Attendance?

shootermcgavin44

Here's my very casual fan view:  it cost me about $100 for 2 tickets, parking, and food last weekend.  I'm not going to spend that kind of money to sit in the rain and see a team I've never heard of.  $100 buys a lot of other types of fun.  If you want seats filled, the opponents really do matter.

Before you start flaming me, consider that I'm at least interested enough to be on the fan board.  

• Upvote 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, TripleGrad said:

Here's my very casual fan view:  it cost me about $100 for 2 tickets, parking, and food last weekend.  I'm not going to spend that kind of money to sit in the rain and see a team I've never heard of.  $100 buys a lot of other types of fun.  If you want seats filled, the opponents really do matter.

Before you start flaming me, consider that I'm at least interested enough to be on the fan board.  

You’re not wrong. Sure, we’d like to see l veld of attendance that gaggie had against Southeastern central LSU, but they’re a cult and it still wasn’t a sell out. Bottom line is the program is just now getting some forward momentum and we expect a grossly disinterested base to come out of the woodwork to watch a game in the rain against a team no one knows.  Not realistic unless we run off a ridiculous string of winning seasons.  My sophomore year opener was a Thursday night game against UNLV. As morbidly bad as the team was, because it was a recognized brand, here was 24k in the stands. 

I went to a birthday party with my son Sunday and ran into a fellow dad that I sometimes shoot sports talk with. I said that I spent my football capital spending all day at a football game Saturday and would not be watching the cowboys - here's how it played out:

"Mean Green, right""

"Yep..."

"I think I heard they are good this year."

"So far so good... We play Arkansas next week, so we will see."

"What? You guys have to play Arkansas, they aren't at the same level of college football. UNT isn't div i, right?"

"We are both div 1."

"But you guys don't play many div 1 teams, right? "

---------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it folks. We "good", but not "good, good", but div 1aa good. 

Our level of competition matters. I  know, just win. I think that too. But we can have a more nuanced feeling about these types of games.I hope they stop.. no more HBU, IWU, Liberty, Lamar.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, TripleGrad said:

So I'm curious...(I'm assuming you went to UNT given your name)

What will it take to take you from a "casual" fan to a "die hard" fan?

(I'm actually curious about this answer from all "casual" fans)

Edited by TheColonyEagle

3 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I went to a birthday party with my son Sunday and ran into a fellow dad that I sometimes shoot sports talk with. I said that I spent my football capital spending all day at a football game Saturday and would not be watching the cowboys - here's how it played out:

"Mean Green, right""

"Yep..."

"What? You guys have to play Arkansas, they aren't at the same level of college football. UNT isn't div i, right?"

"We are both div 1."

Our level of competition matters. I  know, just win. I think that too. But we can have a more nuanced feeling about these types of games.I hope they stop.. no more HBU, IWU, Liberty, Lamar.. 

That's because casual fans only see what the media tells them to see. 

Even a ton of diehard fans of blue blood programs only see what the media wants them to see. To the 'elite' programs' ignorant fans, us and Northeastern State are literally on the same playing level. A lot of my non Mean Green friends are fans of the elites, and most of them couldn't tell you what conference Appy State, San Jose, Toledo, or UH are in. They are oblivious outside of their bubble. 

We are in this conundrum because the media. Just like political media, sports media reigns no difference. They push their most profitable agenda at all times, and at all cost. 

In time, a more profitable approach would be to push the good teams, regardless of conference affiliation. Boost up, year to year, the good and competitive teams. So quit trying to prop up Texas in the preseason polls every year for the sake of the guaranteed dollar. Instead, make new dollars with new clientele. Market Boise, UCF, USF, SDSU, UNT, UH, LaTech a 1/4 of what they market UT, OU, Ohio St, Bama, etc. And a new fan base grows exponentially 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So I'm curious...(I'm assuming you went to UNT given your name)

What will it take to take you from a "casual" fan to a "die hard" fan?

(I'm actually curious about this answer from all "casual" fans)

Also given his name, maybe he is still paying off 3 degrees.   Maybe “money” is the answer. 

🤑

• Haha 1

Hi.

The official attendance was 41,288.

What you do is you take the number of people in line at La Mad, double that, add everyone in the stands, sextuple that, add in the number of people who pass by on 75 during the 3 hours of the game, and then round to the next highest 41,288.

Meanwhile our game was well attended.  According to pony rules, we had our usual 97,081.

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

"Mean Green, right""

"Yep..."

"We are both div 1."

Find a new dad to casually talk sports with.  That one doesn't seem very knowledgeable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, risinggreen said:

Most of the people that I told who we were playing laughed.

When people ask me who we are playing I always answering by saying, "You know, I go because I am a fan of North Texas and they deserve the support.  This week we are playing _____."  I want to plant in their head the importance of going because they should support North Texas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, TripleGrad said:

I've always said that the FCS games here are just disastrous for us--we get no lift in attendance, no media coverage, and your team either plays a nobody that doesn't help them prepare for the rest of your schedule (see Nicholls State in 2014 as an example) or you find out that your roster literally won't even try against them (see Portland State in 2015). 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I've always said that the FCS games here are just disastrous for us--we get no lift in attendance, no media coverage, and your team either plays a nobody that doesn't help them prepare for the rest of your schedule (see Nicholls State in 2014 as an example) or you find out that your roster literally won't even try against them (see Portland State in 2015). 

Exactly. A win against an FCS team is worth less than a loss against a P5.

I have friends and family from other states who will comment: "Oh North Texas huh? I remember watching them play Florida and hang tough. Cool!"

Nobody will ever give a shit about a blowout against Liberty or the Papal College of San Antonio. All it does is weaken an already weak brand. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The FCS model is a model we need to learn to get along with. We need W's and it provides W's. What we don't need is having to play 4 OOC games a season vs teams who have a legitimate shot at beating us. 2019 and 2020 OOC are very difficult slates. If we had no FCS and instead another P5 or respectable G5 opponent, it would create 0 room for error and potentially turbulent years. We need W's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

FCS games are a home win that counts toward bowl eligibility, just like for all the big boys that play them. It became necessary bc of the body bag scheduling, perhaps they go away in the next few years. But no one should feel ashamed we play them. 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

Wins will change things for the better.  We seem to have an administration and BOR dedicated to the athletic department for the first time in over forty years.  We have the best coaching staff since then as well and I mean across the board, all sports.  We also have a rising fan base and athletic department.  We are winning games and championships, scheduling is improving in addition to everything previously mentioned.  I believe we are on the verge of some really good things happening in our athletic programs just like forty years ago, but what followed was bad, a drop to 1-aa,  that still is a stain on our program.  That mistaken drop to 1-aa was part of an overall drop in our athletics.  We cannot let that happen again.  Sustaining our progress is the challenge I believe we must overcome.  Fans like and are loyal to winners.  Forty years ago,  TCU was a losing program and had been for a while.  Look at them now.  Dedication watching a no-name school in the rain because your team is playing....................
GO EAGLES!!!!!!

BEAT THE HOGS

6 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

Wins will change things for the better.  We seem to have an administration and BOR dedicated to the athletic department for the first time in over forty years.  We have the best coaching staff since then as well and I mean across the board, all sports.  We also have a rising fan base and athletic department.  We are winning games and championships, scheduling is improving in addition to everything previously mentioned.  I believe we are on the verge of some really good things happening in our athletic programs just like forty years ago, but what followed was bad, a drop to 1-aa,  that still is a stain on our program.  That mistaken drop to 1-aa was part of an overall drop in our athletics.  We cannot let that happen again.  Sustaining our progress is the challenge I believe we must overcome.  Fans like and are loyal to winners.  Forty years ago,  TCU was a losing program and had been for a while.  Look at them now.  Dedication watching a no-name school in the rain because your team is playing....................

The city of Fort Worth really bought into the university.

We can't get that from Denton because it would be "showing favoritism" over TWU.

There's really only 1 way we can get over that hump, and that's for the UNT system to somehow acquire TWU.

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We can't get that from Denton because it would be "showing favoritism" over TWU.

There's really only 1 way we can get over that hump, and that's for the UNT system to somehow acquire TWU.

What would it really take to acquire TWU and make it our (UNT) own? 

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Fort Worth is also the 15th largest city in the US. Denton is small potatoes comparatively.

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

What would it really take to acquire TWU and make it our (UNT) own? 

Full Thread Hijack Mode:
The bureaucracy of it all is a sausage maker to me.  Chancellor Roe needs to flex her system's strength & make it happen.   There should be other targets for the system to acquire as well, but TWU (especially that Nursing school) needs to be a priority.

2 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Exactly. A win against an FCS team is worth less than a loss against a P5.

I have friends and family from other states who will comment: "Oh North Texas huh? I remember watching them play Florida and hang tough. Cool!"

Nobody will ever give a shit about a blowout against Liberty or the Papal College of San Antonio. All it does is weaken an already weak brand. 

Nothing could be further from the truth.

A nice home win and it counts toward bowl eligibility.

Any real College football fan will know that period.   

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Full Thread Hijack Mode:
The bureaucracy of it all is a sausage maker to me.  Chancellor Roe needs to flex her system's strength & make it happen.   There should be other targets for the system to acquire as well, but TWU (especially that Nursing school) needs to be a priority.

Why would the UNT System want to acquire TWU? You would think they would be more interested in enlarging the system's footprint geographically (like the Frisco and McKinney locations), rather than creating duplication in Denton.

• Sad 1