Gilbert and Owens Effect in Recruiting

TheReal_jayD

9 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Think things are moving behind scenes. Expecting big visitor list next weekend. But also working with limited spots at moment. Expect some roster management as well. 

Expect a lot of current players to be nudged towards the TP?

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:18 AM, TheReal_jayD said:

Think things are moving behind scenes. Expecting big visitor list next weekend. But also working with limited spots at moment. Expect some roster management as well. 

Are any of our offensive stars leaving, or considering leaving?

• Upvote 1

Lot of comments relative to several new football coaches having great local connections to DFW recruits.

I just wonder if that really is a significant advantage over past NT coaches.

I don't think NT has had a problem identifying good local prospects.  The issue is signing them, will the new coaches be any more successful?

I hope it does give NT an edge, but frankly I doubt it.  SMU and their connections (NIL money) has just about their pick of area recruits that don't get P5 attention.  Being in the same conference should even things up a little, but there is no hint of that yet.  

I would like to think that is because of the lateness of the coaching change. 

Having better recruiters on staff is an improvement, but I wonder how much it will really help

I do think the new staff will be better coaching and that will improve the team. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Cooley said:

These guys just need to hit on 2-3 big names and I think the perception will change that UNT is a viable options other than SMU, TCU or UTSA

I have often thought about this too.

get a stud QB and inevitably a few other studs will want to receive the ball from him

get a stud DL and other DLs will want to chase QBs with him. Etc…

8 hours ago, Cooley said:

I think the benefit will be with those kids desiring to transfer back to the area; after they realize the grass was not greener. They generally reach out to a trusted adviser including their HS school coach. The relationships/credibility the coach has with Coach O and Gilbert hopefully will be the difference.

These guys just need to hit on 2-3 big names and I think the perception will change that UNT is a viable options other than SMU, TCU or UTSA

Agreed, except I'd take TCU out of the equation at this point.  Them playing in the national championship game will change the level of recruit they can/will go get.  But I completely agree on the SMU/UTSA deal.  I think we will see early and often a few more kids each class staying closer to home, and choosing UNT.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Lot of comments relative to several new football coaches having great local connections to DFW recruits.

I just wonder if that really is a significant advantage over past NT coaches.

I don't think NT has had a problem identifying good local prospects.  The issue is signing them, will the new coaches be any more successful?

I hope it does give NT an edge, but frankly I doubt it.  SMU and their connections (NIL money) has just about their pick of area recruits that don't get P5 attention.  Being in the same conference should even things up a little, but there is no hint of that yet.  

I would like to think that is because of the lateness of the coaching change. 

Having better recruiters on staff is an improvement, but I wonder how much it will really help

I do think the new staff will be better coaching and that will improve the team. 

Agree. And it will be pretty easy to prove. Either this staff that looks amazing on paper gets better recruits or they don’t. We don’t know yet. We will soon 

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Agreed, except I'd take TCU out of the equation at this point.  Them playing in the national championship game will change the level of recruit they can/will go get.  But I completely agree on the SMU/UTSA deal.  I think we will see early and often a few more kids each class staying closer to home, and choosing UNT.  

Head to head with UTSA is critical. SMU will be a different obsticial due to NIL. 

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

We'd be fine at RB without him but, man! He was still that special.  A level of up from anyone behind him, IMO.

I think Addaway is our best back. I wonder if his ankle will limit his portal options.

• Upvote 2