Considering recent history, why on earth would anyone doubt we can compete.  Memphis will have a talented roster.  They will have to overcome less than great coaching.  FAU should be the early favorite.  Memphis, based on talent alone, will be expected to either win or be runner up to FAU.  I would expect most preseason predictions to put us somewhere near the middle just due to uncertainty around how our coaching staff will respond to the promotions and how the talented new guards will fit in with our historically grind it out style.

Personally, I expect us to compete for a top 3 finish.  Barring a slower than expected start, I'd still look for us to make some noise in the conference tournament.  With the shooters we've just brought in, we're going to be everyone's nightmare matchup in a tournament bracket.

• Upvote 5

Have to think the addition of Brown makes Memphis big contender. I think it’s gonna be Memphis, FAU, and shoot! I’ll drink the green koolaid. I think Hodge puts us the convo with them. Andy Kennedy staying at UAB could be huge.  I need to look at the Blazer roster, because I’m not sure what they will have.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 11:12 PM, greenminer said:

Have to think the addition of Brown makes Memphis big contender. I think it’s gonna be Memphis, FAU, and shoot! I’ll drink the green koolaid. I think Hodge puts us the convo with them. Andy Kennedy staying at UAB could be huge.  I need to look at the Blazer roster, because I’m not sure what they will have.

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2023-juco-top-100

He got two of the top 10 JuCo players in the country. They graduate a lot, but a lot of their key role players return like Gaines and Toney

• Upvote 3

Just now, JT Hammons said:

I think they could win it all!

I agree.  Memphis will be tough as will UAB and FAU.  We were only a couple of points away from beating FAU twice last year and they now have a target on their back.  It won't be easy by any means, but it is doable.

• Upvote 1