Wednesday at Noon, Hub Club: Joint Press Conferences and NIT Celebration

NT80

38 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

We have years before Ross is poached based off of what he said today.  He is looking for an exact fit for him, his family and the culture that he is leading.  Don't get me wrong... this guys makes a run in the tourney in the next few years then the doors will be kicked down by P5 teams in the region.  

That being said he might be even more bought in to the idea of UNT being a legit program than even Grant was (pains me to say). 

He has the basis built by Mac and Crew.  Just has to expand it.

I was thinking about this topic on my drive home today and I don’t disagree, with the important variable being met that we are INVESTING IN THE PROGRAM.   That means, paying him and his staff well,  NIL presence, facilities and generating attendance.  So much of these hopes of keeping a good coach long term are OUR responsibility. Hard to blame Ross if he has a few good years and takes double or triple his salary elsewhere.  The blame there again would not be on his morals, but our own short comings.  It’s time for our alumni base, students, etc. to get serious about showing up and investing seriously into both basketball and football and we will have what we’ve longed for.  In basketball’s case anyway, they’ve proven their worth, now it’s on us.  

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

WHAT? I'm talking about his ALL WHITE outfit with the smallest embroidery I've ever seen. You have to squint to be able to read "mean green". He's getting well paid to clearly show who he is representing.....and it looks like he's representing just about anyone but North Texas. 

I figured you were referring to the small NIT pin he was wearing on the left breast.

• Upvote 1

Boomers crawled through rat tunnels in Vietnam, yet still can't seem to figure out how to silence a cell phone during a celebratory press conference... I swear I heard like 60 ringtones go off in a span of about 20 minutes 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

Boomers crawled through rat tunnels in Vietnam, yet still can't seem to figure out how to silence a cell phone during a celebratory press conference... I swear I heard like 60 ringtones go off in a span of about 20 minutes 

I can’t believe they held it way over at Apogee in Hub Club. How did the Maniacs (students) make the trek? Did they start migration on Tuesday night so they could camp out and rest on the bridge?  I admire their dedication. 
How do you know they were the Boomers?  Most of them leave their phones in their car. I would guess it was the Gen whatever’s that suffer high blood pressure and rapid heart rate when without their phones. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/3/2023 at 12:40 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

Okay so a couple things to make mention of. 

1) Our HC is no longer here, as well as all the assistants (Besides Ross) and most of the players have excited stage left. The NIT is a huge accomplishment. But it is not parade worthy. Also the athletic department has enough trouble getting people to arrive to the actual games. How many would show up for a parade? When you have literally only one staff member remaining. And maybe only a handful of players that would even show up. 

2) Reason to have it all one day and not have 2 pressers and a "celebration". Because we have two brand new coaches that need to assembly complete staff as well as get on the road recruiting. Having the pressors combined helps allow the coaches to do that ASAP as well as allow media and fans one trip to Denton. Announcing HC of basketball at lunch on a wednesday is no different that announcing HC of football or signing day presser at lunch on a Wednesday. 

3) There will be another celebration. It maybe a ring celebration or something during football season. But I think we can all agree that it is more urgent to assemble staff and hit road recruiting. 

All good points but this is something that you discuss and have in place ahead of time. The coaches are under contract and players have to travel back with the team (they are students after all). Considering it was a charter they could have flown back on Friday afternoon and then team bus from airport (size of the charter and they could have landed at Denton airport) to Super Pit for a celebration/party. Then released to do what is needed afterwards (GM to Tech w/ Saturday announcement). 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

WHAT? I'm talking about his ALL WHITE outfit with the smallest embroidery I've ever seen. You have to squint to be able to read "mean green". He's getting well paid to clearly show who he is representing.....and it looks like he's representing just about anyone but North Texas. 

I just watched a few minutes of Coach Hodge speaking to the group and my two biggest takeaways were,

1. Were it not for the battle flag pin on his left lapel, (like Coach M,) you wouldn't have a clue as to what school had just hired him. Not one item of clothing was green.

2. Coach Hodge had to encourage/coax the fans/alumni there to stand up and applaud the NIT champions who were there in the room

MY GOD! That was embarrassing. 

I think the fact that event was combined with the press conferences....made the crowd less raucous....than if the celebration had been separate. But who knows?

I will say this....your sudden interest in basketball thrills me. I hope you will consider buying season tickets next year. The lower part of Section 121.....is a great place to sit. Right behind our bench. Great fans down there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

This says it all. Coach M. celebrating a big win....but who the hell does he coach for? Look very close and you will see.

NIT Wisconsin North Texas Basketball

Coach M. at the Texas Tech welcoming event. 

McCasland Tech intro

Coach Hodge at intro event. Look what he is wearing....not what he is holding up.

Basketball Coaches

Were it not for the NT flag pin on his lapel..........

This is pure NT.

E01B4148-1498-4EA7-A558-0FF12E048A30.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

There is not a good enough excuse in the world for not throwing a party for this year's team.  Yesterday was not it.  Doesn't have to be a parade...do what CMJ or NM Green proposed---quick stand-up pep rally behind the Admin building or a party over at Eastside.

I could not care less if Mac and the defectors choose to show up or stay in lubbuttocks.  Would be great if they did, but don't let these players miss out on what will be a life-long memory.  It's also a recruiting tool for our current student body and fans...seeing the school have some actual fun after winning would go a long way to helping get more excitement around the program and will help attendance long term.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, SUMG said:

I think the fact that event was combined with the press conferences....made the crowd less raucous....than if the celebration had been separate. But who knows?

I will say this....your sudden interest in basketball thrills me. I hope you will consider buying season tickets next year. The lower part of Section 121.....is a great place to sit. Right behind our bench. Great fans down there. 

My interest is in my university having a celebratory event (in this case NIT Champs-New Coached Named) with local news cameras running, and there is MINIMAL brand waving and/or displaying on what the NT officials were wearing.  WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?

Addendum;  Stand-up, don't think that I don't know why you really want me to buy  BB season tickets and sit in section 121. You would be hoping that I would get so obnoxious that I would provoke yet another NT coach.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

45 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

there is MINIMAL brand waving and/or displaying on what the NT officials were wearing.  WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?

UNT introduces longtime assistant Ross Hodge, Jason Burton as new  basketball coaches | Mean Green | dentonrc.com

I guess Smatrek should have passed around his blazer, but I think they were afraid The Masters might get their green panties in a wad.  Based on the backdrop, I would say there was plenty of "brand waving" even if the coaches went with traditional colors.  Guess we need to bring back Bill Vogel's "Flying Worm" blazers for AD staff.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

UNT introduces longtime assistant Ross Hodge, Jason Burton as new  basketball coaches | Mean Green | dentonrc.com

I guess Smatrek should have passed around his blazer, but I think they were afraid The Masters might get their green panties in a wad.  Based on the backdrop, I would say there was plenty of "brand waving" even if the coaches went with traditional colors.  Guess we need to bring back Bill Vogel's "Flying Worm" blazers for AD staff.

Hayden Fry and Bill Vogel. Now there was an athletic department that understood branding.

If there are anymore "events" for any of the coaching staff that require them to wear a shirt and coat, I will be glad to buy any of them a North Texas tie.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I just watched a few minutes of Coach Hodge speaking to the group and my two biggest takeaways were,

1. Were it not for the battle flag pin on his left lapel, (like Coach M,) you wouldn't have a clue as to what school had just hired him. Not one item of clothing was green.

Tell me you weren't listening to coach Hodge speak without telling me.

There was a significant reason he chose to wear what he was wearing.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2023 at 11:50 AM, NT80 said:

Yes!   I want one of those blazers.   I saw on TV someone was wearing one at the NIT final in Vegas!  It looked great!

Yea, I asked him about it since I haven't worn mine in a longgg TIME!

It's great he opened it up and he has had it signed by our stud coaches/athletes on the inside. What a great idea. You will see me with mine for this reason! He wore it to have GMc and Perry sign it as well as others!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1