UNT hired Washington State offensive coordinator and former Incarnate Word head coach Eric Morris to take over its program on Tuesday

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Cameron Ward is not coming here to run off any QBs either.   But just like those QBs in the portal that he & Ward ran off, there are also OLs & WRs in the portal from there, who likely aren't coming here because they don't want to play for him.

Honestly, I don't really give 2 💩 about their portal guys.  More worried about another set of guys.

Here's some details on one of the QBs (Jayden de Laura) that got "run off" from WSU.  Looks like the only thing EM has to do with it is being hired as the new OC and planning to bring with him a top QB.  Are we supposed to be upset with EM if he brings a new QB here?  

https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/Article/Jayden-de-Laura-Saga-at-WSU-football-is-one-for-the-ages-197273981/

Another is Cammon Cooper who went to Hawaii.  I don't see any negative comments here other than he was asked to do a bit more running and not as much "air raid" which he preferred.

https://247sports.com/college/hawaii/Article/Cammon-Cooper-Hawaii-football-quarterback-commit-Washington-State-transfer-Rainbow-Warriors-Cougars-180422602/

I'm not finding much of anything regarding players not wanting to play for EM.  Are there some specific comments that have been made, etc. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

• Coach Andy Mac changed the title to UNT hired Washington State offensive coordinator and former Incarnate Word head coach Eric Morris to take over its program on Tuesday

One other random thought:

I really hope that Coach Morris and his family actually move to and make a home in Denton proper. Not Argyle or Northlake - the bougie neighbors. Nothing wrong with those communities and tons of the University brass live in those areas, but I think if you really want to ingrain yourself to the Denton community and University students, faculty, and staff - commit to being apart of it. Talk the talk AND walk the walk. TONS of really great places to live in Denton. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Look at his resume on qb's he recruited and coached. It is obvious he can spot talent and help that talent develop. WSU is not  the run and shoot. Look at WSU  offensive stats and compare to Graham at USC that had 2 to 3 times the talent. Spot potential qb talent and know how to develop it will be a big plus for UNT.  It may not have been the number one requirement, but I think being a Texas guy with contacts is a big plus. I have pushed him since day 1 and I'm ecstatic with the hire! GMG     

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, laxtonto said:

I think Riley turning down A&M for 3yrs at 2M per took him off the board early this week.

So the real question is what made them pivot from Fuentes to Morris?

My guess is that it was money with Fuente.  He would likely have wanted $2.5-3 million for openers.  In addition, his salary could have reduced his buyout that he's receiving from Virginia Tech.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, herewego said:

Its not just this hiring change this has been an ongoing issue on this board since at least 2011. There are countless examples of users being bullied out because of differing views. We are in no shape as a brand for us to turn on each over. 

You seem to want to fix our personalities.

Good luck!

• Upvote 3

I hope it works out. I do have 2 worries...

Not sure it checks the box in recruiting and that's concerning. 

Another air raid guy means we will continue to be incompetent on defense. 

Like others have said, I don't love it and I don't hate it. But it appears to be, from a far, a status quo hire. As in I'm not sure what is going to be the wholesale difference between Littrell and Morris. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

My interpretation was that the main reason this guy was hired over others was that he dominated his interview. 

Dude I didn't love the hire initially but come on. He has proven to be a good offensive mind. And proven to be a good head coach.  Proven to get good qbs. Let's see what happens 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, HonestEagality said:

NT community when Eric Morris recruits a 1/2 star backup lineman out of Prosper TX that only had FCS and D2 offers…

”He’s keepin that talent home!!”B07F5620-2A87-4575-9824-CCB7F3220BE5.jpeg.ebbeed9b0910eaa22db96f4a35b811ae.jpeg

What about when get gets a 4 star qb transfer back home from the state of Oklahoma 

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Like others have said, I don't love it and I don't hate it. But it appears to be, from a far, a status quo hire. As in I'm not sure what is going to be the wholesale difference between Littrell and Morris. 

I do love it but those are my concerns as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Texas guy with connections and WSU was not air raid. Led the PAC 12 in a lot of categories.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

My guess is that it was money with Fuente.  He would likely have wanted $2.5-3 million for openers.

I'd guess any conversation with GR went the same way too. Dykes makes $6m, so we could guess GR makes 1-1.5m? If we offered him $2m TCU would absolutely be able to match and keep the best assistant in the country. 

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

One other random thought:

I really hope that Coach Morris and his family actually move to and make a home in Denton proper. Not Argyle or Northlake - the bougie neighbors. Nothing wrong with those communities and tons of the University brass live in those areas, but I think if you really want to ingrain yourself to the Denton community and University students, faculty, and staff - commit to being apart of it. Talk the talk AND walk the walk. TONS of really great places to live in Denton. 

I agree, I hope he moves to denton just like baker, mcasland, moseley......wait.....

Because that argyle bartonville.....wait....nmind 

Although I do hope he engages with the community better, I would like for him to win more football games.

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 6